Dabs: Rig vs. Pen?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by kristenrose, Dec 16, 2014.

1. So I'd like to know what people prefer, obviously a pen is great when being discrete and most people enjoy rigs more, but I'm interested on opinions. Which do you prefer and why? Is buying a vape worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. a vape pen is totally different from an actual rig. if you're going to be dabbing in the foreseeable future, pick up a nice rig. if you only get oil occasionally, a vape pen should do you well. 

3. Dabbing is superior in every way IMO. 

The only thing pens have over rigs is convenience. You just take a little glob and stick it in their and your good to go. Depends on the wax you get but the stuff I have right now is a little dry and getting it to stick to my tool can be a bitch sometimes.

You also get higher with dabs.

In the end you are still vaping with both methods so  it depends on your personal situation. I have both and prefer dabbing.

I like sitting at my desk taking dabs and watching tv though. 

4. Most vape pens designed for oil will burn the errl rather than vape it

5. check out the Sway Vapes pen its designed for low temp

6. Honestly I would never buy a vape pen again.

It's a night n day difference and I feel like I'm waisting my errl in a pen.

7. i feel that dude. Nothin like usin a rig.

8. Rigs... A wax pen is nothing like it... 

9. Hmm alright luckily my boyfriend got a pen that I can use on vacations or whenever needed but I also just got a rig so I'll only use the pen is desperate situations, thanks everyone!

10. #10 showbe345, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    You need to use sub ohm builds in a RDA / Mech mod to have it hit like a dab on a T nail. 

I sub ohm at like .3 - .5 and it will have you hitting dabs just like a torched nail.

Most g-pens and pens arent that great because they dont get hot enough. In some RDA's you can roll your own coils using Ceramic rods, SS mesh, or Ekowool as your wicking material. SS mesh is great for vertical style builds.

11. Much much prefer a rig, the smoke you get off one can not be matched by a pen, the same as taste and harshness. i always use a rig, see this video to see the one i have :)

12. rigs > pens everyday

13. Definitely a rig.

14. Oil rig....it even sounds cooler lol

15. Pens dont get you high enough but they have their place in the stoners arsenal

16. Honestly, it's all preference. Vapes do not work for me AT ALL. I've owned or tried almost all of them.. volcano, SSV, herbal light, magic flight box, tons of vape pens, and tons I just can't remember at the moment. I actually recently ordered a vape pen kit with the ClouTank M4 and tried both herb and wax for a simple driving or on-the-go smoking but it just sucks man. The vape pens aren't really vape to be honest, they pretty much combust 99% of the time, but still it was just terrible... Sold it on craigslist and replaced it with a 7pipe... so much better.

So if you want on-the-go get a pipe and a lighter or look up the 7pipe for 1handed driving pipe, it's fuckin great.

If you want a real piece to use daily, save up and get a rig man. They are so cheap now too. You could get a small quality glass rig, quartz banger and torch for under $100 at LHS if you can talk a bit or maybe $120-140 if you buy everything at sticker price. And with concentrates, the smaller and simpler = THE BETTER. You don't want a 10-chamber w/ 10 5-arm tree perc's because this isn't flower and you don't need to diffuse the hit, you want to TASTE the hit!

17. Curious what you mean when you say vapes don't work for you at all, especially when your naming the SSV...Do you not get high off of them even a little? If so that is super confusing to me, because every product 7th floor makes produces some serious vapor and gets me nice and stoned (granted, it is totally different than a smoking high)

Having said that, when it comes to concentrates, a rig is 100% better hands down both taste and efficiency wise. But when it comes to flower, I can like smoking a bong pack or ripping a nice pack through my LSV for an hour and enjoy both very much in their own way.

To me, vape pens are useful when you are trying to be discreet when out on the town, and that is about it. When at home, use a rig and take dabs all day.

18. It's pretty much the same as a joint for me.. I get a light buzz for 10-15 minutes and that's about it.