Santas beard mycelium leading to powdery mildew?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Full Spectrum, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Here's one I have been contemplating. 

During my last run in a 48sf grow tent things were swimming along great until powerdy mildew came outta no where and forced an early chop, only by 1-2 weeks tops. The PM didn't make it into the buds, that I could see at 60x anyway, but did hit about 10-20% of the foliage.

My canopy did get over crowded, lots of air circulation however. I even setup air underneath the canopy, there was not a single blade that didn't see some air movement. Humidity and temperature were under control but near the end I noticed 70% rh in the first 30min before it would drop below 50%. My guess is that I saw a high point of 70% twice a day, coenciding with my watering schedule of every 12 hr. My rh meter only has min/max, no time line. 

I don't think the above is enough to set off PM, but I could be wrong and probably am, lol.

About 7-10 days before this the Santa's beard from my last tea application died off. That made me wonder if the fungi in my soil could live on my plants and present as powdery mildew. Seems unlikely but not that unlikely if conditions are right, for instance if some tea splashed on the blades. I hand water "teas" weekly and there is always some that lands on the plants in ways I  rather it didn't.

Any thoughts?