Beginner Grow- Rough start

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by e1gh1.88, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Hi guys,

I have just joined this forum but have have visted grasscity on many occasions. I decided it was time to have a go seting up a small indoor tent grow. I tried to do as much research as possible to get off to a good start but I have run into some problems.

I am trying to grow a Pinapple Punch by Autoseeds and Barneys Farm Tangerine Dream.

After the germination of PP I planted PP in Searles 5 in 1, adding in a bit of dynamic lifter and perlite. I began to notice that the soil became VERY clumpy and there wasn't alot of drainage going on. It did not take very well to this media and after almost a month the plant is no bigger than 1.5 inches tall and 1.5 inches across. After 2 weeks I replanted in Hortico's general potting mix adding dynamic lifter and perlite again.

I germinated and sprouted the Tangerine Dream and it seems to be doing okay but I have a feeling it will turn out like the PP if I don't make a change or two.  In the last few days the PP's leaves started  curling up and look burned at the tips and it seem's growth has slowed almost to a stop. (could be nute burn and also possibly drowning roots?)

I have now transplanted both into Hortico's general potting mix adding no extra's to the mix and have given the seedlings some water to flush any extra nutrients. I noticed as I transplanted that the PP's roots were very small and looked underdevelopped, and the soil was clumpy as saturated. (I think some of the soil the initial media got transplanted as well. However the roots of the Tangerine dream were 3 times longer and the plants only 10 days old now (TD has only been in the Hortico soil)

I hope my last actions were steps to solving this problem. I didn't realise how easy it could be to stuff this up.

Also I am currently using a 24W CFL 6400k bulb on these seedlings but have a MH-250W, 4" fan and carbon filter on standby for when they start taking off. 

Sorry if this post was hard to read.

Here are some pics:

PP Day 23
    Day 23.JPG

PP Day 25
    Day 25.JPG

TD Day 10
    Day 10.JPG

2. But frazzled alright, third one looks ok though, are they in different pots

3. Searles 5in1 is a soil amendment, not soil.  It's meant to be used in outdoor gardens in preexisting soil...

5IN1TM Organic Plant Food is a brilliant organic plant food containing Cow, Fowl and Sheep Manures, Mushroom Compost, Zeolite, Blood & Bone, hoof and horn plus added Trace Elements and Minerals. Mix one part 5IN1TM Organic Plant Food to three parts existing soil to enrich the soil and provide long term organic nutrients to plants. Flowers and vegetables respond extremely well to this product.

http://www.searles.com.au/SoilMixesComposts.html

What's "dynamic lifter"?

If you added perlite to the Hortico potting soil, you didn't add nearly enough.

If you want to learn how to mix your own soil, stop by the organic's forum.  That's all we do...

4. #4 e1gh1.88, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
    Thanks for the responses.

Boxmaster - I had them in separate pots but have planted them together in a large pot for now until they start taking propperly, then I will have them in separate pots again.

Waktoo- That makes alot of sense about the 5 in 1. The Hortico seems to be a really basic potting mix with good drainage.  Dynamic lifter is an organic fertiliser by Yates. I got this idea from someones mix they posted about, but I'm also aware that seedlings don't need much in the way of nutes. Before I transplanted to the current pot the soil was draining very fast as well as the soil around the plant drying out fast.

5. #5 waktoo, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    Here's the thing on the auto plant that you've got going.

It's done. Due to the short life span of auto's, you're not going to realize any kind of yield from it. Don't they harvest anywhere from 60-70 days? Your plant's almost a month old. Stressing them in any way, shape, or form slows down growth, thereby decreasing the amount of time that they might have to produce flowers if grown correctly from day one. And you put it into a pot with another seedling, planning to transplant it later? Auto's are best planted into the pot that they're going to finish in. This eliminates any lost flowering time due to possible transplant shock. Hang it up bro', that one's finished.

If I were you, I'd stick to light determinate seeds until you realize a better understanding of the myriad factors that gardening entails...

6. For being planted in plant food instead of soil and fed fertilizer, I figured they would be completly fried with no green on them. Seedlings need nothing, they bring their own snacks to the party. Too much repotting, way too much nutes and stress in general, she's done.

7. Yeah I didn't really understand how auto's worked when I chose it. I'm going to replace it with Kripple Roulette.