Im NEW NEW and my weed is in need of assistance

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Snowman0HK, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Weed is legal in my state, so recently i decided to try my hand at growing. I wen't to a site recommended to my by a friend and bought some seeds. I germed them in water and planted in a cup with Foxfarm organic soil, they popped up pretty quick, one a couple days after the other, and they've been growing good. I went to home Depot and built a space Bucket to grow them in for awhile because its cheap and easy enough to build and provides a nice enclosed growing environment for the plants. But the other day I woke up and they were really yellow around the edges of the plant. I think it's light burn but i'm only using 4 13w CFL bulbs to light, and I have 2 80mm CPU fans going pretty hard and they move a lot of air. it stays nice and warm in there but the hottest it's ever gotten is 81 degrees. The CFL's are very bright but i didn't think brightness alone could burn the plants. Am I wrong? Are my plants gonna die? Can anyone help? 

There is my space bucket on the left, the plants on the right, and i guess I should mention that the plants are not very close to the lights, they are a good 8-10 inches away. 

Attached Files:

2. A lot of people complain about your soil burning seedling from being too hot.  It looks like you have the same issue.  They should be ok, just don't over water them.

3. ok, i got scared and turned off 2 of my CFL's, is that necessary? I thought the more light the better, but i certainly dont want to roast them any more than I already have. with the 2 lights off the temp is holding at about 72F

4. They are just babies and don't need a lot of light.  They would like it warmer than that.  Shoot for around 80 or just under.

5. #5 Snowman0HK, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
    ok, for sure, but my lights are my main heat source, so should i turn them all on? or leave 2 off. with all 4 on temp sits at about 77-80

6. Get the temp up with the lights.  

7. I think it might be nute burn. Not sure. I think it makes the most sense. I'm using Foxfarm Ocean Forest Smart Naturals Potting soil. 

it has like... ground up crabs and stuff in it, maybe it's fert content is just too high...

8. Can't a lack of nitrogen brought about by compacted soil cause the symptoms you're referring to?  If you're using straight fox farm bag soil it might not have enough pumice/rice hulls/perlite to allow it to grow deep enough to absorb the nitrogen in the soil.

But, as Mad Professor said the soils like FF tend to be heavy on the nutes for sprouts.

9. #10 Snowman0HK, Dec 5, 2014
    do you think it will kill them? should i transplant? or flush? or just keep on with my setup?
    ?

10. Settle down bro and just let them grow.

11. Ok, yeah totally i was doing that. Then they started to like die. Im drinking beer and playing titanfall right now so im settled for sure. But I was just wondering from anyone who has more experience than me, should i flush the soil? Or should I transplant to clean dirt?
    reddit people said I should i was just looking for a second opinion. 

12. #13 CANandProud420, Dec 5, 2014
    Mad_Prophessor is right just let em grow once they get a bit bigger your soil wont burn them, i found soil at independent grocers no nutes in it great for seedling look for some. Lots of ppl use your soil so I dont think your seedling will die from that. 

My opinion  would be get min 23w cfls theyre really cheap more the better.

13. ok thanks, so no flushing? alright ill let em' ride. I just don't want them to die, they were expensive seeds. 

14. yeah if it gets way worst id do something are they still adding growth everyday? i really cant tell you for sure what to do  but i know transplanting so young is no good and ive never had to flush young sprouts because of my soil

15. Yeah, they are putting out new growth that looks nice and healthy, also that was a typo about my lights they are 23w and i have 4 of them. 

I know it is tough to be patient, but you have to.  Nothing happens fast with ganja from growing to solving problems that arise with it.  Everything is gradual and slow.  Be prepared that sometimes it is like watching a car accident in slow motion.

17. Jesus what are you kids doing thats making my soil seem so bad? its like the 20th post today ive seen of nute burn from people using FF. 

I've never had that issue. ever. 

i'm starting to think its not the FF, but these n00by growers.

18. #19 Joghorn, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    a car accident in slow motion is still more entertaing then watching my girls. lol

but i still spend hours a day watching them! lol

19. LOL.  You need to be 2% smarter than the tool you are attempting to implement in order to be successful at implementation.  The seedlings just don't like it (from what I have read).  I can't emphasize enough how simple it is to make some good dirt .  Pro mix, EWC, Lobster compost, blood meal.  Done.  Turn, bake, and wait.  They will need food in flower, but they wont get pissed off at you for the dirt.  ;)