Hour 48 of Fasting

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by ReturnFire333, Dec 1, 2014.

Lolwut? Starvation is loosely defined as a deficiency in caloric intake.

Yes, it would take weeks for a well fed adult to die of starvation. But that doesn't mean it only begins after ketosis. In fact, ketosis is defined as one of multiple starvation responses.

And I'll say again, I really would not advise forcing ketosis.

2. #22 ReturnFire333, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015

noun
    noun: starvation; plural noun: starvations
    1. \t\t\t<div>\t<div>suffering or death caused by hunger.
      \t 
      \t 
      \tYour body does not suffer or die before it enters ketosis and burns body fat for fuel. That's why ketosis is there. So don't give advice when you don't know shit :)
      \t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t

3. #23 KushyKonundrum, Feb 8, 2015

I'm really not interested in arguing with you about a definition. Especially considering you believe there to be an actual benefit to forced, prolonged ketosis.

Ah hell, might as well...ala wiki:

I bolded the important part to make it easier for you.

Yes, fasting will lead to starvation, but not before starvation. You made no point. Good job.

So I guess ketosis isn't really a starvation response. Must just be a 'fasting response'. News to me!

6. #26 ReturnFire333, Feb 8, 2015

Well technically, when you don't eat you are "starving" yourself of food, but your body is not actually starving to death by definiton until it starts to break down muscles and tissue for energy, since fat is designed to be able to be broken down for energy.

Ketosis is the result of zero caloric intake, from my research is goes like this-

Well fed--> fasting (no food)--> ketosis--> starvation. 

When you don't eat you go into ketosis to break fat into energy, then if you don't eat AFTER ketosis exausts your fat reserves, then you will begin to starve to death by definition. Hopefully that makes sense.

Benefits of entering ketosis are rapid fat loss with minimal negative effects, and a reconnection with "true hunger."

Sorry for being snippy with you lol, having an aggravating night and probably projected that on my posts.

Honestly, that's all I really meant. But then you responded as if I were a buffoon, so I thought I would show you that starvation is really very loosely defined.

Realize that this is a debate that has been hashed out time and time again. But the fact of the matter is that there really is no documented, long term study on the effects of forcing long term ketosis. Fasting is a different story. But fasting is restricted to 24 hours, at the max.

But also realize that this is not an ideal state, and it usually requires high levels of cortisol. While ketosis may be a last ditch effort to preserve your bodies lean mass to the very end, gluconeogenesis is constant throughout the entire process.

It's fine. Don't worry about it :).

8. your body will enter ketosis if you remove carbs from your diet.
    that's what atkins and similar low-carb diets are based on.

you will not go hungry (or starve) if you eat steaks all day, but you will be in ketosis...

being in ketosis for a month is not going to kill you. there are lots of people who eat very low carb (to almost zero carb) diets who aren't dropping dead, despite being in ketosis for a long time. 

(p.s. i don't encourage it)