400 Watts HPS Heat Question.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SweeneyWeeney, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Anyone needs me, I'll be at Rumple's house....

2. #22 DazedAndStoned, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
    I'm just in here to say you can easily cram a 400 in that space with NO heat problems at all if you got a 4" or 6" inline fan at the least. Too stoned to read the whole thread but its very easy to maintain temps with a cool tube, not dialed down on the ballast. You want an intake hole at least the size as your fan. I rock an 8" fan but its reduced to a 6" and 4" to cool two cabs and dialed down to 45V. My HPS has an intake of 6" and my temps never get above 80 or 2 above ambient

Attached Files:

3. Thanks for all the insight guys, really helping me decide what I need to do here since I have such a confined space. Just because our current era has such a minimal amount of CO2 doesn't mean that its "unnatural" for an environment. 65 million years ago CO2 levels were much higher which is what resulted in bigger plants it was "natural'' then for CO2 concentrations to be that high. Kind of a Plato's philosophical cave perspective of the whole situation. However I don't want Jurassic plants because I'm in such limited space so ill probably just begin with the cool tubes and fans to see where my temps at and move on from there. All really good points by everybody, any more suggestions on lowering temp within such a small space is appreciated! thanks for all the links too! beginning my wishlist for the next month or break from school :yay:  :devious:

4. LOL...well said. Though, if I had the headroom, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple "jurassic plants". Wonder if you'd get T. Wrexed smoking their yield.

5. Nice lookin lady, and as I said to each his own but as a newer grow he might be better off sticking to the basics until he has learned enough to make his own judgments as to whether he wants to grow with the "extras", right now the right lights, and he can get the same light from the same company with cool tubes, but to make you feel better heres a link to the cool tube kit......... http://www.ebay.com/itm/400w-400-watt-HPS-MH-Grow-Light-System-Set-Premium-Kit-Dimm-Green-House/291003666817?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D27889%26meid%3Dde4231b8283941a49cc66e10f1ac35b6%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D11452%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D380996500826o he

I grow with both the gull wing and the cool tube with just a standard  fan set to 1000 Watts in a 5X5X6 1/2 ft tent with no heating issues  and I quit using C02 a while back when I started growing quality over quantity, but your plants look good so..keep up the good work...

6. LMAOOOOOOO puns... :smoking:  :ey: I wish, maybe someday! :laughing:

7. Thanks bud I would've replied to each individual response, but im currently trying to write a 6 page ss essay :cry:  But yea I completelllllyyyyy agree Im going to stick with the basics and grow some bag seeds once I get my environment right. Glad I posted this though really making me contemplate the right places for my fans, intakes, and everything else.

8. Listen to Rumple guys, he knows what hes talking about. Never before have i seen a pound from 2 plants after vegging just 10 days! With a single 400w light! Seriously Rumple is my sole inspiration for going DWC, and boy is it worth it.

9. again tho you sound like you have been growing as long if not longer than I have Rumple so I think logic tells you that for a newbie grower he needs to learn the basics before the advanced, also the gull wing link was replaced with a cool tube link.....I basically was just trying to give him pricing ideas as we had already decided cool tube...........my bad for the confusion,

10. Definetely all about credibility, but any insight, experience, or comment is appreciated. Whats DWC?

NO need to apologize for any confusion bud ahahah this is why sites like this are up, so everyone can share experience and knowledge of grows, and possibly help out newbies like me learn the way so that I can make as few stupid first timer mistakes as possible! :smoke:

11. DWC = deep water culture method hydroponics. One plant I tried it on, I developed a problem where roots separated from stem. been trying to learn why ever since, no success, so far. Haven't even found someone reporting the same issue, whole plant just separated from the root ball.

Which just shows that you can study the hell out of every variable you can think of, and still develop an unexpected problem you can't cope with through ignorance on a given point.

12. #33 ChronJonDoe, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
    DWC = Deep Water Culture aka bubble buckets, just check out Rumples signature for all the info you could ask for!

Oh ya and if you ever go this route, remember to brew some beneficial microbe tea. It can make all the difference.

13. Not a problem sweeny If ya have any other ?'s just ask brother we will always try and help ya out,I grow both soil and DWC and have for goin on 15 yrs so I will help ya with what knowledge I can....

14. if ya ever go DWC just go Gerenal Hydroponics they will have everything you need all in one box that will last 3-4 grows and the microbial tea rocks

15. SweeneyWeeney, best of luck with your grow room. Remember, it is not how long you have been growing, it is how fast you learn.

Peace, R.

Kind of scared to go Hydro, but I'm definitely debating on it. Just a matter of weighing out the pros and cons of both ahahaha

Forsure! will do if I decide to take that route, thanks bud!

17. From a smoker's standpoint, I have smoked the same strain from the same tent at the same time, and the hydro was the smoother/stronger smoke. I WISH I had any talent, there.

Can't say that that's consistent, though...some swear by hydro, some condemn it, some get great smoke, some apparently get crap.

18. Forsure I can find them on ebay too or a site? By any chance do you know how often they restock those light packages? they have four options and only two have the cool tube; one of which is sold out. Unless the other is a better way to go?