Homosexuality May Have Evolved In Humans Because It Helps Us Bond, Scientists Say

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Carne Seca, Nov 26, 2014.

1. #21 puddleglum, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014

I will rephrase as an "I statement" to avoid ruffling any feathers. To be clear I intended the word "affectionate" in my previous posts to mean "sex."

I am consider myself "straight" and have been both affectionate AND intimate with both men and women. I suspect there are a great many others who feel similarly. I have read studies suggesting, for example, that there are more heterosexuals having same-sex sex right now in the world than there are homosexuals having same-sex sex...

tl;dr hooking up with your same sex-friend doesn't make you "gay"! :)

2. Well now you're getting into fairy tale land with Jesus. Imaginary characters certainly can be deviant. Anyway I misread the original statement.

3. #23 HBGBUB, Nov 27, 2014
    This is strictly my opinion but if you have sex with someone of the same sex then you're gay. I don't care if you also have sex with the opposite sex, you're still gay. If you're a little gay you're full on gay.

That's totally not a bad thing. Not at all. I love gay people. But same sex sex is gay no matter how you spin it

Sorry about that.  Didn't know you were atheist.  It was an example of male affection that was considered normal using a well known historical/fictional character. 

5. #25 puddleglum, Nov 27, 2014

I totally respect that opinion. But watch out--by your definition there are a lot more "gay" people in the world than you might think there are! ;)

FWIW I would consider myself both "straight" and "queer" or possibly even a "fag" but certainly not "gay" (though you are welcome to call me that if you wish).

I don't eat pork but that doesn't make me Jewish...

6. #26 HBGBUB, Nov 27, 2014
    Hey man more power to them, I'd be cool if everyone was gay, Like I said I love gay people. I'm like mlk for gay people. I judge by the content of a person character not who they go to bed with.

I wouldn't call you anything but you're name.

7. Just so this doesn't get too complicated here is the dictionary definition of affectionate:

affectionate:

1.  showing, indicating, or characterized by affection or love; fondly tender: an affectionate embrace.

2.  having great affection or love; warmly attached; loving: your affectionate brother.

8. To dispel any ambiguity, when I used the word "affectionate" earlier, I meant it as a euphemism for "hot same-sex sex." ;)

9. Lol. Didn't I just post that in the other thread.
    A new study on fox.com says homosexuality is the devil.
    I mean since scientist say it and all.

10. out of all the cool shit humans could've evolved for, we chose to be more social? i doubt it.

evolution is a choice now?  lol

12. There are homosexual couples so kids get adopted from orphanages

[​IMG]

13. Interesting theory. I like how they also applied the research on effects of homosexuality to animals other than humans. It seems like a good starting point seeing as it's observed in countless species. It'd be interesting to know other possible behaviours. Like if it's common for animals who exhibit same-sex sexual behaviours to adopt other offspring or other behaviours.

The so-called "gay uncle theory" is another notable one, in that an organism with same-sex tendencies will provide resources to it's kin. i.e. Even if I don't have kids, I will still be likely to participate in the caretaking of my sibling's children and possibly making financial contributions, thus still contributing to the success of my bloodline.

14. Yeah my boy hugged me randomly the other day and rested his head on my shoulder. I didn't do anything. It fucking touched me though

15. Even if I was completely outcasted and shunned by my whole community, but there was this one guy who offered companionship, I would totally still not be gay.

Da fuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

You can have male companionship without being gay.  

In the Navajo creation story there was a time when men and women were at odds with each other and decided to separate.  The men were boasting they were the best providers and the women took umbrage and claimed they were the best providers.  They separated their community by gender to prove they didn't need each other to survive.  

As the days went on things went from bad to worse and people started to go hungry.  The children suffered the most.  It was the gay members of the tribe that stepped up to provide for the children. Which they did until the men and women reconciled and became a single community again.  To this day among traditionals gays are considered sacred and the protectors of children.   

17. #37 Deleted member 822515, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    thats funny i remember saying that being gay went against human nature because of reproduction on this very forum and then got attacked for my "pseudo science"

18. Great story!

19. this article has an interesting opinion, however homosexual behavior in apes actually tends to be a show of dominance, especially with bonobos, which solve virtually every conflict by banging each other and penis fencing.  I mean I cant claim to know if the one taking it is enjoying it or not.. "shrug"    bottom bonobos!

20. You've just created an account here this year though?