Critique my training routine?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by guesswhat, Nov 28, 2014.

1. #1 guesswhat, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
    My current routine is a 3 day split. My focus is on strength gains and some size. Also I am working to fix my posture which isn't horrible, but I do have some lordosis I would like to eliminate.

So below is my general workout. I start with compounds and at the end might do some stuff for fun like barbell curls (but normally not every workout). I do a few runs through my 3 day split at 4-6 reps for compounds and 6-8 for the less compound movements. Then I'll do a few runs through my 3 day split at 6-8 reps for compounds and 8-12 for the less compound movements. I rest for a day after 2 or maybe 3 days of working out, longer if my muscles need it.

Chest, Shoulders (front and side delts), Triceps
    Flat Barbell Bench Press, 4-6 sets
    Standing Overhead Press, 3-5 sets
    Dumbbell Chest Fly or TRX Chest Press, 3 sets

Back, Traps, Biceps, Rear Delts
    Bent-Over Barbell Rows, 4-5 sets
    Chinups (small lats, working on getting to clean pullups), Sets of 4 until I hit 20 reps
    One-arm Dumbbell Rows, 3 sets
    Barbell Shrugs, 3 sets
    Barbell or Dumbbell Curls, 1-3 sets

Leg Day
    Barbell Squats (back squats mostly, occasional front squats), 4-6 sets
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts (for my hammies and glutes), 3-4 sets
    Varied ab work, 1-2 exercises of 2-4 sets each

I should note I only have access to some equipment like a rack, barbell, and dumbbells. No cables equipment or machines, just a TRX.

2. Oh I also do barbell deadlifts, but not often as I'm still relatively new and don't want to overload my central nervous system. I'll do them once or twice a month. I don't do more than a 2-3 working sets of those since I can go oddly heavy (with proper form) on those compared to my other lifts.

3. Add in some core exercises

Looks good as long as you are pushing yourself

-yuri

4. I will add a few more core exercises! I definitely am pushing myself, I don't want to waste anymore time in the gym lol. I do enjoy working out now as well, mostly if I get a good workout in.

5. if you are going more for strength, than size... i would add a little more variety.
    because otherwise what you have is just a pretty solid weight lifting routine.

add some isometric work
    add some sets to failure or super-sets
    i would add more squats 
    stability exercises (example: plank on a stability ball to failure. set of 6-8)
    things like kettlebell swings or hindu pushups/squats which hit both cardio and strength and are fantastic finishers to get just a little more out of your body
    more squats :)
    core was mentioned

so yeah.. more variety.. just throw in some random shit here and there to keep your body guessing. find interesting ways to finish your work out to failure (either with a pyramid of push-ups to 100, after working your chest... or some isometric work.. etc.) 

Why more isolation? I am still learning but I have done that in the past. Never got too far and the more I read the more I saw people saying isolation work is for advanced lifters such as a professional bodybuilder. I don't think they are bad, but I am really into the starting with compounds and then going to some isolation work from there... Or are you saying something else?

I am going to add more squats once I feel my core is stronger and my hammies are stronger. I have pretty big quads already, as well as my calves. They both grow like no other. I love my squats and don't like training hammies (seems the most painful, because of how tight/short they have become not because I'm doing exercises poorly)... but that seems like all the more reason to keep working harder on my hammies, core and glutes  :)

For stability I don't have access to bosu balls, stability balls, kettlebells, bands, etc.

did i say isolation? i meant isometric. basically holding a plank or a yoga chair pose for 30 seconds, etc... you start to "hit" stabilizer muscles and it gives you a really deep target burn.

for squats make sure you go past parallel (with less weight) it will stretch and hit your hamstrings... to reverse the tight hamstrings do the upsidedown dog yoga pose (lean to do it well. it will be very hard in the beginning)... learn to hold it for a while and really get the stretch.

i highly recommend yoga flows to restore much damage done by overworking or imbalance in muscle training. 

No you did said isometric  -_-  I read that wrong lol, but I appreciate the added explanation. I'll look more into that and the yoga upsidedown dog.

I squat a bit past parallel. I don't go too deep right now because I can see in videos my butt starting to 'wink' or curve under and I know that isn't safe. Something else I need to work on.