First attempt at this

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Lynchy1984, Nov 24, 2014.

1. #21 ChronJonDoe, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
    :eek:  Its way too early to top those babies! You should wait until the plant has some fully developed leaves, usually after the third node is a good time to top. Now the plant will be stunted for a while because there won't be any new foliage to photosynthesize. Also it is not recommended to top more than twice. 

2. Please correct my too many incorrect points , its a short post so should only take you couple mins to enlighten me with your infinite wisdom & i could possibly pick up some pointers
    This should be good!!

your teaching your guy well , he,s just topped a sprout , might as well put them in a tea cup now for whats coming.

You try help & get fried
    well on you go jorge , teach him !!

good luck Lynchy , keep your dealer handy !!

3. pmsfl thats why you put your rockwool CUBE onto a layer of pebbles , an inch to 2" below the net pot & top feed till roots protrude from nets & trust me Lynchy they reach down for the water , plus the fizzing water & humidity keeps the pebbles moist , bloody stupid putting your net pot under water with pebbles & your rockwool cube , for the reason he bloody gives you , " you,ll saturate them !!"

im outta here
    helps not needed
    cool

peace & happy next grow

4. #24 GoldGrower, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014

There is nothing to saturate if you don't use rockwool in the first place, that was the whole point

If you have your waterline too low your roots dry up and you can get this effect

[​IMG]

Not my photo btw. All you achieve is making your reservoir smaller.

This is what happens when you keep the waterline above the bottom of the net pot.

[​IMG]

this one is mine. I let the waterline fluctuate between completely brimmed to about 4" down, which is about the bottom of the pot. Do you see how the roots grow out the side of the pot? That is using the whole of the res

5. Wow that's very early to top them. I would always recommend waiting until they have 4 or 5 pairs of nodes first. But I'm sure they will bounce back. I have never seen anyone top a seedling so early so I'm very interested to see how they do. There are roots in the water so that's awesome, I suspect they will not be stunted but time will tell 

6. Holy mother of god
    Them's some roots, GG

7. Currently on day 15. I topped really early on one of my last plants and it's going to give me my best yield in soil yet. So went for the same approach with these ones.

They seem to be coming on nicely
    image.jpg

8. There's clearly nothing wrong with those. I think you may be on to something. I will try the same the next time I start seeds 

9. #29 Lynchy1984, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
    I nipped the top of when it was about 1-2mm which stunted growth a little but have started to bounce back. my best yield from soil is about 3oz and the one I topped this early is looking better.

10. very nice , could you draw back a little with your grow please , curious as to what your using ?
    obviously discreetly but can i see your container & especially what its feeding up top

very nice , perfect roots

11. #31 GoldGrower, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014

The container is a 70 litre, black RUB. It's 2'x3' and 8" tall.

This is a picture of the reservoir 

[​IMG]

Here's the top 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had over 100 of these from it 

[​IMG]

I use growth technology's ionic grow and ionic bloom. I adhere to a strict regime to keep the nutrient solution exactly the same as what the plant takes up.

Sorry about the hijacking Lynchy

12. Haha no problem goldgrower. I'm hoping to get just half your yield. My setup is almost identical to yours I think.

13. Quick update. Day 17 since sprouting
    image.jpg image.jpg

They look great man, I don't think that topping slowed them down one bit. Good colour on those leaves, what is your EC or ppm value? 

15. Ppm was 150 this morning which is how it comes from the tap. Haven't used any Neuts yet. Was planning on introducing these when my ppm starts to drop

16. Gold grower what was your yield in that system? Did you scrog? How long was your veg? I like that.

Sent from my Z796C using Grasscity Forum mobile app
    Okay I see the scrog now. My service sucks I have trouble loading pics.

Sent from my Z796C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Hey Lynchy,  New to the city, mind if I tag along on this one, I'm just starting out with my BB's and interested in how things go for you.

That's not bad practice, but because the plants are so small relative to the body of water the drop in ppm might not show up straight away. I would probably add a little nutes within a few days, bring it up to 250ppm. But many people wait, that's not bad either 

19. Thanks man, that one gave me about a pound. It was vegged for 2 months while it's predecessor flowered. It didn't need that long but I had to wait for the flowering tent to open up 

20. Yeah no problem, you got everything set up yet? What you growing?