Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anyone starting a marijuana-based business?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by tstick, Dec 7, 2014.

1. I may be moving to Portland in the next year or so. I currently live in Seattle, so I'm no stranger to a marijuana-friendly community.

I would rather commit some of my remaining years of life to doing something other than working for someone else. It seems like there may be many opportunities to take advantage of the new booming marijuana business in some way. I've got a couple of rough ideas, but I wondered if anyone ever has thought about doing the same (general) type of thing. Maybe you could lend some insights. Where to start?

I'm not trying to make it rich. I'd rather just like to go to work….be my own boss and make a humble stipend!

Thanks

2. Your best bet to make it big is to promote your own skills. if you don't put yourself out there it's not going to happen.

3. Nice man. I'm moving to McKinnley ville ca. A lot to learn in Humboldt county on cannabis. ;)

4. Right on. Thanks for the encouragement!

I guess I was asking because I know there are obvious federal problems associated with MJ based businesses….Banking and taxes to name two.

Does anyone know if there are resources (online or otherwise) to find out some specific (like, 1. Do this…2. Do that…3. Expect this….etc.) types of things?

I don't need to enroll in any "cannabis colleges" or anything like that. I know quite a bit about most aspects of MJ….but how to turn that into a business…not so much.

:)

Thanks again

5. Trying to start my own shit up too her in p town

6. #6 Xane1213, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
    Just become a grower, supply to the dispensaries if you get enough grows timed right you can easily make 2k a month or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. #7 CanadianOrganic, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
    2k a month? That's only like a pound a month, isn't it? Not sure what dispensaries pay for flower

8. Yeah in Cali 1 pound can sell from 2-3k depending on quality it's not a lot to grow easily do able.

9. They have classes and licenses to get. Save a couple hundred bucks so you can take 'em.

Then, I'd recommend trying to get a job as a bud tender, so you can learn the ins and outs of the business without having to put up the initial costly investment.

Definitely start growing.

And be prepared for paperwork. A lot of paperwork. I'm currently writing a business prospectus for a recreational dispensary in new mexico (I've been working with some local politicians as an outside consultant while we're working on legalization procedures) and it seems they make it intentionally confusing and bureaucratic.

10. #10 kingkelly91, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
    Yeah I heard 2k is pretty easy to get at the despensary per lb. And I'm think I have almost three drying right now so I will post back here once I have completed my first despensary transaction

11. I know a kid who's going to college for business in Colorado solely because he wants to run his own marijuana company. Not just the dispensary, but making and distributing the products. He told his parents and they're fully supportive. Kid's probably gonna be a millionaire some day.

12. #12 snoopdog6502, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    Well no matter what you should be growing some herb, dont be buying that shit.

You can try doing what I do, I grow plenty of my own herb, hydro. I'm not a dealer but lets just say I have no trouble paying the power bill. :D

My last harvest..
    View attachment 1643987
    View attachment 1643988
    View attachment 1643989
    View attachment 1643990
    While Im sitting around watching the grass grow I started blowing glass. I have A torch,hoses regulators,oxygen bottles,propane bottles, an oxygen concentrator,ventilation,A digital programmable high fire kiln, and lots of glass. That cost me $2,000 to get started right! I still want a bigger torch and a few little things. (($2,000 more))

See my thread here, I started with nothing and now have a sweet set up.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/seasoned-tokers/1326119-any-you-blow-glass-amateur-professionally-looking-learn-trade.html/page-23#entry21301042

Now I'm not making money at glass blowing , much more the opposite but Im living good and having fun.

Dont work for someone else, if you are going to work for an asshole.. work for yourself. :D

13. I want to begin to do this business,any suggestion?
    Tim

14. Are you coming in as an investor? The company I am apart of specializes in foreign investments specifically funding from Asia.

15. #15 Sneaky Snake, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    I'd suggest staying in WA or moving to CO. Already enough people moving to PDX to start their dream weed business and it's not like there's not already people here doing it. Due to our impending law, actual weed will likely be free in about a year, it's the associated products and accoutrements that will be the business. Your average household will be allowed to grow more weed than they can use and giving away up to an ounce among adults is legal. If you don't grow yourself you'll likely have friends who give it away like zucchini. Selling products to help people grow easily and safely, and other products to help them process that weed into concentrates, edibles, etc. is where it's at.

16. I have the issue of not knowing where to start growing. 18/yo who just got his card I suppose will search for somewhere around here to rent and start indoors.

How did you get your place? I mean It must be hard to afford alone as an 18 year old who makes 10/hr

I

We own 2 houses, one is paid off and has been in the family for a long time the other has a couple more years to go..

It is a tall order at 18. In the summer 1985 I was 17, I grew 180 plants out in farm country and was sitting pretty for a while. It was popular with farm kids.
    That's how we funded cars,dirt bikes,guns, parties.
    So when you see a redneck cowboy kid you just never know if they have the big bales for a stash. Cowboys get high too.

Well you need a house, with a garage or basement. Cant live in town, get out of town. It may cost more in gas.

If you cant swing it alone get a partner, that has its ups and downs but realy is necessary to be a grower. Having to do all the work solo is a huge bitch if you have indoor.

just like anything else you make sacrifices and save for what you need. dont buy that bag of weed and buy a grow light,and on and on and on,,

If I had it to do over I would have started growing hydro a long time ago.

18. love my hydro setup can't go wrong with coco Finally got my shit going a bit. Got some in the despensaries and working on full melt bubble hash now.

19. #20 shaddytheman, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    I would open a recreation center/edible restaurant/chill-spot/lounge. I know friends who are proficient with cooking with cannabutter (seen it being made in person) so the idea of catering with cannabis-induced food would be such a joy! The lounge would include various videogame from handhelds to system, beds for the sleepy and drowsy type or spiritual meditation. It's just a dream out of my imagination, but I may be able to turn it into a reality.