Hello from an Organic Nerd new to the site

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Greasemonkeyman, Dec 17, 2014.

1. #1 Greasemonkeyman, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to this site, but not new to this hobby.
    Just thought I'd say hello, i'll be hanging out almost exclusively in the organic section here.
    I'm strictly an organic grower, my first harvest (if you could call it that) was waaay back in 1989. Popped my first beans hours after Kirk Gibson hit his homerun off Dennis Eckersley.
    Normally I run three 600w ballasts, with a 2/1 ratio of HPS to MH.
    I have 12 and 15 gallon no-till pots with a peat based soil, I use pumice, volcanic rock, oyster shells and biochar for my aeration, for minerals I use granite dust, azomite, greensand, rock phosphates, and oyster flour.
    The amendments I like to use are neem meal, kelp meal, crab meal, and this round i'm adding my own super chitin rich insect "meal" which consists of essentially chicken feed, which is whole dead crickets and mealworms... Mashed all those up and added at a half cup per cubic foot, can't wait to try it.
    I recently had to make more soil (landlord through out my no-tills.. :eek: ) On my new batch I left out my fish bone meal, and replaced with aforementioned insect meal, and a lil more leaf compost.
    I have my own wormbin(s), and also have my own compost pile which is mostly really old redwood  pinen-needles, added alfalfa to get some nitrogen in there to up the temps, oak and maple leaves. Oh and I chuck all the mushrooms that pop up, in there as well, I live in a redwood forest so when it's wet, there are hundreds of mushrooms everywhere, and they are freakin HUGE. Contrary to popular belief, pine needles are almost a neutral ph after they turn black, good stuff for compost piles.
    Anyways, I also use SSTs, AACTs, topdress with mulch (comfrey and dandelion composted) and nutrient teas from comfrey, dandelion, and French lavender.
    Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself, you guys seem like a good group, I was getting rather frustrated on another un-named site.
    I was referred here by a fellow organic nerd, Patanjali (helluva guy) and I wish I came here sooner. :metal:

2. Sup, what plants you growing atm?

Why do we call it the third eye? When really it could be the first

3. Damn dude, seems like you've got a killer set-up. Welcome to the organics section, your experience will be a much valued asset to our discussions. :hello: :smoke: :wave:

4. Well, it's sorta a clusterf&%k right now.
    I'm downsizing from a 1800w setup to a 1200w, and sharing the space with my landlord...
    From clone I have the following,
    Bluedream, Jack herer, and 4-5 diff phenos of purple paralysis (cloned from flowering mums)
    also from clone, gorilla glue #4, chemdog 4, mango haze, hardcore og, xj-13, girl scout cookies and double dream.
    From seed I have
    Tutankhamon (3)
    sugarpunch (3)
    sannie's freebie Mad scientist X jackberry (2)
    a single seed from my awesome sativa Kai (not mist) unknown father, killer sativa smoke, but it literally got over 6 feet high when flowered at 18" (outside!)
    hmm, I know im missing a few at least..

5. What's up greasemonkey,
    Thought i recognized you from RIU. I don't post much over there but pop in once in a while.

You will like GC way more active/helpful.

6. Thank you! I appreciate the kind words, I feel I have a fairly firm grasp on the organic growing, but I am still learning, SSTs are somewhat of a new concept for me, and I LOVE the results.
    Als i'm somewhat new at using other plants for nutrients (comfrey, dandelion, bio-dynamic accumulators)
    Certainly don't know it all, but i'm learning always

7. Hows it going my friend, yeah, i'm liking this site much more!
    I'm so, so tired of the weird "cock-measuring" drama that the guys over there are always doing.
    Glad to have alternatives nowadays, I just remember the late 90s where the ONLY resources were Rosenthal or Cervantes...

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Welcome to GCO, G'man!

Always good to have another ex-patriot organophile around!

9. #9 Greasemonkeyman, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm liking this site for sure, good stuff, and a good vibe.
    Hah, my first "quality" grow was done with a non-remote ballast 400w Mh meant for a warehouse, that thing weighed like probably 50 lbs at least, and put out a metric asston of BTUs. But compared to my orchard supply shop light that MH made me some NICE nugs, from there I was hooked.

10. Welcome, youll fit right in here! :wave:

Nice to meet you! :)
    ~ poke

11. Thanks pokesmot, good name by the way, remember reading that phrase yrs ago at the back of a hightimes, remember the saying they listed in the back?
    Hmm do they still do that? Damn it's been decades since I picked up one of those... In fact I think the last one I bought was regarding the 1999 cannabis cup

12. great attitude...i don't think any of us know it all...yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I really couldnt say,ive never been much of a hightimes reader.

My brother said it would be a good username about 15 years ago and it kinda stuck in the back of my head all that time :)

14. ¡Hola senor! ¿Como esta usted? ;)

Glad to see you made it over here mang!

http://youtu.be/WCwKaNIdsTQ

P-

15. How's it going greasemonkey! Welcome to GCO!

16. GMM - welcome to the Organics forum.

J

17. Nice ta meet ya...always nice to see another organic grower join the board....

18. And we're so glad you made it! Welcome aboard.

19. thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I look forward to spending my work hours on this site! :laughing:
    It's been pouring rain, so you'll probably see more of my posts soon enough.