Soil mix and nutes for 1st grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Walton Simons, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Hey yall, I've got almost all the stuff I need for my 1st grow, the last major thing missing is the growing medium, which seems to me like the most important and complicated thing.

I'm looking to start two Dinafem Blue Kush feminized in smaller pots eventually transplanted to 3 gal pots, in a DS60 2.5 (2x2x5), either a scrog or lst with 250w MH/HPS. Now for the soil I was initally going to do organic but my friend gave me the rest of his AN 3 part and Big Bud which is practically full so I thought I'd use that to save a bit since it's my frist grow.

From what I've read and what's available in the area it looks like a Pro Mix potting mix, perlite, vermiculite, dolomite lime and ewc mix would work and be simple enough to go out and buy. Now here's a few things I'd like to ask:

Anyone with experience with those type of mixes see this as viable? I've seen some ratios but not exactly for the exact same promix and amendments.

Also anyone use AN products with those mixes? Did you feed seedling or is the mix enough for the first few weeks? In a smaller pot before transplanting, use all the ingredients, half of them, only promix and perlite?

I've found alot of info online but many is different and some conflicting, so I thought I'd try to get a direct answer here. What would you do in this case? keeping in mind I'd like to use the AN nutes rather than buy some new ones. Would you add or remove some of those ingredients.

Cheers

2. #2 Mad_Prophessor, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
    My mix is pretty simple and works great.  One bail of pro mix.  One big bag of organic EWC.  One big bag of organic lobster compost.  4 cups of organic blood meal.  This mix can take you to flower without feeding.

The lobster compost really gives the ganja a sweet flavor.

Do you start seeds in the final mix or just in promix, and what do you use for bloom feeding?

This is the soil I'm looking at: http://www.promixfindgrowtopia.com/product/detail/pro-mix-ultimate-potting-mix

Looks like there's already some amendments in there, as well as mycorrhizae, not sure what that controlled release fertilizer is. Probably not as good compared to the more popular ones like HP(impossible to find here) and BX, so might have to add extra perlite/lime. Don't think I could get lobster compost though, could try to find an alternative.

4. You can use that soil mix for everything.  I am sure you can find the lobster compost, you just have to look.  Any garden supply store will have it.  

As far as food goes, I use Blue Planet organic high yield system.  It has a simple to follow schedule and my girls love it.