Should I take my guinea pig to the vet?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Tokinsince2012, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Hey guys. I have a guinea pig named Charlie. It's been possibly two years since I took him to the vet and he's starting to act up a little bit and it's making me kinda worried...
    He's in a small cage in my room with a large plastic house, a spinning hay wheel, and a food bowl on the side of the cage. he has to stand on his hind paws to stick his head down into it. It's the lowest I could bring it. He's also got his large water bottle of course. There are no other guinea pigs living with him or any other animals around.
    Lately, whenever I'm in my room, he starts making a noise kind of like he wants food or that he suspects that I have food. he stands up and puts his paws on the cage wires or his house or whatever he can stand himself up on. He has hay 24/7, I give him 6 table spoons of food a day, his water is always full and clean, and I even trim his nails once they seem to get too long. Yet he still makes a lot of noise and runs around his cage like he wants or expects something from me. I often walk up to his cage and pet him for a minute or two. when I scratch his back he starts biting on his nails. if i scratch lower he gets really twitchy and he'll kick or squirm and run away. I let him nibble on my fingers because he doesn't usually bite that hard, but lately hes been biting a lot harder and pulling on my skin. He hasn't made me bleed yet, but it damn feels like he's trying to. I've had him for 3+ years now. Some of this I have just assumed it's typical guinea pig behavior, but I really started to worry one night when I was just laying in bed in my room as quiet as can be, and I hear him faintly squeal as if he's in pain. I look at him and he's just laying in his house. It only lasts for a few seconds, and eventually he'll stop and do his normal guinea pig thing. but he's done this on two separate occasions now. And I'm just not so sure about him. What are your guys' opinions? I'm pretty sure I should take a trip to the vet, though it's not that easy to find one that handles guinea pigs around here. But I'll make the effort if it's for his health. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Do you know how old he was when you got him? 

Average guinea pig lifespan is only 5-7 years. If he was already an adult when you got him, he could just be getting old.... but yeah if you want him to live as long as possible and it's worth the money to you, then absolutely take him to the vet. :confused_2: 

3. That would be my nightmare, me laying in bed while my guinea pig squeals in pain.
    OH GOD THE HUMANITY!
    By the way, being serious. Sorry I can't help ya with Charlie. When in doubt, take him to the vet.

4. Take him to the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I got him from petsmart when I was 16. He's still got a lot of time left, im sure. I'm just not sure if it's worth it financially to get him looked at and come back with nothing. Money is tight.

6. he either sounds like he's in pain or he's lonely. I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference.

7. Go to pet smart and ask them about his issues. Maybe they'll know. Or get a book or google? You never really know how much life they have left. Sad but true :(

8. #8 *guest, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

Yeah... I can't deny I'd probably feel the same way in your shoes. You've had him for 3 years dude, I mean he could already be 5 years old right? Petsmart takes horrible care of their pets in a lot cases anyway. Average 5-7 year lifespan doesn't mean he will live for 7 years, that's the high end. It's like an 11 year old dog. Yeah it could live another couple years, but it could also die tomorrow. 

That's the hard part with old pets, really. You gotta weigh whether another potential year (or even less) is worth the cost of the vet visit. And in some cases, whether it's worth the trauma of a vet visit. 

Wishing the best for your guinea pig though. 

9. He was about the size of my hand when I got him. He's shown absolutely no signs of aging, just getting bigger. I'm pretty sure he's got at least 1 year minimum. 3 might be pushing it. And yeah, he didn't have a problem with the vet until they stuck a thermometer up his ass, which he was kind of calm about lol.

10. season it and throw that fucker in the bbq sure are tasty

That's something, but it's still up to whether you feel like the benefit outweighs the cost. And that's all you, man. 

So brave :rolleyes: 

12. congratz on 50k posts! thats crazy.

op; if you are happy to lose abit of money for the possible benefit of your pig then yes take it to the vet. 

13. Thanks guys I appreciate your feedback. I'll try and get him to the vet eventually, but right now I've got other bills I need to take care of first. Once this second job comes in things will get a lot easier.

14. I'd go fuckin crazy too if my entire world consisted of a small bit of area surrounded by bars with a house that takes up the majority of that space and the rest is taken up by bullshit that helps make me fat for 3+ years.. but I think it's fine, my guinea pig is a couple years older and has been doing that stuff for a while now too. Think it just comes with age. But.. if it really bothers you that much, I'd say take him to the vet. Better to have piece of mind than have your buddy die on you.

15. Cavies are social animals.  Being alone causes them intense anxiety and psychological trauma.

You need to take them out when you're home.  I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but you literally are torturing him unwittingly.

The reason it's squealing is because it wants to be with you.  At the very least get a second cavie.

16. i know cavies are social animals. I didn't know that when I first got him, but a second guinea pig is definitely not an option. I'll try and let him out more

17. Search Vitality Science- they sell all natural supplements and remedies for pets. You could email or call to ask

Does he receive vitamin C supplements, or a slice of orange daily?

I only ask because I remember that being a big deal, that guinea pigs really need a source of vitamin C in their diets, its important for their wellbeing.

Guinea pigs can have some strange behaviours too, it could be he wants more food, he is bored and food makes him happy. He equates you to food, and wants you to give him food. They squeal and make sounds and movements that don't make a lot of sense to us, its how they communicate with each other. 
    He is probably feeling a bit bored and isolated too, he could be acting out because of that. 

19. He needs a friend they are very social animals.

20. The tiny petsmart cage you have is probably bad for his health. They were never meant to be in a cage smaller than 4 foot by 2 foot. I have my piggie in one that big, he gets exercise while I'm not around and I think that helps. But I do think he's lonely. I also haven't got another piggie and I'm sure it's bad for his mental well being, but my piggie is an asshole and bites to cause pain for no reason much of the time; when I hold him, he will bite me hard if it's more than a minute or two he is out. So I worry that as a male piggie he might try to kill another male if I introduced them. If he were nicer..., I'd consider getting another piggie. But I can't afford to house two piggies separately just because he has mental issues that he had since day one. My piggie has made me bleed more than once. I'm looking to get a python next for a pet. Pythons don't bite, and they're fun to hang with. My guniea pig is just a fucker.