Weed isnt addictive, but it can form a dependancy?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by imageek, Dec 9, 2014.

1. #1 imageek, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
    This is purely from personal experience here.

I see a lot of people saying weed isn't addictive. And sure, it isn't. But I do feel it's possible to build up a dependancy on weed to the point where you need it.

It's happened to me, and friends/family. I'm a daily smoker, have been for about 6 months now - although I have been smoking on and off 15 years. I used to go through an ounce every 4 days, but I quickly stopped doing that. I now smoke 2 grams a day. Not a fat lot, but hear me out.

If I don't go without weed I get irritable, frustrated, and seem to get more snappy and argumentative. Anger kicks in at times. These only last a short while, but generally when I don't smoke I will be depressed.

As I've said in previous posts. I smoke because before I smoked I was a mess, and smoking helps me. I have aspergers, anxiety and depression. Life is pretty tough without weed, even with meds from my pshyc.

I'm just not liking the mental state of mind I'm put into when I don't smoke weed.

Maybe it's because I have mental issues prior to smoking, and because weed helps me calm and deal with life. Everything is ordered. But, when I don't smoke I am thrown back into the chaotic life.

I don't know if these disappear, I've never stayed weed free for longer than a day.

Either way, I don't like it. I'm getting narky at loved ones and people I really shouldn't be.

I know this isn't the same for everyone, and I know I need to probably stop smoking weed for a bit and deal with the problems that are making me feel like this.

But, how can I stop and at the same time not get angry, depressed, etc?

Weed has helped me so much in life, and it will continue to, but the for the moment I feel Mary Jane is telling me to take a break and deal with some important issues.

Help? ....

Ps. yes I've posted similar threads in the past .... because it's actually a problem for me lol

2. Kinda sounds like its a medicine for you..

3. Marijuana is said not to have addictive properties but honestly you can become addicted to doing anything.

4. I get pissed when I don't have weed. That's it. I'm more irritable. 

5. I mean if you ever seen anyone or have had a real addiction yourself you'd probably laugh at anyone who says theyre addicted to bud

6. that being said its like if someone gave you ice cream that tasted like a full blown mouth orgasm its so good its the best ice cream in the whole universe.. wouldn't you wanna eat it all the time? same goes for weeeeeed hahaha

7. I can empathize with you OP, however, I believe you are just seeing the weed in a negative light. If you were to go off of your other meds, your symptoms would also worsen, would they not? You need to understand that weed is working as another medicine for you, and you should regard it as thus.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I don't like not having weed either. It is what it is.

if you take away a child's toy he will throw a fit. Was he addicted to it?

9. Yes you can form a dependency on it. You can also psychologically get addicted to anything that releases endorphins (masturbating, video games, etc.

10. Any daily smoker gets irritable when they can't smoke. I'm the same way. You get so used to being chill and relaxed all the time that when you can't smoke you get mad easier.

11. sounds like common pot "withdrawal" symptoms. insomnia, irritability

12. Im dependent on it right now because college is stressful, and its a good relaxer in the middle of the day or at the end of the day. Honestly, i can write papers on it, drive, still function like a normal human being. honestly, if people with anxiety took this, they can live normally like everyone else. they would still have normal emotions and not be en empty emotional shell from anti anxiety/depresion pills. I can stop any time. but even if I am not stressed, ill smoke just to get high, eat, play smash or other video games and sleep. or ill smoke in combination with alcohol and just turn the fuck up.

13. You can become addicted to anything even ice cream. Theres justno physical addiction all in your head

14. If you use any medicine to treat any physical ailment you will become physically addicted because your body is relying on that drug to feel normal. It is obviously not as intense as say an alcohol addiction, but it is still a physical addiction.

I am physically addicted to zantac and that's not nearly as effective of a GI treatment as marijuana is.

15. Marijuana is not PHYSICALLY addictive, but it has the potential to be PSYCHOLOGICALLY addictive. Anything that significantly alters brain chemistry and state of consciousness or mood has the potential to be at least somewhat addictive.

If people can get addicted to chocolate or exercise, is a marijuana addiction really that far-fetched? I love herb as much as the next guy, but saying that it's impossible to be addicted to it is nothing short of gross misinformation.

16. It is physically addictive if you use it to treat a physical ailment.

I suppose insomuch as a person on pain meds for said physical ailment would be addicted to the aforementioned pain meds, which is to say they're probably not so much addicted to the substance as they are addicted to the relief that their chosen substance brings them.

18. Anything and everything can be addictive. Even things that are considered "healthy"

19. #19 Cactus Ed, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
    Some are confusing addiction with wants, needs, or habits.  You need food but food isn't addictive. You put on your seatbelt when you get in a car but wouldn't go for a drive just to put on a seatbelt.

Ice cream is seductive but eat it too often and it loses it's appeal. 

20. ????

Food isn't addictive. But overeating and stress eating can become an addiction.