Can anyone help me mix my soil? This is what I have

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Grade A, Nov 24, 2014.

1. So far I have kelp meal and dolomite lime pictured below, I ordered EPsoma tomato tone, alfalfa meal crab meal, and earth worm castings I should have that next week. . I'm wondering if I can use the soil pictured below as a base soil if not I'll find something else. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416854020.273210.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416853775.642872.jpg

Also wondering if there is anything else you recommend I add? Do I need rock dust? Any help would be great as this will be my first time making my own soil.

2. I'm also getting perlite for a aeration amendment.

3. I usually just use  the soil in my garden area for the base, tilling in manure before each season. Then I mix in the stuff like dolomite lime, worm castings, perlite, and glacial dust, (read somewhere it worked better than azomite for trace minerals). The espoma line is very good; I use tomato tone during flowering and plant tone for veg. I pre work the soil and mix it months before I grow just so I know it is ready by the time I plant in late March. Looks like you are on the right track, good luck :)

4. Thanks! Its a indoor grow so I don't have any soil in my garden area lol

5. That will work fine. You won't need the lime though. Or not as much of it.

6. The Espoma line-up always lists feather meal as the first ingredient. Take a look at this material sometime. No bueno.

To the OP, I really don't see what you're plan is just yet.

1/3 spaghnum peat moss
    1/3 high quality compost and or EWC
    1/3 aeration  pumice, lava rock, perlite (perlite is least preferred)

To 1 cubic foot add a 1/2 cup of each:

Oyster shell
    Neem meal
    Kelp meal
    Crab meal

2-4 cups of rock dust

Can't find something or unsure of quality? Let me know and I'll help ya figure it out.

Are you talking feather meal sourced from industrialized/commercial poultry production, or feathers/feather meal in general?

I have a few chickens...

That Pro-Mix will be perfect as a base.

That and the lime and the kelp and the alfalfa, crab meal and tomato tone, + the perlite+ the EWC, is more than enough for your first mix.

You don't 'need' rock dust. It's nice to have, but the kelp will suffice, so don't hold up mixing and getting started over rock dust. Snag some when you can.

Get mixing!

Wet

9. Is there anything like rock dust I can use? I tried ordering some at my hydro store and they don't have any rock dust. What about azomite? Or is there something else

I get rock dust local, cost $3 for a 5 gallon bucket full, about 60lbs.

If you are intent on shipping stuff, get the Azomite. Very little is needed in a mix. I pay to have that shipped. I would never pay to have rock dust shipped, just not enough benefit compared to Azomite.

Be prepared for the "aluminum in Azomite" outcry, just do a little research before you hop on any bandwagon. Just a heads up on that.

Wet

11. Oh, if you are going to do organics, avoid the hydro store and start to frequent Seed&Feed type places. That's where the goodies will be.

Wet

12. What exactly is rock dust? Lol. Is there different kinds or is rock dust just rock dust?

There are different kinds, just like there are different rocks. Basalt is supposedly supreme, but all I can source locally is granite dust and I'm fine with that. Basalt isn't so supreme that I'll spend $60 for what locally is $3. Rock dust isn't just rock dust, but almost.

Azomite is something else again, and I use it along with the granite dust. But, I wouldn't use granite meal (dust), in place of Azomite. Or any rock dust for that matter. Kelp meal comes close though.

Wet

14. All in all, for your first mix, forget the rock dust and the Azomite. The kelp meal will provide all the micros you need and you can research and get into this other stuff a bit down the road.

What you first posted was fine, don't start over thinking it by reading stuff. It will all come in the fullness of time and growing.

Wet

15. #17 Grade A, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    Ok so if I get the pro mix for a base soil its 3.8 cubic ft so I would mix that with 3.8 cubic feet of perlite or other aeration and 3.8 cubic feet of ewc? Then I would add 1.9 cups each of kelp meal, crab meal,? I wont have been meal or oyster shell but I'll have alfalfa meal. Should I do 1.9 cups of that as well? I will also have tomato tone .and dolomite lime.. Still trying to get a hold of some rock dust

Thanks!

16. Thank you! I feel like this whole thing is going to be much easier than I thought thanks to the help of you and everyone else here!

17. Here is the CoA for Azomite. http://www.azomite.com/resources/coa.pdf

I don't like the aluminum, lithium, or flourine levels in this product. I also don't like the marketing behind it either.

As an organic gardener the most important thing that you can do is to mix the best soil that you possibly can. The compost/EWC portion is the most critical part. Cutting corners or thinking it's good enough for your first time is a recipe for disaster. You should take take the time to source all materials necessary to do this.

You should be able to find a bale of peat moss at Lowes or HD. Should be able to find some Ag lime or gypsum here as well. You can replace neem w/ alfalfa. You could use dolomite, although I'm not a big fan. Check out rockdustlocal.com.  Let me know how it goes.

18. #20 Grade A, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    http://www.rockdustlocal.com/store.html?m

Would I get the microfines gradation? It or the one that's got little chunks and is less powdery. If I grabbed ag lime or gypsum would that replace the dolomite? I already have the dolomite but if there is something r better I would prefer to go with it

Also would the peat moss make a better base soil then the pro mix i pictured above?