How do I start? (WARNING: Seriously annoying newbie questions within)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by tillygrower, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Ok so this is my first grow.  I have made a soil mix based on all your recommendations.  I has been cooking for about a month in 20 gal pots, and some extra still left on the tarp that I mixed it on.  I have worms and clover growing in them now.

I have seeds that are ready to go,  I am just unsure on how to proceed.

Do I just plant them in the no-tills  (It is virgin soil and have not grown in them yet)?

Do I germinate in wet paper towel? and then plant in solo cups with the extra soil mix? and then transplant into the no-tills? 

Do I need to mix a more gentle/less hot mix?

I know there is a lot of information out there on this subject but being as this is my first grow I want to make sure that I am getting good information that is in line with how I am going to grow (no-till).

There is probably a lot of good information on this in the threads that I am already reading here, but those threads are 100+ pages and I am having trouble finding this info.

Thanks for any replies, and thanks for all of the info on this forum!!!

2. We'll be glad to answer any specific questions you may have, BUT, we won't do your homework for you and that's what you're asking.

Most of the information you need is usually in the first 2 or 3 pages of those 100+ page threads. Time to do a bit of research.

Wet

3. #3 tillygrower, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
    I did ask a few specific questions.
    I understand it's no fun to answer such elementary questions.  I'll keep sifting through the info I have.

It's not that I am unwilling to do my homework.....It is just that reading through pages and pages every day (all of which is new info to me) and trying to write down notes to myself.  It is a lot of info to take in at once......sorry for the silly question.  

I will figure it out.  

4. Heres my answers to those questions. Did you successfully germinate the clover, and is it growing green and happy? If so, in my garden that would be a green light to plant the seeds right in their final homes (i'd water the pots good, and clear out a patch of the clover before i planted the seed). General rule of thumb is ~2x the seed's width for planting depth. Poke er down in there, cover gently. Paper towels can cause undue stress on the taproot imo, plus, do you ever hear of a farmer germinating his broccoli seeds in a paper towel?

Thats just me. I hate transplanting, and usually the ladies arent very fond of it. Ymmv, but i take a very simple approach.

Hope that helps!

5. #5 mafiatic602, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
    Yeah what Nick nack said ...make sure ur clover is nice and healthy and not yellow or burned ..you Should be fine .good luck start a journal and experienced growers are always eager to help ..sow your seeds right in the soil and get yourself a spray bottle much easier than drowning or overwatering by pouring ..peace and good luck and remember ..if it looks good l.i.f.t.a! Leave it the fuck alone

6. I would think you'd be fine planting directly into the big pots but you also don't want the clover strangling the new seedlings out either. That would have me planting into cups and then transplanting the cups into your bigger pots. It'll also give the big pots another couple of weeks to settle in.

Good luck.

J

7. If this is your first grow, I would not plant a seed right into your large container. Baby seedlings are very easy to over water. I soak my seeds for about 24 hrs in some water with a little kelp and coconut powder. After the soak, I stick them in little peat pellets until they have sprouted and the cotyledons are green and reaching for light. After that they go into approx a 1/2 gallon container where they will grow until they show which sex they are. This could take up to 8 weeks. At this point they have a solid root base and are drinking water pretty quickly. Now stick your females in the final container where you can flower them.

8. #8 waktoo, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    ^^^^^^^^^  This is what I would do.

You've gotten some good advice, but if you're going no-till, I definitely wouldn't plant into the final pot until I knew for sure that the plant was female.

9. Try using a turkey baster for watering them when they are young. They are graduated and they allow you to be gentle with the water while they are still delicate.  

10. #10 RanchoDeluxe, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    No worries man. All you asked was 'what should I start my seeds in'? Not a big deal....no where near as difficult as reading Moby Dick and then remembering what the name of the damn whale is.

The best advice i can give you is don't pop beans you've spent cash on until you know your soil, room, light, temp...plant growing good happens first. Ya don't know until ya know, ya know?

I'm not gonna give you the green light on planting until I know what you're actually going to plant them in.

1 gal. peat moss
    1 gal. perlite
    1/2 gal ewc
    1tbs. oyster shell

^^^^
    Great seedling mix.

Edit: I'll help ya out w/ the homework anytime. It's boring when no one is asking questions....and it's YOUR thread!!

11. #11 jerry111165, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Very good advice. I keep a turkey baster next to my own seedling & clone area - I use it often and have for many years.

J

Edit: I also use my pump sprayer with wand to gently mist young plants - that works good too.

J