Escaping Social Isolation

Discussion in 'General' started by CanIBeShaggy, Nov 26, 2014.

1. #1 CanIBeShaggy, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
    Hey guys, i have learn some things today so i guess this is more of a motivational thread.. For the past year or so i have had Clinical Depression and i feel like i am just getting out of it today/this morning.. I was depressed because some people treated me badly, and i felt like noone cared about me. As i thought back about it have realized its because i wouldn't open myself to anyone around me. Its not that they dont care, but if you just act like you dont want them there then it will come off as sort of a rejection towards the person.. If anyone else who reads this has suffered from depression because of social isolation you have to realize that its not them, its you. You have to show some interest in the person your talking to, now, if you find that very hard like i did please educate yourself on the following concept:

Stop taking every moment so seriously: You may be placed in a sort of a social situation for whatever reason. You dont know what to say, or how to express yourself, and when you do, it may come off as awkward, or something of that nature. Why? Because your so nervous, if you think about it you probably are thinking of every negative possibility that may happen after you do or say something. Youre probably doing this because you might feel worthless, or that noone likes you or wants you there. You may think this because there looking at you weird. Why are they looking at you like that? BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T FUCKING SAID ANYTHING. Whenever this is happening, and to prevent a situation like this just think the following thought; "I need to stop taking this so seriously". It might sound a bit to easy or a fantasized solution, but it works.

My experience: I would often talk myself up and would promise myself that i wasent going to be so quiet and weird but i would get nervous and from there my mind would start racing like "what should i say, what should i do?!?" Id freakout and then would either end up not saying a thing, or having a horrible conversation. You need to realize that you have to act like you want to be where you are, and your happy about it. And please, realize that its easy, just feel the vibe of the room, and go with the flow. Its not hard, so why make it hard? Fake it, until you make it :)

2. been there...done that...not cool but if a man tries hard enough he can generally get things to be ok...its a mind over matter type deal...

3. Woah man, this post is filled with great stuff. I have trouble talking to a good friend of mine (which is ridiculous because we've known each other forever) because I feel like I have to impress her or something. Or maybe that if I say the wrong thing she'll lose interest in me. Haha but that's a whole issue all together because I'm still trying to sort out my feelings for her. But thanks for the post man, it helped me out more than you'll know. I'm gonna try to be more at ease, and stop worrying about what others think.

4. Alright man. Let me know how it goes :)

5. I use to have this problem 6 years ago. Absolutely no friends, depressed as hell. Then I made a few friends, then a lot of friends from their friends. Then I realized I didn't care about them mostly because of how they acted so I cut everyone off. Then since I knew how to make friends I made some friends Then again a lot of friends and up until recently I'm not sure I want to be these people's friends so I've stopped chilling.

It's just that when I meet them I think they're chill so I'll befriend them then I realized I'm too Damn mature compared to them. There are three friends that I feel are with me with the maturity but God I'm not someone who likes to get drunk every night or blow my money on stupid shit. I feel like I have nothing in common with them.

Once you get the hang of it making friends is ridiculously easy. You're problem after that is being depressed because you have friends but not really the friends you want to have and going through so many people but never finding those friends you really connect with so you chill with them but feel like you have nothing in common, you have fun, but deep down you don't feel happy.

Be friends with people who share your vision and philosophy of life having a lot of friends for the sake of having lots of friends is not what it's cracked up to be. I'd rather have the three friends I have a great connection with Then 100 people I can call friends but have nothing in common just to shoot the shit.this is from my experience with a social life.

6. I wish you great success on your journey of life...seems you are figuring out and patching over some of the rough patchs...allow me to give you a piece of advice.....If you ever feel "weird" around others...like you dont fit in or will do or say something strange and it be taken the wrong way or just made to feel odd by some around you...believe me when I say EVERYONE is WEIRD....everyone is ODD...we ALL have something in us thats just not quite right..and a big part of growing up is just allowing yourself the freedom to say " You know what? I just dont give a shit..I'm gonna be happy by being me" and you will find others gravitating to your new sense of understanding...people like confidence and it can be felt by others and it is very attractive. As long as you try to do others no harm, are capable of laughing at yourself, you'll find a lot of people suddenly wanting to be your friend.....have fun and relax....wish you all the luck!

7. Sounds more like social anxiety than depression. But fuck it, I've had both in my life and they are no fun. Glad you're starting to feel better.

8. Good thread! Shit I've been battling since I was 7 (24 now)

[​IMG]

9. :laughing: I wish. The social anxiety created social isolation which created the depression.

10. Exactly. Social anxiety is the stem of it all

[​IMG]

11. Same way here. Appreciate the thread man :)