Led lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GC Brae, Dec 7, 2014.

1. I'm looking to get a 63W LED light for my indoor grow, any one know where to get a good one?

I would go for a 300w version you pick them up on ebay pretty cheap, maybe even for the same price as a 63w LED ufo.
    I've been using a 300w 2nd hand LED i got via ebay and its really done me proud, just finishing off my 3rd and 4th grows.

3. how much do you usually yield??

4. On the last x2 different auto strains i got, 23g and 24g.
    On the photo period White widow I got 55g I think.

You should be able sooner or later get roughly an oz and half.
    But you will improve on each grow and depending on strain you grow.

5. #5 GoldGrower, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
    Check out TopLed, they are the best value. What size area do you have? An LED of that wattage wouldn't adequately illuminate an area of more than a square foot

6. GC Brae,

Just saw your thread and thought I would chime in.

I recently picked up some SolarSpec 150w LED panels from Amare Technologies and have been quite happy with them. I saw them first on Weed Dude's and DDP's grow journals here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1317804-white-light-led-revolution.html/page-11?hl=led+solarspec#entry20871985

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1341205-solar-spec-1040-white-led-vs-mars-ii-2100.html

Here is a link to a thread where Icemud explains how light works:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/lighting/489137-how-light-measured-lighting-spectrum-photosythesis.html/page-5

In the pic, you will notice that the 150w LEDs put out the same intensity of light I get from my 600w HPS. Based on the measurements taken from an Apogee Quantum PPFD meter (Light meter). Look at the display figures. 

View attachment 149272
    View attachment 149261

-PG

7. isn't topLED now called Marshydro? I May be wrong

8. LUX is a measurement of light intensity, not overall light output. I can make my LUX meter show the same reading from a 20w CFL to my 600w HPS if I had the distance right. But the 600w covers a way bigger area. Saying a 150w LED puts out the same intensity of light as a 600w HPS is not only laughable but a dam right lie.

If you want to measure what they are putting out test it at the surface of the bulb, not from unequal distances

9. Yup

Chef.

10. Thanks for all the info guys

11. #13 PfefferGeist, Dec 11, 2014

Hello Gold Grower,

Sorry if the post is misleading. I am glad you brought it up. There happen to be three SolarSPEC 150w LED panels in that space. And for the given space, I get more light intensity in the corners than I do with two 600w MH/HPS. If you need me to make you a video illustrating the effects of the inverse square law and the PPFD in the corners of my 5x5 tents, I will be glad to.

In my earlier post, I made no claims as to the area that one 150w panel would cover the same area as effectively as a 600w HID. The 150w SolarSPEC LED panel did, however, outperform the 600w HPS at an equal distance directly below the light source @ 24" (as far as PPFD is concerned). In the pic of the HPS, it is off center because there are two 600w bulbs side by side. 

So, if I were to place 6x 150e SolarSPEC LED panels (thats 900w) in a 5x5 area and put them against the 2x600w MH/HPS that I am currently using, The LEDs would have ample coverage with a more even light distribution pattern (especially in the corners) with SIX peak PPFD sites, more PPFD per square foot=more light intensity, and at a 300w advantage.  Even with a 1000w (which I will be testing as soon as I have plants ready to flower) the LEDs are at a 100w advantage. I have no PPFD data on a 1000w hood as of yet.

The measurements are taken with a PPFD meter that measures the photons within the PAR range. This is a more accurate way of assessing the intensity of light that is in the effective wave-lengths that grow our plants. 

If you read through my post carefully, I am not making any outrageous claims. I am merely sharing the data that I collected during my grow room streamlining process. I need to be able to justify the changes and the expenses incurred while doing so.

The meter was placed under each light source and a photograph was taken. I take being called a liar to heart because I feel that there is absolutely no need for me to have to do so in this forum. All I am doing is sharing my findings with fellow members so that they may make their own minds up when it comes time to change their set-ups.

Icemud has a great thread explaining how light works. The moderators in this forum felt that it was good enough to "sticky" here:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/lighting/489137-how-light-measured-lighting-spectrum-photosythesis.html

​I recognize my mistake in the earlier post and I hope to have rectified it here. If more clarification is needed, just ask.

-PG

It doesn't matter what your PAR meter says. If one light causes better growth then that is the better light. There is no way 3x 150w LEDs could compete with a 2x 600w HPS lights unless you totally cocked up the grow.

What yields are you getting from your two 600w lights? 

Gold Grower,

Because it is more important for me to know how much of the light is making it to the canopy than it is to know how much light is at the surface of the bulb. I do not believe that the scientists researching the efficiency of sunlight and growing plants concern themselves with the intensity at the surface of the sun.

The inverse square law clearly demonstrates the effects that distance has on light energy and photon dissipation. Ever hear of people complaining about getting smaller nugs toward the edge of their canopy?

I hope this answers your question,
    -PG

14. We will see, I just put them in. I am thoroughly impressed at how well they grew in veg. 

I bought these lights after I saw the threads that DDP and Weed Dude posted documenting their experiences with them.

If you read through the post, there is a photo where the plants are growing toward these lights vs the red/ pink LEDs. They clearly prefer the light coming from the SolarSPEC panels over the others.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1317804-white-light-led-revolution.html/page-11?hl=led+solarspec#entry20871985

-PG

15. #17 GoldGrower, Dec 11, 2014
    I'm well aware of the inverse square law. are you aware that if you put the HPS light closer the light will be more intense? You are doing a completely irrelevant comparison. Each light has its own foot print and intensity at a given distance. This does not apply to the sun. You have no idea what you are talking about

I hope that answers your question ? ? 
    There was no question in what you quoted of mine. What I did ask earlier was what yields are you getting when using your 2x 600w HPS lights? 

You are obviously just trying to advertise your product. I'm not saying solarspec lights don't work, but just be a little more honest when you advertise them. Every post of yours is banging on about solarspec, impartial growers don't do that. They talk about growing. All you talk about is solarspec

16. #18 bsless, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014

What size is your footprint and what are you growing, because if it's meds, 63w will not cover much according to the standard rule of thumb of 40w+/sqft., with some of these newer HI-LEDS, a little less.  

17. It's a larger Rubbermaid tote the 30 or 32 gal one

18. #20 bsless, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014