DC: Looks Like Congress will Block Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by lessthanjeezy, Dec 9, 2014.

1. what a bitch...

if this happens, i vote the citizens of D.C. either protest, smoke-in on the steps of capital hill, sue the government, or just refuse to pay taxes since their will is being misrepresented... "no taxation without representation" as they say...congress can't have it two ways, if a state can legalize rec and you say its okay, you can't say no to your backyard... 

2. Congress and the House already both passed the bill.

Protests have already happened last week and they will continue protests and unfortunately since DC is not a state, they do have the right to block it and it looks like that will be most likely what happens, unless they get a loophole since the wording of the bill bars enacting any legislation to lesson penalties, but since the voters said yes, technically it was already enacted when the voting closed so that is the argument they will be using to try to keep the law in place, although there would be no framework for stores or legal sales so it would create a black market by default.

3. Yes it will be interesting to see how this works out.  From what I have read, they are going to send it to Congress and essentially force them to address the issue separately.  The biggest hurdle I see is that the District can not spend any money to do this, so they are either going to 1) use excess funds from previous budget years or 2) get donations to cover the cost of sending the legislation to Congress.

It will be interesting.  But since this was just a budgetary action on Congresses part, there is nothing that forces the Mayor, Chief of Police and Prosecutor from arresting/prosecuting anyone for being under the limits set by the statute.  So in that sense it is already defacto enacted.  Just no shops.

4. #24 enjoyandlive, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
    well theres a measure that restricts the Department of justice power with cannabis. i hope it gets through

http://www.theweedblog.com/congress-ending-federal-state-conflict-on-medical-marijuana/

5. It doesn't cost anything to enact 71.

No, but there will some cost to send it to Congress.  Minimal, but some cost for paper, postage etc.  That is the question as to whether or not they can do that.

As far as enacting it, they are free to just stop enforcing the current law.  That doesn't cost anything.

7. #27 cmgreenonetwo, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    yeah but that cost can come from the reserve or donation. Doesn't matter cause it will be denied. I wanted to shut down NY and Fl ave but had no support. We did march and shut down Mass ave for over an hour. The police said they wouldn't arrest us. I think Mayor Bowser is now supporting it without tax and sale. Hopefully she just tells the Chief not to arrest under two ounces and six plants. I voted for medical in 98. We won then too but it was also blocked.

8. No tax and no sale but grow your own and no arrest.
    What more could you ask for. This is the best bill out of all of them.

9. Very true, I don't need a store to go buy it at, if I legally could grow that would be a hobby I would enjoy a ton.

10. you can. Look up capital city hydroponics in DC petworth area. Like 5 blocks from the metro. Chris is very helpful. Also I asked and haven't had one problem with cops around the store pestering people. Just remember you only talk about your tomatoes plant and nothing else. They know what you mean.

11. I love it.

12. Unfortunately I do not live in the DC area, in NJ outside of Philadelphia...I am just a huge advocate for an end to cannabis prohibition in the United States and any victory makes me happy, even if it isn't near me.