Help me mix my soil part 2 lol

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Grade A, Dec 6, 2014.

1. So I made a post before but lost it :/ I've acquired kelp meal, crab meal, dolomite lime, bone meal, EPsoma tomato tone per lite and sphagnum peat moss. I would like to mix my soil tonight then add glacial rock dust Monday when I get it. I was going to put equal parts of all amendments except kelp meal I was going to follow the post stickied above but was wondering if there was anyone kind enough to share something possibly "better" if not I'll use the stickied post as I'm sure it's good info if it's stickied lol

2. I don't see the MOST important items - compost &/or vermicompost. Perhaps you simply didn't list them?

Your amendments that you did list are second to your compost/vermicompost. Those are so very important, important to the point where your amendments will work just fine, but ONLY if you use quality compost as an integral part of your mix. By quality, I mean viable - alive, and not some crap that's bern sitting in a plastic bag in a hydro store parking lot for the last year and a half.

You can do just fine with the items you listed, providing you concentrate on using high quality compost in your mix. Take the time, look hard and come up with the very best available. You can fine tune your amendment list later but, and I can't stress this enough - don't settle on inferior compost/vermicompost.

Good luck with your garden.

J

3. #3 Grade A, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
    Ahh I have earth worm castings as well. Forgot to list that shit was expensive to lol

4. I like using a mix of both vermicompost *and* thermal compost in indoor potting mixes. It'll also save you some $$$ - using straight castings as (somewhere around) a third of your soil mix - depending on how much soil you're mixing has the potential to get pretty expensive. IMO it also adds some good diversity to your humus.

J

5. Hey Jerry,

What are some good kinds of places to find quality EWC?  I haven't gotten to the point of making my own worm beds yet, but I probably will this year.  But very few places I've checked even have bagged EWC, let alone fresh.  I've checked Farmer's CO-Op's, Tractor Supply, Landscaping companies (these have it but in monstrous amounts only), etc.

I do have my thermal compost though.  So there's some EWC in there, just not concentrated quantities of it.

6. It totally depends on what part of the country you're from. If you could give us a vague idea then I'm sure folks will jump in and help with sources for anything you need.

I put this thread together some time ago - it may or may not help but might be worth taking a look -

Sourcing Organic Soil Mix Components - http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1277064-sourcing-organic-soil-mix-components.html

When you do get some good vermicompost keep some aside. Use it as a nice top dressing or slurry, maybe mixing in a little kelp, comfrey or neem cake.

J

7. Middle Tennessee.

8. I'm not from your neighborhood but give it a few and see if anyone roughly local to you comments...

Have you tried Craigslist?

J

9. I have. No luck.

10. How close are these? I wish they were near me I'll tell us...

http://www.southernnurseries.com/compost

NASHVILLE: 3738 Dickerson Pike, Nashville TN, 37207
    HENDERSONVILLE: 136 South Center Point, Hendersonville TN, 37075

Leaf compost at $30 per cubic yard?

Worm castings at $65 per cubic yard?

J