Led lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GC Brae, Dec 7, 2014.

We still have much to learn about how plants actually utilize the light they receive. This leaves plenty of room for improvement. Thank goodness for the people who dedicate their life's work to studying plant physiology, and for the scientists and engineers who make what we do possible.

LED tech has come a long way. Even with the technology available now, there continue to be new developments with components that push the envelope of performance.

-PG

2. #42 GoldGrower, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2014
    It's a shame that solarspec reps can't be upfront and honest with their advertising. These backdoor snide advertising posts should be banned. This is the reason I would never buy one. If the product was any good it would speak for itself and wouldn't need these deceiving adverts. Seriously anyone thinking of buying an LED check out the MarsHydro range. Top quality at a low price and the company is straight up with its customers

3. There's a YT video from Greengenes707, or farmer greengenes, anyway he grew same plants under 2 or 3 different lights (very controlled environment), one being an Apache Tech LED. He sent buds of each in for lab testing. You can see the analysis there. Pssst LEDs won on potency

4. Why do you insist on speaking falsehoods. I honestly think you are a sales rep from Mars Hydro (LG). I am not a spokesman for AMARE and as far as I know all of us have purchased our lights. I scour the journals and have read hundreds of hours of them sifting through it all. If you are so distrustful why don't you contact the owner yourself and speak to him. I am sure he would be more than willing to share his vision. I did a journal because I wanted to share my results. I showed the ups and downs of my grows . Shared insights from my own experiences. I have never said anything negative about MARS. This thread was asking experienced LED light users.what lights they used. I  and others have shared there experiences on the light they are currently using or have used.

5. #45 Peflora, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
    The shame is you cannot admit to yourself that you barked up the wrong tree.

I've seen at least 3 really nice grows on GC using Amare panels. I, too, have several SS grow threads on GC. The proof is in the pictures.

I have been using various led light systems for 7 grows. All white for 5 grows.

The switch from 432w hot5 using a variety of nm aquarium bulbs to enhance peak nm ranges (but not replace white, specifically in the 460-580nm range) to a BML SPYDR 600 was straight forward as there was no control over the spectrums- all on.

The Amare presented a learning curve for me, in that I incorrectly used the color mixing choices, but my plants now 2-3 weeks from harvest look much better than their pics.

Without a macro-lens I am unable to capture the volume of trics. Also, the glands are bigger and thicker than under my BML SPYDR 600 LED  (~ 350w), or my hot5

Now wouldn't it be UNFAIR of me not to let the growing community know about them? The pics are always the deciding factor.

As was mentioned earlier, LEDs or any other light can not make up for a wide variety of potential grower mistakes

6. #46 PfefferGeist, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014

If this wasn't a desperate attempt by a desperate sales-rep to take a stab at his competition, I don't know what is.

A "sales rep" would go after every post that threatened their company's interests with a tone, much like yours, and frantically debunk information that may be deemed detrimental to the sales of said company.

If it were me, I would go on about their warranty for one. And not once have I uttered such a word on any of my posts.
    Have you been to their site?
    Do you even know what they are about?
    What about their technological features?
    What makes them better than what is already out there?
    AND how they are getting these PPFD figures?
    Have you seen their new light?
    They just launched their website and right after I got my shipment and they come out introducing the new BADASS COB! DAMN!
    Now I have to spend even more money! LOL

Up until now all I have talked about was the performance of the SolarSPEC LED panels that I bought and how they hold up to the HIDs that I am currently growing with. I happen to be happy with my purchase. Elated even. And when I am happy, I like to share. You should try it some time. It feels really good.

I do have to agree with you when you say, "If the product was any good it would speak for itself"

Well... not entirely, since LED panels do not make much sound and don't have a mouth or vocal cords. But, unless you are seeing something completely different from what everyone else is seeing... The evidence is quite compelling.

Please do not feel threatened by my large pictures. I know it can be hard to swallow. But the fact is, these are the pictures that come out when you put a PPFD meter under the HPS light and SolarSPEC LED panels and compare them.

And if you do actually work for a company on these forums, or anywhere for that matter, it may interest you to work on your sales pitch.

The real shame is the following statement:
    "Seriously anyone thinking of buying an LED check out the MarsHydro range. Top quality at a low price and the company is straight up with its customers"

And I want to apologise to MarsHydro and any of their affiliates if this post has, in any way, disrespected you and your company. This post is addressed to GoldGrower exclusively and entirely.

The only advice I have for you GoldGrower is to try to keep it more positive. And to smile often. Happy gold sparkles when it smiles.  :wave:

-PG

7. #47 bsless, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
    There will always be plenty of  theories and claims, but every application has it's own variance that will influence and determine the final results.  There's nothing absolute in nature, and for us to say we understand and know what plants need is just man's arrogance.  A lot of information put forth are general studies and not canna-specific, so we shouldn't assume that it automatically applies to our girls. The only way to find out is ( you guess it), to
    invest the time and resources to test these theories and claims; otherwise. a theory or logic is worthless until proven under a control testing environment.

Example: A common industry myth is the fact that green is useless or of little use to plants; therefore, is reflected by plants, hence the reason why plants are green in color. Another is yellow/orange is useless since it's mostly heat, along with 660nm is the most important and useful band for flowering.  How many times have you heard you have to have a lot of 660nm for successful flowering?  If all of this is true, then why is the most successful and benchmark of grow lights, the HPS is able to accomplish this with a lop-sided, inefficient spectrum that peaks in green and yellow, and contain very little 660nml.  So much for conventional logic.  Don't believe the hype, the world is round.

Plant spectrum requirement changes with intensity, as even the spectrum in the intra-canopy changes as the weaker long-band colors like reds are reflected or absorbed by the canopy; therefore, only shorter, more intensive color bands like blue and green penetrates deeper into the intra-canopy.  Due to this fact, plants adapt it's intra-canopy spectral requirement, accordingly.  I can get deeper into this, but that would be a free lunch for the people in the business.  Do some research and steer away from mainstream logic as sometimes you have to challenge the status quo to explore new options and solutions to progress.  To do the same thing and expecting different results is insanity.  Stoners are not insane, we're just lazy thinkers.  

I would advise you do your own research, invest the time and resources to test some of these theories and scientific claims,  because a lot of them might sound logical, but theories are worthless until proven.  I used to fall for a lot of these scientific myth and claims until I started to invest the time and resources to test some of them, unfortunately to find out that most either didn't apply, 
    or just outright hypothetical bs.

Another myth is the white spectrum is not as efficient as the red spectrum since it's spectrum peaks in the blue and green, which is not used as much as reds.  Right?  Wrong, then why do plants just seems to grow better and will always turn to the white spectrum if placed in between a white and red spectrum in preference? 

Plants are extremely resourceful and dedicate all of it's energy for reproduction,  so it will not absorb anything unless it needs it. Again, study and understand the McCree Curve, and forget the standard PAR graph the red spectrum promoters like to use to depict only the chlorophy a/b, and carotene absorption to sell their logic of targeting only PAR peaks for max efficiency, but unfortunately that's not the case.  Sunlight spectrum is nothing like those wonderful red spectrum with it's man dictated PAR peaks, and covers the complete PAR spectrum that plants have evolve on since the dawn of creation, so now man comes along, thinking  he's smarter than nature and can dictate what it needs.    Some even raise the ridiculous argument that sunlight is not an efficient spectrum for photosynthesis, because a lot of the bands in it's spectrum are not used; therefore, is not efficient as targeting only the par peaks,
    which is a retarded.  I'd like all those who claim the red is more efficient to test it side by side with a well-balanced white spectrum and
    see if this nonsense is true.  Yes, plants will adapt to spectrum shortages, among other things, but expecting them to reach their full genetic potential on a compromised spectrum does not make logical sense, nor is it the truth.   If anyone who has ever had the opportunity to grow with a well balanced white spectrum along a red spectrum will notice a strange phenomenon. The plants next to the white spectrum under the red side will more than likely turn it's leaves towards the white spectrum in preference.  You can either listen to so-called two-legged experts, and people who are trying to sell you something or you can observe the plants and provide what it prefers.  I tend to believe that plants will understand their needs better than we can.  My 1.5 cents.

8. I have to give you HUGE credit on that last sentence. Though I have experienced the opposite with "turning to the light"...they seem to turn to the more intense light source closest to them...so those on the very edge of the HID footprint, but right by the LED turn to the LED, and vice versa.

Which makes sense, too.

9. Well I did a side by side test of my red based LED next to my white based LED. It surprised me that the ladies under the red turned towards  the white light source even though they were directly under the red. Indie has a valid point about intensity. I will investigate this ...

10. #50 bsless, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014

You're correct to a certain point, they will turn to the higher intensity source if no white light is present, but if there's white light and the intensity is close, giving the advantage to the red spectrum as long as it's not dramatic difference, the plants will still turn in preference to the white spectrum.  What is certain is that is the intensity is equal, they will almost always turn to the white in my experience testing different white spectrum.  This is per my testing only, as there's many variance that can effect the final outcome.

11. #51 Peflora, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
    The problem lies in your question

NOT all leds are the same.

Not only in quality of diodes, heat sinks and drivers, but in spectrum ratios

MJ has much different spectrum needs than lettuce

As asked, did you mean a LED for veg, for flower, or a single led to do both?

Now consider when LEDs were first introduced, full spectrum white diodes did not exist, so they concocted a scenario where blue and red peaks are all you need: marketing pseudo- science, at least as it relates to fruiting/flowering plants. And many (including myself) bought into it.

While there are so-called scientific studies (funded by whom????) saying the green range (~460-580) were not utilized, others say this range IS essential. Not only does mj need it, it also acts as a catalyst for the red and blue interaction.

If you look at nature: plants are started in the Spring (predominantly cool white light) and harvested in the fall (predominantly warm red light) ,PLUS, warm & cool weather are catalysts

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,205);">We know that plants will adapt to their environment, but I am of the opinion (some science/biology/botany background), that their original genome/DNA MUTATES. What happens to those strains 3+ generations down the road? What happens to your eyes when staring into R/B after a few years? People are already experiencing eye sight issues</span>

A year and a half ago, I convinced BML Horticuture LEDs to let me choose the spectrums <span style="color:rgb(0,0,205);">on a SPYDR 600 to create a one-light for both, BUT, it arrived without separate o/o switches to control the 'blues' and 'reds'. This is fine if all you grow are Indicas, but sats stretch too much with all that red during veg</span>.

Also adding red after the flip is a trigger for mj to initiate flower

hth

12. you do soil or hydro??

I use soil, last crop i got my personal best of 2oz from one auto plant, but I did LST.

14. that's nice....I got 2 300 watt led lights from amazon....haven't used them yet but your results make me feel a lil more confident about their capabilities...I'm setting up for a DWC. Mine have 2 switches 1 for grow and 1 for bloom....does yours have that or is it just on or off?? BTW mine are some brand called global star

15. #55 GoldGrower, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
    Haha you think I'm a mars hydro rep? That's very convincing, I say you are a rep for the led you are advertising and you simply say "no I'm not, you are". Very grown up.

The reason I offer up a recommendation for mars hydro is because there is a rep on this forum that posts daily. Her name is SmokeSara and she is totally upfront about what she does on here. She gives discounts to our members and have provided a lot of led lights that I have seen used in many journals on here. I have bought 3 myself and her customer service is second to none. 

There is none of this comparing to HPS and pretending she's doing a review. The lights stand up for themselves. I recommend them as an alternative because I think advertising things backhandedly like this is deceiving

If anyone thinks I am a mars hydro rep please check out any of my 7800+ posts on this forum. I talk about all aspects of growing, lights, and especially LEDs are a very small part of my conversations . Not like these guys that come on here with posts on every recent light thread stating the same regurgitated nonsense that you read on almost every LED and CFL sellers websites 

16. #56 gingerb, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014

Your lights sounds slightly newer then my one, the grow and bloom switch will adjust the type of LED colour I expect.
    I just have on and off switch on my light.

What strain are you gonna be growing? how many plants?

I have one with veg and bloom switches. The idea being you use the veg while vegging and both while flowering, but I find having both on while vegging too allows the plants to grow faster. I'd use just the veg light if I was starting seedlings though, for the first week as the light on full power is a bit strong

18. I'll be growing out some seeds from jamaica and some other type called Kali something...not sure what exactly. I'll probably do 1 of each for now til i get my electrical situation under control in which case I'll do about 4 in total

19. I meant global star...ye I was wondering about it....but until I get my tent set up and get a kill-a-watt I'm just gonna run it in the veg spectrum....actually I'm thinking of doin the 12/1 routine as well

20. #60 Weed Dude, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Well GG here are some pics of my latest results... Using white light based LED ...  Why do you take offense because I chose to have a different opinion on what type of grow light  I use? I already went down the red /blue based LED lights road. As for Sara she is a very nice person but she doesn't grow as far as I know. She is a sales rep for LG (Mars Hydro) and a GC Sponsor I believe.. I don't bash them because I don't use them. I simply post my results. If it works it works and that goes for nutrients, soils, filters, tents and grow methods.

This is from one plant. As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words. Netted 327.1 grams (11.68 oz) of buds....

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG