Washington DC bans pre employment drug testing

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Old School Smoker, Dec 5, 2014.

1. i completely agree with you. but where does one draw the line?
    if a family owns a business and does not wish to have any fat people there... why can't they as an employer decide that? why not based on religion... you don't think there are some employers that would not want a certain type of religion or race to not be present in their family or small/private business?

look for employment elsewhere right?

in reality it will have little to no effect on anyone so i think my argument weed for tonight is wearing off :)

cheers

2. wait .. so it's a test for a an offer that nobody gets? like that doesn't really exist?
    very confused.
    anyways.. the rest of the article sounds like they are talking about your standard drug test

3. This is great news... Need something like this in CO! Random drug testing isn't as common as people think. It costs someone a lot of money each time a random drug test is administered

How on earth can it be discrimination when you chose to imbibe the substance of your own free will?

I suppose you could always say that imbibing cannabis is part of your religion, but that has never really held any weight in court.

And in the cases where a potential employee tests positive for opiates or other substances, they simply furnish evidence of their prescription, and they are good to go. No problem there.

You keep saying there is a difference, but under the law, there is no such difference. I'm speaking in regards to the ability of an employer to test for such substances, obviously.

That's what you believe. I'm curious, are you a lawyer? Because as I see it, there is absolutely no law stating that employers must ignore the results given from a legal drug test in regards to legal substances.

5. #25 KushyKonundrum, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014

A lot of those characteristics fall under already imposed discrimination laws. And on top of that, things such as religion or sexuality cannot be ascertained before hand, as it is illegal for an employer to ask questions pertaining to such.

But in regards to weight, they most certainly can discriminate. If your weight directly prevents you from being able to meet the basic work requirements, an employer can deny your request for employment.

6. #26 llllllllll, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
    Think about it like this.

You go in for a job interview (ill set a scene for you)

- go to interview, you do great 
    -you get offered job, UNDER THE CONDITION THAT YOU PASS AN IMMEDIATE DRUG TEST.

now read this quote from the article

"Council unanimously passed legislation to bar employers from drug testing potential workers for marijuana prior to<em> making a conditional job offer.</em>

Literally the simplest I can make this is this, you cannot be drug tested until you are conditionally offered the job.  Now think, how many jobs have you interviewed for that have drug tested you before they say "we'd like to offer you this position". I've never been asked to take a drug test for a job before being offered a job. 

read the article again, this means nothing man.

shit man, noone on GC reads anything lmao. Flashy titles and they go immediately to the response box.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shit. Haha I wish my boss wouldn't drug test me. But sadly he's planning on it =\\

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. This law needs to be passed by every city. Sick and tired of the discrimination and the jobs that openly get away with it. This is a rights issue. Employers do not have the right to search you or your possessions and that includes what's in your pee or blood or hair or mouth. 

9. #29 KushyKonundrum, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014

You give them that right once you sign the documents giving them that right.

10. Ok I did. And they don't hire MMJ smokers either. I did not like that so I applied somewhere else and that company did not hire MMJ patients either. So i went somewhere else and it was the same thing. Now i am at the unemployment office.

11. #31 Cannabis Seeds USA, Dec 30, 2014

I'm saying its not legal for them to do it at all. And I don't think signing away those rights is legal especially since they are forcing you to sign it under threat of punishment. Rights are inalienable, you can't just give them away and they can't be taken. Corporations are not above government. They just want you to think they are. The government just lets corporations get away with violating rights because they are in bed with them.

12. Employers should judge their workers on job performance; not on whether they smoked a joint two or three weeks before a drug test. It would make equally little sense to not hire people who smoke cigarettes, or drink alcohol, or even people who enjoy playing world of warcraft...

• Like Like x 1
  13. #33 KushyKonundrum, Dec 30, 2014

Then stop smoking. Seems like an awfully simple concept to me.

Just because you say it's not legal doesn't make it so. As far as I know, there is no law preventing companies from drug testing applicants who sign an agreement allowing themselves to be drug tested.

14. Awfully simple! Awfully simple! *runs around in circles throwing hand up in the air* Awfully simple!

• Like Like x 1
    Your kung-fu is not strong.

16. Well I can tell ya this much,...if you lived in the southeastern united states, you wouldn`t be making that remark.  It`s already to the point of near slave labor down here.  Employers can fire you for any reason at all at any time.  We have what is called the "right to work" law.  yet states like Mississippi do not even have a Labor board.  MS has a Dept of Labor where only the most heinous violations of employees are ever even recognized.  If I smoke pot and do my job as well as any of the others then how is firing me for it logical in any way.  If I apply for a job that I am qualified to the max for, with tons of experience, and turned down because of a drug test, how is that logical.  Its just a touchy subject for those of us who reside in states that remain in the stone ages.  So is it a violation of our human rights and an invasion of our privacy, there is absolutely zero doubt.  But this is actually only minor in comparison to those type violations committed against red blooded Americans each and every single day. 

• Like Like x 2
    I agree with you completely. It sucks. But realize that the morons who can't handle their drugs are the ones ruining it for everyone else. Most of these companies don't do it because they have some moral dilemma with cannabis, they do it because if they didn't they could be liable for any injuries incurred by their employees in the event of an accident. Drug testing helps prevent that.

So, either look for a job that doesn't test or stop smoking. Like I said earlier, employment is an agreement between two entities. Once you sign their little contract, you are subject to whatever terms are within that contract.

And it's not a violation of human rights to be drug tested, cmon. Chill with the hyperbole. They are making you piss in a cup, big freakin deal. It's not like they are strapping you down and sticking a needle inside your bladder to get your urine against your will. Remember, you agree to piss in a cup when you sign their release form.

And fyi, I lived in North Carolina for a long time. So I know exactly how it is to work in a 'right to work' state.

18. Don't worry. They are going to start drug testing before you get you checks.

19. #39 CanadianOrganic, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
    Seriously? They drug test unemployment recipients?

Thank god I live in the land of maple syrup

20. They are trying.
    If you want to receive state aid I have no issues with you needing to puss in a cup to get your check