PyspherEs Ongoing Experiments from the Cabinet Laboratory, Botanical Table Balcony Garden

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by PsypherE, Nov 24, 2014.

That's what she said...

:bongin:

Do remember to flip 'em as fast as possible to keep them small or they'll take over your grow space. They're "Regular" seeds, but I wouldn't pop more than a couple at a time, unless you have someone to unload extra females on. Get used to the taste of Afghan hashish too, since that's the overwhelmingly dominant flavor profile, at least in the pheno I test ran.

:bongin:<span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </span></span>

3. Thanks Jerry! Yea the plan is to pop only 2 at a time from here out! Give em 1-2 weeks of veg, a quick topping and then flip em. I love a nice hashy plant! Just finished my Afghan Kush x Skunk from World of Seeds which was a really hashy plant!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

4. How do you control your PH?

Do you have any tutorials or info on setting up my first DWC run? I am flooding my brain with the basics right now. Topping, supercropping, scrogging, main-linning, nutes for soil, lighting, etc etc so I havent dedicated any time to DWC yet because I don't want to get overwhelmed. After this first grow I will get my hands wet with cloning and possibly have one DWC with 3 or 4 soil clones. I have about a month before I snip some clones from my Blue Kush. This shit is exciting.

5. #45 JerryInDFW, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015

I'm going to be honest with you and say that I'm just too damn lazy to get into typing up a bunch of basic stuff. There's my last thread where I started with DWC here: --->  http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1321186-perpetual-indoor-dwc-leds.html

Also, there's many DWC threads here on GC and online like Grow Weed Easy which  have a lot of information too. It's pretty easy to grow stuff in DWC. Just remember the cal-mag, plenty of aeration,  and a root product. I like GH ArmorSi. EVERYTHING, warts and all, are in my last thread. Avoid bombastic know-it-alls.

Good luck.

6. #46 PsypherE, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Jerry has a much bigger DWC setup than I do so his journal is a good source for DWC.

For pH I monitor using pH drops generally. I have a meter but I went a little cheap so the thing needs regular calibration and requires almost 60s to level out the reading. The drops are very cheap and fairly reliable so long as you are under white or sunlight. HPS, LED and even MH all make the colour of the solution change colour and can cause you to misread (Just ask @stankycloset he had an issue recently but was able to get it all sorted)

To adjust the pH I use pH Up & Down. I use mostly pH down though for my needs. I have a 1ml & 5ml syringe I use to measure out and add my pH adjusters.

For overall concentration of my nutrients I rely mostly on measuring syringes and then will quickly double check my final solution concentration with my ppm meter. Rarely do I need to make corrections after mixing anymore as I know roughly how much I need to add to achieve specific concentrations. This comes with time and experience.

As Jerry mentioned I would recommend using a silicate like armour si. I use pro-silicate from GroTek but it does the same thing!

Here's a quick list of need to haves, recommended to haves, and nice to haves!

Needed:
    -resivoir
    -net pot
    -high flow air stones
    -high flow air pump
    -medium (rockwool & hydroton is preferred)
    -Base nutrients
    -pH adjusters
    -pH drops/papers(litmus)
    -Measuring syringes (spoons work but are less precise especially when working with a smaller res)

Recommended:
    -Silicate additive
    -calMag (depending on base nutes these may be needed)
    -ppm meter

Nice to haves:
    -pH meter (some would say this is recommended with the ppm meter but lots of growers forgo a meter for drops/papers)
    -Organic salt processor (I use a product caller ZenZyme that breaks down and chelates unusable salts to absorbable nutrients)
    -Micro additive such as SuperThrive
    -fulvics and humics
    -bloom/PK booster

I would suggest sticking with just the need to haves and recommended to haves. As you get more familiar with DWC and Hydro you can start adding more additives and buyi g higher end tools!

Hope that helps some! There is a lot of info out there to be found! Best of luck with your growing adventure!

If your looking for ongoing help post a link to your thread/journal and I will subscribe and help you out as best I can!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

7. Yes the ph was changing colours on me when u went just from me laundry room to the kitchen. I'm assuming ones daylight and the other soft white. It was a pain in the ass and i was scratching my head till i walked out with the solution vile into the kitchen and the shot changed colours right infron of me. Lol i triped out for a few min walking back and forth.

I love the accuracy of my meter, it wasent cheep tho. I had a cheep one and it loss calibration and its a screw calibration. Very unaccruate. The new one is a two point electronic calibration. It wants 7.0 first then tells me when it wants 4.0 then tells me when its done. Very simple and easy to use.

8. I will get myself a good pH meter one of these days lol. Mine is like your cheap one with the screw adjustment and its terrible! What brand of pen did you get stanky? Maybe come bonus time in march/april I might use ~$100 or so for a new meter.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

9. Mines a Hanna. Ill get a pic for you. I could have found a better deal on the net and i did but i couldn't wait a few weeks for it. I ended up paying 140$ for it. I found the probes online for 45$ when i need a new one. At the shop they were 95$! The meter was also marked up like 30$ from the internet

I need a better one as well. After mine went off calibration, I just dont trust it even though I have decent testing buffering solutions. I don't care much more for the little test kits liquids just because of the color shift caused by various types of lights y'all mentioned. Hope I can get a decent one for less than a Ben.

:bongin:<span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"> </span></span>

11. So heres my ph pen guys. Shop around and check out reviews. Ebays spotty i have seen the same meters for a price difference of like 60-80$ and more for the same one! You'll want a two point calibration.

Attached Files:

12. Awesome! Thanks Stanky! I'll definitely look around for that meter! I don't have the money on hand currently but its definitely my next gardening purchase at this point!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

Have you had any accuracy issues using that model? There's so damn many ph meters out there, I don't know whether to shit or go blind.

14. Hey Jerry! After some research from being pissed with my cheap meter I found a few tips to look for!

1. Digital calibration
    Much easier and more accurate than manual screw calibration. They also tend to hold calibration better.

2. Automatic Temperature Adjustment
    pH can change as the temp changes but the digital metres can automatically adjust to standard temperature and pressure.

3. 2 or 3 point calibration is best. 1 point digital calibration is generally better than screw calibration but 2 and 3 point calibration is better.

Stankys meter hits all of these points! Oakton ecotstr ph2 is another good one I've heard about

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

15. #55 JerryInDFW, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015

Thanks.

Ended up ordering that HANNA INSTRUMENTS HI98128 PH METER along with a half liter of the storage solution since I was getting free expedited shipping. Looks like a PITA to maintain, but I have plenty of the correct calibration stuff in 4.01 and 7.01, so I'm good to go, or will be by the end of the week hopefully.

There's a LOT of fucking about with pricing on these things, especially when a company makes so many similar products at different price points to hit every level of buyer.

So if this thing ends up being crap, we gotta get Stanky!    :laughing:

16. Hanna is a reputable name for instruments of this nature. From what I've read its a pretty solid meter! I wish I had the money right now and I probably would have picked one up today as well lol. For now I will just have to continue mixing my nutes in the kitchen by the window. Its been working alright so far but once I have some extra cash I plan on getting a pH meter.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

17. How often do you ened to replace your pH meters? Can you just replace the electrodes?  $90 seems like a lot if you go through them fairly quickly but then again that depends on your definition of quickly. 

18. Quality Meters usually have replaceable electrodes. For a $90 meter i would expect at least a couple years between replacements. That's just speculation as I have only used cheap ones in the past but they tend to work for a few months before calibration starts to become almost impossible!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

19. #59 JerryInDFW, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
    It's the old saw of buying quality and you only cry once. I guess that's why after I downloaded and read the user manual for the one I ordered I went ahead and also bought a big bottle of the storage solution in hopes of keeping the thing happy and working. The whole package was a few pennies over $94 with shipping, but they're using some strange delivery method I've never seen before.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. If accuracy is needed calibrate it every week. The probes should last at least a year or longer with proper care. U drop it u better calibrate it. Like jerry said you get what u pay for. Cheep metres may have no calibration or screw calibration witch is very touchy.
    In my honest opinion if 100$ is to much you may need to look at a different hobby or stick with drops or paper test strips. Your gona pay the same at he end of the year roughly with strips. Not the drops tho