LED Grow Closet Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by FRANMACHINE, Dec 5, 2014.

1. #1 FRANMACHINE, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
    Hey Grasscity! 

I am a newbie grower and after days of research, I've decided to use LEDs for my first time! 

I've purchased:
    2x 100-watt blackstar LEDS
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051HOCJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    (Best for your buck according to many reviews? Looks good so I purchased it anyways.)

Mylar film
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00725XBGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4-inch inline fan (exhaust)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069GE9N8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Carbon filter will be homemade.

1x 12v PC Fan for the intake

I've constructed a 2L x 1.5W x 4H grow closet with plyboard that will house 2 cannabis plants. However, I am still unsure if the light is sufficient for my setup and if it is more efficient to grow 1, 2 or 3 plants in this medium. Still deciding how many Gallons per smartpot for efficient grow in this setup. 

Any opinions, comments or suggestions? Help would be greatly appreciated for the inexperienced like me! Thanks! :)

(Will be posting pictures when equipment has arrived and been assembled!)

2. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to the light chapter in my book (only a few more chapters!!!) so I can't really give you advice on your light and the amount of coverage you will have :confused_2:  :confused_2: 

However, I do want to wish you well on your endeavors. I can't wait to see the pictures of your set-up. :hello: :hello: :hello:

Just remember the more you know.....the more you'll grow:)

Cheers!

3. if you check my thread, im using a 50w led that illuminates the entire room brightly. Ive got my grow box insulated and when I put the light in it, it blinds you! I don't know how well it works with plants, but its basicly one of those 3 or 5 watt leds on a bigger scale. It only cost me 15 + 3 for a heatsink.

Hopefullly my led works with a plant grow, because if it does ,then everyone should get one! its so bright. I'll let you know if my plants get bigger under it once I get my seeds

4. What book is this? Will keep you posted! :) 

You use a heat sink for your LEDs? LED's barely produce heat right? :) 

5. Your intensity will be more than enough, if you keep the fixtures close enough to the base of the plant (don't let the plant get too tall). SCROG or LST to keep them under 24 inches, keep the lights less than 2 feet from them, if at all possible.

If it's "sufficient"...depends. How many "channels"? What proportions? PAR rating? Model use focusing lenses, or not?

As for "the chapter in the book"...I went through that particular physics class ages back...need the maths or explanations, more than able to hand them to you.

Regardless of number of channels and lenses and all, throw a couple 23/100 CFLs in to supplement the "gap bands" that LED systems don't cover. Increases the effect of the LEDs.. They don't have to be close to the plants or anything, just enough to get light TO the plants.

6. The book is called ....Marijuana Horticulture -The Indoor and Outdoor Medical Growers Bible. I wouldn't say its a bible lol but it helping me with  understanding the basics.Check out the free ones on the net. There a lot of downloadable books on there.

SN:Indie-Kah you rock!!

7. Myth.

8. #8 meatyleafeater, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
    Bright doesn't matter much in the long run. It's all about wave length... I run led exclusive with great results.. And very very minimal heat is created by them.

I am so open minded you should only think like me..

9. Depends how big your led is.

10. No it's wavelength.. PAR .. If bright was the key factor, flash lights would work

11. I'm talking about heat given off by the lamp.

12. Mine is 440w and raises my 2x4 tent about 2 degrees .. Heat is way minimal.. I do have another brand on the way and around 900w .. I'll keep you posted on the outcome..

13. 440 actual? My 555 actual (Mars 1200) raised mine 9. Thing puts off heat. Yeah, I bought into the whole low temp thing. That's why I ended up with a 4" fan to start. Had to buy a 6" to keep it 70. That's why I have two fans.

14. No the actual is around 350-75 in bloom or flower mode.. Might be a touch more with UVB on.
    You like the Mars brand? The reviews were so mixed (not exactly a surprise right..) that I went with the CLW.. The reviews were slim but all solid when I was in the market so I jumped and am still very happy... If I could change any thing it would be the foot print.. Just a little wider would be perfect but... I havea hydrogrow sol series 9 and two 6 series on the way I found for dirt cheap so either way my foot print is getting larger:)

15. I kinda bought it because I got it on a eBay auction that had listing issues. It was in the wrong category and I was the only bidder. It was 100$ cheaper. The second one I got there too for ten bucks less on an auction. They auction them sometimes I have found. It's a good light. So far. I did just add tubes. I work with LED video walls. They're all from the same road of warehouses in China. Some just have better heat sinks. I own two and want a 1600 now.

16. Damn, other people shop off category's too..🙇
    LED might be addictive. I don't get SUPER GROW!! Plants but they are always growing and so bushy and thick! Hey, (I guess thick chicks do rock💗)
    I have clones ready and am waiting on my second LED to arrive, hydrogrow sol 9.. Found it in an off category for dirt cheap.. Unopened! We will see...