First attempt at this

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Lynchy1984, Nov 24, 2014.

1. #1 Lynchy1984, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
    Got a few of grows under my belt, and a couple of decent ones as well as a couple of problems along the way.
    Day 1 since sprouting. They're currently in 5l pots

image.jpg
    Sorry can't get it the right way round for some reason

2. DWC? 
    How much air are you pushing? 

3. 600lph between the 2 buckets.

4. That will be ok for a while, but once the plants start to fill out the buckets they will take up so much oxygen that it will be worth buying another pump and having one for each bucket. They love that air 

5. Yeah this pumps just for the first stage of veg. In the 5l buckets

6. #7 Lynchy1984, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
    is it best to leave it in rock wool throughout the grow or remove it?

7. hey how you doing

leave them in the rockwool all the way through , its a growing medium that folk actually use instead of soil , water , with good results.
    not my preferred method but getting back to your question , yeh sound to leave it in the rockwool.

All the best & happy growing

peace

8. Thanks that's what I thought. Wasn't 100% sure though.
    Would I just transfer any clones I produce straight to clay pebbles in my dwc?

9. yeh
    transfer straight into your pebbles , making sure you,ve gave them a good wash through , dont want any algae forming from dust from your pebbles.

I am assuming the clones are rooted & have taken , yeh?
    as long as your clones have rooted well & their started showing signs of comin on then yeh transfer right into your pebbles & get the bubbler fizzing
    keep top feeding till roots start reaching down to your water level , have level around 2" away from base of net in pot & when you top feed them take out of pot then feed , therefore again no chance of any algae going to form in your pots & then put back in , repeat till roots show signs their reaching down to the water.

Rockwool is a terrible medium to have roots in when compared to clay balls. But if you have the plants in them I'm not sure how you could remove them with killing the plant.. Once they get to a certain size the rockwool poses very little threat so I wouldn't worry.

When I set up my DWC's I have the waterline about an inch up the net pot. This keeps the bottom layer of clay balls wet and the rest wick it up creating a nice damp environment for the roots to thrive. However because you have rockwool in there you need to have some roots growing out of the cube first otherwise the cube can become saturated and stop oxygen to the roots  

11. #12 Lynchy1984, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    Thanks, I'll be using clones after these so won't need rock wool again. But I currently have the water line about 1cm below the mesh pot and the rock wool is staying damp from the water slashing up from the bubbles. Roots are growing through the bottom and have a small amount in water already. They're currently on day 10 since sprouting.

With your 1.2m x 1.2 m tent do you use a separate reservoir?

12. Excellent,  sounds like things are moving along well.

I  Change my set ups a lot but usually have either a 70 litre or 145 litre reservoir. They are big enough to support enough plant to fill the tent.

The last time I used the 145 res I added an overflow pipe that led to a 35 litre reservoir outside of the tent and in that res was a 3w pump that pumped water back to the 145 litre res. This idea was to cool the water as it was a bit warm. A side effect of this was it made it a lot easier to top off, I didn't even need to open the tent. It worked pretty well 

13. These are what I'm planning on using the tote box will be my reservoir and will be stored outside the tent I do have a smaller 15l bucket available if this is more suitable.
    What the easiest way to connect them?

Attached Files:

14. That's a  proper RUB on the right isn't it? That's what I use, they are great. To connect reservoirs up most people use rubber tubing running through rubber grommets but they can leak. I prefer spending a little extra and using tank connectors, sometimes called bulkheads. These have threads and rubber washers. They tighten up and won't leak.

When connecting up reservoirs to make an RDWC there are basically two ways of arranging it. Both have their own advantages

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Thanks. The diagrams make it much easier. Which do you prefer, is on easier to manage that the other?
    Would a 3w submersible 300lph pond pump be sufficient for a 50 reservoir?

16. The 3w pump just trickled the water from my outside res to the inside but the idea was to allow the water outside too cool off. I didn't want a big pump simply warming up the water again. But a proper RDWC may require a bigger pump. You wouldn't want it blasting though so about a 6-8w pump would be about right in my opinion.

Overflow advantages.
    * if you have a leak the plant's reservoirs will stay full.
    * roots are less likely to clog pipes.
    * the waterline stays the same all of the time.

Undercurrent advantages.
    * refreshing the system is way easier.
    * the reservoir will need topping up less often.

Personally I prefer overflow, but undercurrent is more common

17. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5jSTvU78Vk

rockwools a terrible medium , really !!

Plus you put your net pot under the waterline??
    strange way too do it but everybody to their own my friend
    personally i have my net-pots around an inch - 2" away from waterline as my 2 airstones & the bubbles fizzing up from them & the humidity inside my pots is more than enough to keep my pebbles moist , ready for they roots to roam , out from my rockwool block , reaching down to my nutrient rich ph adjusted waterline , fizzing ,bubbling away (top feeding them until roots protrude from that terrible medium ,rockwool ;) ..)
    No way would i ,personally , have my nets under the waterline for a few reasons such like , your asking for an algae problem with your CLAY pebbles getting bubbled from the water , releasing loose bits of clay , gathering to form an algae
    also your wanting your roots to start reaching for the water , which they will , rather than having them sitting in water with nowhere to go & get all knotted,twisted , basically in lamens terms , strangling them , making it very hard for the root hairs to drink the water.
    Roots drink water from a network of root hairs from the top of the root caps , now if you cover these root caps by dropping your net under the waterline you,ll stop the plant up taking the amount of water it really needs due to compressing your roots that if you really look into root systems will see all these root hairs , basically their mouths , but by putting them under the waterline you not only increase chances of root problems , you,ll more than likely affect the plants overall health , growth , possibly gender!?

Sorry man , not trying to be a smart arse but if your going to give some1 advice , especially regarding their grows , make sure its spot on before giving them the go ahead !!

peace.

ps; i personally use separate buckets for my DWC , reasoning very simple , god forbid i develop any root problems , over feeding , whatever , it only effects the 1 plant therefore instead of your whole grow in trouble its not so bad just being the 1 ;)

happy growing people

18. #19 GoldGrower, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
    Too many incorrect points to go through them all so I'll just point this one out. My advice is spot on. What you wrote there is pretty much total gibberish

19. Well they're on day 11 since sprouting and have been topped this morning.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg