Just want some advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jtrain252, Nov 27, 2014.

1. #1 jtrain252, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
    So ive been doing reading over the past few days i just want to see if this information im getting makes sense. I want to start growing for personal use. I would like to have 1 small setup capable of producing 6-9 ounces in one shot(grow cycle)....that way i have enough to last 3 months which is what a cycle takes.(is that considered small????i smoke about 2 ounces a month-so i figured if the plants take 3 months to harvest ill need that much to last.

I was thinking of doing a Computer build but i dont know if its possible to make that much.....My biggest concerns
    1. im in a non legal state USA so getting seeds. Ive heard herbies will send to me and that the worst that happens is i lose the seeds and they reship
    2.smell as i live alone in my own house i need to make sure that the setup does not smell bad.
    3.obviously i want something small but potent as i have bad anxiety and horrible stomach issues plus  i can keep the heat and lights to a minimum
    also im trying to find an AUTO (for ease of growing) that yields the MOST weight wise...

Ive read so much my head is spinning and im not sure how to proceed CFL im assuming 
    Anyone with suggestions please let me know Ive built my own pc so im wondering if it could be done for the quantity i want. or if i need something bigger........sorry im kind of an idiot when it comes to building something unless im walked through. anyone who wants to become my friend let me know 

2. HPS will give you the yield you desire, but CFLs are more cost-efficient. as for the smell, you're going to need to invest in a good carbon filter. it'll take care of the smells just fine. a lot of people make their own.  amazon sells them.

3. You need at least a 3x3 area if you want 6-9 oz..get a apollo 600w light on amazon and a 6" ipower fan and whatever carbon filter you like..i like the can 33..as for strain blue dream from humboldt seeds is easy to grow and a great yielder..also barneys critical kush is nice

4. Smoking weed is not addictive. Growing sure is. Start. You will make adjustments as the experience is revealed to you. Soon (4-6 months) you will be measuring in mason jars instead of grams.

5. So with an auto lets say  blue dream.......how many plants would fit in a 3x3 area with 1 600 watt light.....any particular tent come to mind that doesnt cost 343224324 dollars lol.......Im fine with building or buying a carbon filter...i guess my biggest worry is getting the seeds here and not being watched (paranoid)...Like i said i smoke an average of 1-2 oz a month so i guess my goal was to make enough that when the grow is finished i have enough pot to hold me over until next grow if that sounds like the build is going to be massive ill cut it back 

does this seem good.....I dont want a MASSIVE grow again i dont want to get caught lol  i need a tent and pots then i think that would complete it 
    \tShopping Cart
    \t\t\t<div> 
    \tPrice
    \tQuantity
    \t
    \t</div>\t\t\t<div>\t<div> 
    \t\t<div>\t<div>\t<div>\t<div style=";">\t<div>[​IMG]
    \t
    \t\t  
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t\t$146.20
    \t\n\t\n\tYou save: 
    $83.79 (36%)
    \t
    \t\t\t<div>       1       2       3       4       5       6       7       8       9       1       10 +  <span style="text-align:center;"><span><span style="text-align:left;font-size:11px;font-family:Arial, sans-serif;margin:0px;color:rgb(17,17,17);background-color:transparent;"><span>1</span></span></span></span>\t<div> 
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t\t\t<div> 
    \t
    \t\t  
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t\t$22.75
    \t\n\t\n\tYou save: 
    $5.20 (19%)
    \t
    \t\t\t<div>       1       2       3       4       5       6       7       8       9       1       10 +  <span style="text-align:center;"><span><span style="text-align:left;font-size:11px;font-family:Arial, sans-serif;margin:0px;color:rgb(17,17,17);background-color:transparent;"><span>1</span></span></span></span>\t<div> 
    \t
    \t
    \t\t  
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t\t$18.81
    \t\n\t\n\tYou save: 
    $4.18 (18%)
    \t
    \t
    \t
    \t\t  
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t\t$47.78
    \t\n\t\n\tYou save: 
    $2.17 (4%)
    \t
    \t
    \t
    \t\t  
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t\t$99.95
    \t\n\t\n\t 
    \t
    \t
    \t
    \t\t  
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t\t$9.49
    \t\n\t\n\t 
    \t
    \t\t\t<div>       1       2       3       4       5       6       7       8       9       1       10 +  <span style="text-align:center;"><span><span style="text-align:left;font-size:11px;font-family:Arial, sans-serif;margin:0px;color:rgb(17,17,17);background-color:transparent;"><span>2</span></span></span></span>\t<div> 
    \t
    \t
    \t\t  
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t\t$9.98
    \t\n\t\n\tYou save: 
    $3.01 (23%)
    \t
    \t\t\t<div>       1       2       3       4       5       6       7       8       9       1       10 +  <span style="text-align:center;"><span><span style="text-align:left;font-size:11px;font-family:Arial, sans-serif;margin:0px;color:rgb(17,17,17);"><span>1</span></span></span></span>\t<div> 
    \t
    \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t</div>

6. yea thats a good start might want a sealed reflector like the one with the cool tube..also those cheap carbon filters suck but will prob be decent until you can get something better..I also like the rubber coated black ducting more than the silver...I would just do normal strains since you would have both mh for veg and hps for flower..you can get 8-12 oz with a good yielding strain pretty easy with that setup

7. it all sounds good i guess theres just so much information out there its hard to figure it out lol

I guess im looking at a tent or closet grow I think instead of the 600 watters ill just buy the 1000 since everyone says more light is more yield.........so if i were to do one plant NON auto a pretty good yielding plant would be?

how big of a bucket would i need 5 gallon

8. You would need a cool tube with a 1000w and that light would suit a dr120, so would be a bit much for a closet grow, unless you got a 1.2/1.2/2.0 closet?

Why do we call it the third eye? When really it could be the first

9. everyones gonna hate on me now ^^

might wanna consider an led grow, I find led makes plants a lot frostier

if you check my sig that's my latest grow, its fairly detailed all way and you can see what you gonna need

and some autos are very nice yielders, but I wouldn't recommend autos for a 1st grow (if you make a mistake you will yield nothing, wich is where the belief comes from that autos are rubbish)

10. 3 month cycle? I don't screw with autos, but don't they take the same 54-60 days to flower out fully? If so, a 3 month cycle's pretty damn short. 1 month of vegging. You won't get an easy 6-9 ounces that way, and CFLs are pretty much useless as a primary or only light source for anything over a 12" plant...which MIGHT yield an ounce if you're good (I've HEARD of people getting 2oz per plant from an auto under 100 watts kept at 12" height using CFL, but never from a person face to face, or with documentation of any sort).

As oldskool says, LEDs are better than CFLs by a long shot. Not yet as good as equivalent HIDs, IMO, if used solo. But each type of lighting system has its shortcomings, gaps, and advantages. I always advise people to build a "hybrid" system...choose the type of lighting you want to use as your primary..then cover weaknesses by using other sources that aren't in powerful enough amounts on their own, but provide SOME relief from the shortcomings or problems caused by the primary. For instance, an adequately rated LED main light, and a couple CFL fixtures to feed SOME of the "gap" bandwidths.

If I were shooting for your goals, I'd go with non-autoflowering plants, use a 6 month cycle (4 vegging, 2 flowering), under an LED primary system, 3-4  plants flowered at 30 to 36 inches, under an equivalency of at least 400 watts HID "primary light" in a minimum of a 4 by 4 floorspace. At that height, under that wattage, you should be pulling an honest 3 oz per plant. Possibly more.

As for smell...ghetto/"redneck engineering" trick...scented HEPA quality furnace filters over your exhaust duct....smell starts coming through, turn fan off, soak with Febreeze, let dry, turn back on. Cheaper and easier than a carbon filter, and doesn't have the inevitable blowing out of carbon dust. Get 'em at almost any store with a home hardware section that carries furnace filters.

11. Attached Files:

12. They definitely grow lovely plants...my issues are with fall off (which is only significant if the plants top 3 feet in veg), and "bandwidth gaps"

As they continue to add emitter bands, and improve focusing lenses and emitter strength, I'm more and more willing to say they're getting close to HID effects with lighting, at much lower electricity consumption and heat.

Note, as I've said, I HAVE run a couple of my crops under an LED primary system, using a Solar Flare 200 as the centerpiece in a 4 by 4 tent...but I never let my plants top 30 inches max before flowering.

That's changing with this new grow, I moved to a bigger tent in the garage, so have a 10 foot tall tent...counting bucket height and light space as "unusable", that still means I can grow to 4 or 5 feet above soil before flowering. Went with the dual HID because the initial outlay was almost two grand lower than that for LED systems I KNOW are quality that would be at all comparable (California Lightworks and Black Dog).

Since that decision, I've been shown a couple cheaper LED systems that are apparently of similar quality components, so when my next crop goes in in midsummer, I expect I'll be going back to LED and centered system.  I mean, tossing (or selling) a $600 pair of 1,000 watt HIDs with a high end digital ballast and buying an $1100 (total) pair of LED systems advanced enough to remove MOST of my complaints...to save damn near $150/mo in electricity is kind of a no-brainer...lol.

13. Well by all means show me what u think would be good to buy for a beginner.....i am in the process of buying a new home and will have a spare room/ walk in in that home....the walk in is roughly 3 feet deep and 4 1/2 feet wide.Im not worried about heat cause ill be cooling with a fan and im not worried about electric cause i have a massive 60 gallon fish tnak with lights and plants so that can be my excuse......My biggest problem is making sure the smell is gone..........and making sure i dont get caught which since noone will know and i look like an everyday sales man i dont see it being a problem.............Only reason i was thinking autos was because they sounded easier....i could just leave the lights on 24/7 and not worry about cycles and things....but if u think me doing a normal plant will yield more then fine....Like i said I would like to be able to make about 6oz minimum that way i have enough to last the 3/4 months it will take to do the next batch..........im at your mercy. Show me LEd wise what your talking about and how many plants u think ill need :)  

14. Hmm no it not that expensive my led are from mars hydro and there brilliant leds have you got pics.from your last grow i like to see other results from other leds and led growers.

I grew them plants under my mars2 400w 5w led with total.output being 200w. So im hitting great gpw off it to be fair.

auto help page if you need help with autoflowers http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1294434-Need-help-with-autos?-Welcome

new vote page sept please vote http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/photovote/2014-09-03-autoultimate%C2%AE-loki_1752/

15. The light wont be enough to cope with the space if you choose led you need more and that led is notmgreat trust me if budget allows look at mars hydro there awsome and not expensive for the quality

If not look in to a 250-400w hps in a 3x3 ive have a 400w in but you maybwanna bump up the fan
    If you go 250w that lot looks.good.

You going with autos or photos.
    As its first grow id recomend photos unless you wanna go autos if ya do theres a few changes to soil id make thats all.
    Other wise looks ok man.

Strain wise id try dp or dinafem there really respectable seed banks

And the place to buy is vault seeds there amazing and have lots o free seed offers.
    Theae are my autox from dp i grew under 250w hps they were amazing plant i loved them
    This pic was taken before the other pic the buds were thicker than a coke bottle 1417160064127.jpg
    In this pic it was a day from being chopped :)
    1417160046213.jpg

auto help page if you need help with autoflowers http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1294434-Need-help-with-autos?-Welcome

new vote page sept please vote http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/photovote/2014-09-03-autoultimate%C2%AE-loki_1752/

16. Beautiful plants loki125, purple harvest is bloody gorgeous looking nom nom lol, is the deep purple genetic alone or does the led help bring that out