Total darkness last week will pistils and trichomes turn colors?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Smokey Bernie, Dec 15, 2014.

1.     Hey friends, Does anyone know if putting a plant in darkness for the last week or so if the pistils and trichomes will continue/start to change? Im at 10 wks or so but had some cold weather issues that stunted growth and this plant just didnt really fatten up like the others that didnt get that cold. Thanks for any info!

2. I have never used a dark period at the end of flower because of my grow itself, but many others do it and will speak to it shortly I assume.

I wouldn't expect it to make up for any stunting issues previous, just think people say it finishes them up nicely.

3. I've tried a dark period with several grows and didnt with others..the only difference I could see was a lower power bill. The Plants didnt differ at all though some swear by it...even some big time growers...I just found it makes no difference in the times I have done it....your call.

have to agree with BB, nothing and i mean nothing changes that much when you can measure it in hours....

5. Yeah... really I was wondering if my trichomes will go amber in dark or if they actually need light to do this. I've only been growing for 3 yrs and have never tried this and really needed the room. Guess we'll find out. This sun will be a week in darkness.

tirchomes will go amber over time no matter what we do, all we have at our disposal is methods of limiting this as much as possible. it's the degradation of THC into CBN it happens while the plant is alive and continues even after cure.

7.  So Al, do you tend to harvest when you're trichomes are cloudy or cloudy to some amber? I guess it depends on what level of medicated you wanna be. I tend to go cloudy with some amber myself.

i'll paste a reply to another thread.

"
    trichomes are one of 4 things i look for in determining when to cut, 1-trichomes 2- leaves and 3- pistils 4- water usage drops . when my trichomes are mostly milky with some amber, when most pistils are browning or turning colors, turning inward and not white maybe 85-90 % of the buds and last the leaves on most, i say most because not all yellow and drop alike, are dropping and looking like yours are. and when they reduce water consumption. when all four of these occur i plan on a cut.

trichomes alone cannot judge when a plant is ready in my opinion."

i like cloudy with some clear, but i tell you something, you will be hard pressed to get the girls to go just the way you want before they are ready.

in other words you can have a plant that is done, with very little if any amber and vise versa. some plants will amber before their time and some wont get much amber at all. which is why i use the method above. HTH brotha

9. Just cut them down when they are ripe, don't waste time with a dark period. Hippy bro sicience myth.

10. As soon as my lab results get emailed I'll post it here. With the darkness and without. Squeezing an extra 2-4% thc can really make the difference between good meds and outstanding meds.

11. The only way the lab results would show anything is if you had multiple plants tested in a dark period and multiple tested without, ie control plants.

J