first wax rig setup i need help

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by katsmiley7, Nov 26, 2014.

1. so i bought a nail randomly the other day and it only fits my bong and small handheld rig.
    on my bong i dont get a good hit. when i exhale i can see smoke but when i dab it the smoke just goes straight up, not through the peice. On my rig it doesnt fill up with smoke. i dont know whether i need a dome or not.

I honestly dont know what i need!

this is my first time dabbing at home. I always dabbed with my friend but since he passed i havent dabbed once. i would love to get this working so any help is appreciated. also i hope this makes sense im brand new to this community.

thank you!
    -Kat

P.S i included pics of both peices.
    IMG_6008.JPG IMG_6009.JPG IMG_6010.JPG IMG_6011.JPG

2. if the vapor is not going into the stem, you may need a dome to cover the nail. Is that a domeless nail? 

Welcome to wonderful world of concentrates! Once you get the hang of it, wonder purchasing a smaller oil only rig. I just picked up a killer Toro knock off and paired it a Quartz Banger (quartz bowl/nail) and I am getting so much higher than when I used my big glass bong with  nail. 

3. You are either not getting the nail hot enough or you are getting the nail to hot could be a reason for not getting very much smoke. And are you saying the smoke just goes in the air instead of through the tube when you try to hit it? Also are you carbing the nail with anything? That will help a lot with domeless nails. And no you can not get a dome for s domeless nail.

4.  season that nail. Will help taste and function of the nail.

Try plugging the nail with your finger and see if it is air tight.

5. I did season it. Unless I did it wrong? And I have no idea if it's domeless or not. I just picked it up and bought it. And yes the smoke is just going into the air. Last night I tried to heat it up more. It kinda fogged the chamber up a bit but not really. I can get a okay hit but nothing as strong as it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. its definitely a domeless nail. How much are you heating it? Do you see it turn red? you should heat it just til it begins to turn red and then let it cool for 30 seconds or so and dab away. Use something glass to cover the top of the nail with after you get your oil on the nail, this is what people mean by carbing. it can help you get all the vapor at lower temps

7. Did you make sure its air tight? Plug the nail hole with your finger and try to draw air through the bong. You are inhaling a little before and during the entire hit? I knew a guy who would try to puff bongs\\oil rigs like a pipe. It didn't work out well for him.

8. well this is a first for me, ive never before seen a nail on a softglass grommet tube. That tube reminds of the one my friend kept in his trunk when we were 16, good times with that bong man. anyway it looks interesting. and that other piece with what looks like a recycler r is pretty dope 

9. It's glass on glass man.

10. that white rim under the stem isnt rubber? its a cool bong regardless i like the colors. and for ~30 they are my favorite budget bong option. 

11. Maybe that is a rubber piece? Could be glass maybe. But if you look at the second picture you can see a ground glass joint bowl on the table.

Pretty sure that's glass on glass. Or they put a glass on glass downstem with a rubber piece to hold it in place.

That bong does look like a cheap one

12. #12 DabsOnTheMountain, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
    My friend has a bong just like that, he got it in Canada. It looks like a grommet piece... only yours has a glass on glass downstem?
    Neat.

It sounds like maybe the nail isn't airtight enough, or its not hot enough. A nail like that shouldn't be airtight because expansion and contraction crack joints. The only dome-less nail i've ever heard of breaking a piece was a nail like that, so be careful heatwise....

13. It's glass on glass with rubber to keep it in place. And it was cheap. My other peice broke so it's this for now. And so I should maybe get a dome?

14. Damn I was right on! Lol

No you should get a carb cap and post a video of you dabbing so we can tell you if it's hot enough or what ever the problem could be. Temp is probably too low or too high

Domeless + carb cap

Or

Dome + regular nail

Those are the options.

You have a Domeless nail so you are having trouble capturing all the vapors.

15. That's what I was thinking. Most nails turn red. Mine doesn't so I think it's not hot enough. But I will try that.

16. Nails will turn red at diff temperatures depending on ambient lighting. I always heat my nail up in the dark or in the shade.

In bright lighting it's hard to see it turn red. You really have to focus on seeing the color change. Once you can gauge temp you'll be good

17. So I heated it for like 5 min straight and it hella fogged up! I think that's what I was doing wrong. And I seasoned it some more.

18. You could get a carb cap for it since its some less but I don't think it's necessary. Make sure you're ihalimg before the dabber even touched the nail. As others have said make sure your nail is hot enough. That's why I use propane, it's a lot faster and I'm impatient.

19. Propane torches are no good for your nails longevity though. They burn too hot and speed up the oxidizing of the titanium.

and carb caps are definitely necessary for domeless nails if you want an enjoyable dab.

20. i dont use a carb cap on my domeless nail. i think it comes down to getting the temp just right. i put my torch to my domeless titanium nail for about 8 or 10 seconds, which is enough  to get one side of the nail red hot. that is the side i drop my dab on to. after it it gets red hot on the one side i then count to 9 to cool it off. that seems to be just enough time so it is at the perfect temp for nice milky dabs. the key is definitely getting the temp just right. here is what i do and hopefully you can take something useful away from it. and remember that every rig and nail works a little bit different so you will need to play around a bit.

1) make sure my torch is mostly full.
    2) get my dab ready on my tool.
    3) make sure the water is fresh in my rig and that it is at the right level.

4) i heat up the nail to red hot on one side. it takes about 8 or 10 seconds when the torch is mostly full. you need a real torch for this. not the little tiny one that has the little 1 inch flame. you need something that will produce a 4 or 5 inch flame at least. other wise you are there for 3 minutes trying to get the fucking thing hot enough.

5) after the nail is red hot on one side, i count to 8 or 9 to let the nail get to the perfect temperature. the color drops from red hot to its normal color. i have the dabing tool in my hand and as soon as i hit the count of 8 or 9 i drop the tool into the domeless nail.

6) if the temp is right on you can sort of hear the little dab kind of sizzling in there. not instantaneously but like a half second or so. i am inhaling enough to get air flow into the rig but not so much like a bong rip. you will know because all of the smoke goes through the rig and into your lungs.

7) i count to 10 or 15 and let it all out.

trouble shooting:
    *the nail keeps smoking after your hit and you didn't really get much into your lungs.
    -you need to get the nail hotter initially and then let it cool anywhere from a couple of seconds to 10 or 15. get one side of the nail red hot, then let it cool and then lengthen the or shorten the cooling time as needed to get a good milky hit.

*it takes a minute or longer to get my nail red hot.
    -get a bigger torch. and by torch i mean something that will shoot out a 5 or 6 inch flame on its highest setting. that way it will take but 15 or 20 seconds to get one side of the nail red hot.

good luck :metal: