Pot size for SOG

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by kwsg, Dec 5, 2014.

1. What is the smallest size pot most people grow in for SOG with good results.

Is it possible to flower in a 2 or 3 gallon pot, as long as you have a short veg cycle I would imagine?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. 3 gallon pots will work.

3. Will anything smaller work? And roots slow down on growth greatly after the first two weeks of flower?

4. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 3 gallon, but that depends on how big you plan on growing them.  If the pot is too small, the roots will bind and she wont do shit for you.

During the first 2-3 weeks of flower is when the plants do their stretch.  

5. Right but as far as root growth, as long as the roots have plenty of room to grow for the first 2 weeks of flower after there growth rate drops significantly am I correct

6. People do SOG in 20 oz bottles, I'm sure you can use small pots

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Personally I'm going to do my mini-sog in 1 gallon pots. So yeah, it'll work. 

8. Just keep this in mind..... 'roots = fruits' 

w00

9. Got ya, I think I'm gonna go with 5 gallon, I used 7 gal last time, but with the 5 I can twice asany probably or close to it

i grow 4-5 foot plants in a 3 gallon pot without issue, but that organic soil. i'm going to use 2 liter pots for my SOG, but then again it's for breeding and not bud production.

also from what i read 1 plant per sqft is a good rule of thumb for SOG's to flower at, dunno if that's true or not as i have never done one before.

11. I plant per square seems about right, in my 4x2 cabinet in not sure I could fit 8 plants in 5 gal. containers, I know I could in 3 gal for sure.

Last grow I had 3 plants in 7 gal. Containers and there was a lot
    Of space around all 3, I use the fabric pots and I was told you have to be careful with them that the roots will literally grow thru fabric if two pots are touching each other, so getting rid of males might be tricky if one was to use fabric pots and they were touching on all sides

12. 2 liters, Hempy style, lookup DocBud SOG. You can fit 4 per sq foot, you want a strain that's going to grow one main cola, you can lollipop though as well. Get 7-14grams per. As soon as you get roots, into the 2 liter and into flower they go. Obviously it doesn't yield quite as much, but the turnover time is 1.5 times greater, if not more. 1-3 gallon SOG isn't a SOG anymore because you will need to veg at least 1 week to properly fill those containers

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ok good to know, I'd love to try that, even at a 1/4 per plant that's an oz per square. 12 square feet I have so if be very happy with that especially in the quick turnover time unfortunately I only have 8 prospects at the moment, but next time I'll keep it in mind

14. I've been growing a perpetual harvest set-up for about 14 years and I've always used 1 gallon pots. From cloner to large solos to 1 Gallons, 2 weeks later into flower, 8 weeks to finish. Plants are never rootbound. They are only alive for 12 - 14 weeks. I take 3 plants out each week and put 3 new ones in. Plants go in flower at about 15" and finish at about 28" - 32". Never had any problems with my system.

KEEP ON GROWING   _  Phezisica

15. Do u top or train at all? Or just one single cola

16. Whatever suits my mood. I've been super-cropping lately, starting very early (@ 6'') and I'm liking the results so far. But I have many different things going on at the same time. If the plants are shorter, I will block them up to keep the canopy somewhat even. The taller plants go along the back wall. My flower area is 40" x 130" with 3 - 600W HPS and a bank of 16 - 100W CFLs on the open side for supplemental light as there is no reflection on this side (I raise and lower this manually when I work on the grow). I get very good, consistent results with this set-up. I only recently bought the 3 - 600s (Dec 15). Previously I ran 3 - 400W HPS and had very good luck. Can't wait to see what the new lights can do. I am very seriously gearing up for a switch to aeroponics. Have everything together, now all I need is some ambition. Maybe a another joint will help...
                                                                                                                                                          Phezisica in Minnesota

17. Forgot to mention. I have 24 plants in flower at all times. Each plant has1.2 Sq. feet (13" x 13"). It seems to be plenty. On the plants I super-crop, I give them 2 extra weeks in Veg. to recover, so I use 1.75 Gal. pots on these. They get a little more room. I move the single cola and smaller plants closer together. I feed a hydroponic nutrient mix at every watering. Never have root-bound problems. I consider the soil little more than a plant holder, LOL! Even my super-cropped plants don't see 16 weeks. Handling the soil is the most hated part of the whole thing for me. That's why I'm going aeroponic.
                                                                                                                                  Phezisica

18. I love how you actually list your age and info, makes me feel like I am actually talking to someone with some experience under there belt, thank you very much for the info on your setup, I currently only have one 400 watt for my 4x3x7 wood cabinet, along with a ton of CFLs for supplemental lighting,

19. I only have 8 plants going at the moment, about a month old from seed, my plan is that hopefully at least 4 are female and then I will have 4 plants in 7gal. containers in my 4x3x7. I'm hoping the 400 watt with a bunch of CFLs will be enough lighting for 4 plants, last grow I had 3 plants in a 4x2x6 and used CFL only from veg to flower and had amazing results, 2 of the 3 plants were top shelf stuff or very close to it. I'm hoping this round I will yield a little more per plant. Only got about 1.5 to 2 ozs. off of each plant last time.

My goal is 3 to 4 ozs per plant this time. But anything is better then nothing

20. It takes a lot of guts to list your age at 56, LOL! I only grow for personal use and some friends, so I don't get real serious. That said, I like doing things right and because of this my set-up is pretty good. I move everything through quickly and my plants only yield about 1.5 - 1.75 o/ plant. All prime bud. x 3! I lollipop heavily and try for great buds rather than many buds. With the new 600Ws, I'm hoping to deepen my "sweet spot" a little. When I talk of super-cropping, I really only use SC techniques to get more good bud sites and control height. I also FIM sometimes and top, it often depends on the strain/pheno's particular growth pattern. I recently started using CFLs in my cloning and am very impressed with them. I now grow most of my solos under CFLs and it seems the branch structure and overall growth is better. Keeping an eye on that. This is all really just a great hobby for me and I will NEVER know enough about it, that's what keep's it interesting. That and waiting for the "knock on the door" (until LEGALIZATION)! Now I've stressed myself out and I have to go roll one! Keep on growing!

Phezisica