1st buck with a bow - big 8pt down

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by scout695, Dec 16, 2014.

1. #1 scout695, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
    I got my first doe with a bow last year. The bow was my dads old 1990s Hoyt. I ran across a deal on a Matthews z7 I just couldn't pass up a few months ago. Finally got some time last week to set it up and practice. Got to where I was shooting a good group consistently at 40yds so I got my confidence up.

Last Thursday I took my her out in order to try to get my first kill with it. I was set up between a big bean field and an extremely thick swamp, hoping to catch the deer on their way to the field before dark. I hadn't seen much of anything until right at dark I spotted a nice rack working out of the swamp. He never came in range but I knew it was a buck that I wanted to shoot. Friday evening I hunted the field he was heading to in hopes that I would catch him in the field. I saw several does and small bucks but he didn't show.

Saturday morning I didn't have long to hunt so I went to one of my usual meat stands that I shoot a lot of does out of. At 6:45 a doe made her way down the ridge. I prepared to shoot her but she kept acting like something was following her. Finally after she made her way through and out of range I was completely dejected that I let a perfect shot get away. Suddenly I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and there he was! He finally worked his way to about 8yds! I settled the pins and touched off the release. He ran about 50yds and piled up in sight!

Not my biggest buck ever but I'm gonna shoulder mount him. I killed him about 500yds from where I saw him just a few nights ago.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418704005.424525.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418704017.581478.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418704028.152507.jpg

**edit. Meant to put 9pt in the title**

2. Nice shot, man. Congrats on the clean kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Nice. Good job.

4. Congrats! Been bowhunting 41 yrs. Taken 36 bucks. Not all have been trophies but all have been bucks. Great to read your story. How long have you been bowhunting? I'm in Winona Co., MN. with Buffalo Co., WS. right across the Mississippi. North American Whitetail mag. lists these as the top counties in the U.S. for the number of P&Y bucks taken each season. We compete with each other for the # 1 rating each year. Remember to hold your head high as bowhunters are the undisputed BEST hunters out there! It's great to see young guys like yourself carrying on the sport. I'm 55 yrs. old and can still climb trees better than most 12 year olds! And I still get every bit as excited when deer are near as I did when I was 12! I'll bowhunt until I die. Be proud of your accomplishment (and it IS an accomplishment!) It's never easy sticking a buck! I've always said that your success rate is DIRECTLY proportional to the amount of work you are willing to put in. The harder you work at it, the "luckier" you'll be! The BEST tip I ever received was "get as high up the tree as you can stand to be. I try to get at least 20 ft. up. They don't see anything way up there! Keep in touch and keep on bowhunting!  And remember, you are now a member of the most skilled group of hunters that are in the woods! Be Proud!
                                                                                       Phezisica    (Lakota Souix for Cannabis)   I'm 25% Souix.

P.S. - I got an 8 point myself on Nov.16. - 16" spread.

5. Been bow hunting around 4 or 5 years or so. Got my first last year which was a doe, and actually shot another doe this evening with the Matthews! It's almost the same as the rush of hearing my Beagles smoke ones ass! I hunt in eastern North Carolina. Not a big buck state but with a little hard work and some luck big bucks can be killed around here. The biggest problem around my farm is poachers.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. this thread was a really good read! what an astonishing way of life! like a fantasy!

7. Nice kill man

8. Nice buck, brother!  :hello:

I got a decent bow for Christmas last year, practiced with it over the spring and summer, and managed to kill a doe and a little six pointer this year. I've always preferred rifles for deer hunting, but I might be converted! Or at least enjoying some diversity :smoke:

9. You used a compound that's cheeatting ;)

10. Scout! Long time no see lol how's your season going? Here in TN we were trying out new land and my seasons been a bust all year

11. tumblr_mya8c9L77J1s053epo1_1280.jpg

Scout695.... I don't know when your season opens, but up here it's gonna open Sept. 12. I've shot 4 bucks in my life on opening day. Also missed the biggest buck I've ever seen, also on opening day. Around here, there is some action on opening weekend and then they ALL disappear to that big cave they all go to... you know, the one nobody has found yet. Last week of October is when the rut starts around here. I'll be in a tree every minute I can for the last week of Oct. and the first week of November. I've been shooting and clearing brush/putting up stands. Hope you have a great season and shoot another "He-ray". Best of luck, there are not enough young people like you out there anymore. Does my heart good when I talk to/hear about serious young Bowhunters like yourself. Go out and "stick" a big one! Your friend from Minnesota, Phezisica
    I included a picture of my Jeep. It's a BEAST! Plus a couple of bucks I've taken - just remember, I've been seriously
    hunting them for 42 years!
    DSC_0751.JPG DSC_0844.JPG

IMG_20140917_120046 (2).jpg