Bukowski fans?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by NealCaffrey, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Blades,

Anybody else in here who loves Bukowskis masterpieces? 

His 1978 novel Women is one of my favorites from him. For those who don't know Bukowski, most of his works are basically semi-autobiographical books about his alter ego the writer Henry Chinaski. His stories revolve greatly about women, his fascination for them and his dissatisfactions. He writes funny and well, but manages to put a lot of meaning between the lines in my opinions. I have read Factotum, Women, Notes of a dirty old man, post office.  
    \nThe year he died, 1994, he published his final book; pulp. Anyone read this?
    \n\n

• Informative Informative x 1
    I don't mean to intrude on the thread; I've only read a few Bukowski qoutes here and there and seen an interview with him

Gonna get around to reading Women, because I'm totally obsessed about them too

Is it his best book?

3. Bukowski is a genius. Women was the first book I read by him, and I consider it the best yes. It is hard to explain the plot, it is so simple but still so genius. If we live close by you could borrow my copy, din jævla viking :) 

Fett, nÃ¥ er vi fire nordmenn pÃ¥ GC  :smoke:

5. Only thing i've heard/ read from him, and i agree immensely. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHq_UtZ90jk

I know it's a skate video, but bukowski is the soundtrack. 

6. Someone told me I might enjoy him or Chuck Pahalnalsa-, whatever his last name is. I dunno though, I ain't much for wordsworths, and all that shit, yahmean? 

7. Bukowski grew up in an abusive household and drank heavily his whole life, but was a very gifted writer.    I've read quite a bit of his work over the past 40 years or so.  

There are also several films based on Bukowski's writings.  

8. Hey man,

Bukowski is one of my favorite writers as well..
    Have you read Ham on Rye?? I think this is his best work!!

Sent from Zion
    Yep:
    1. Barfly
    2. Factotum

I enjoyed both movies :)

Sent from Zion

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm aware of Ham on Rye, but I don't remember if I read it.   

I haven't yet seen Factotum (the film) yet. But I've seen Barfly and Tales of Ordinary Madness, with Ben Gazzara. 

10. Hank was one ugly motherfucker.

11. [​IMG]
    \t“Censorship is the tool of those who have the need to hide actualities from themselves and from others. Their fear is only their inability to face what is real, and I can't vent any anger against them. I only feel this appalling sadness. Somewhere, in their upbringing, they were shielded against the total facts of our existence. They were only taught to look one way when many ways exist.”
    ― Charles Bukowski

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm in the middle of Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness and I just loved it from the first page, I'm hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. I haven't read all of his books, but that's the best one I've found so far. 

14. I enjoy the song by modest mouse called Bukowski. The lyrics made me look up some of his work, read a few poem - I enjoyed them! Easily relateable to my life <3

17. Charles Bukowski and Jerzy Kosinsky...two of my favorite writers. In fact, I learned to write short stories by following their short story structure. You can read some of my short stories at dan-tracy.blogspot.com

18. Factotum is crazy. I really enjoy his poetry!

19. To some, and hopefully to a lot, he's the new revelation..

20. ...As of 1996, there was a planned film adaptation of Women that apparently never materialized. The writer, producer, and production designer Polly Platt adapted the screenplay. Another attempt to turn Bukowski's novel into a film emerged in the 2010s; James Franco, Don Jon, and Voltage Pictures have been working with a new version scripted by Ethan Furman[3]. It is not clear (as of May 2019) whether this project is creatively connected to the '90s version, and whether the film will be completed and distributed.

Women (Bukowski novel) - Wikipedia

subbed