First Grow - Northern Lights - 600w - 3x3 Grow Tent

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Distrex, Nov 24, 2014.

1. #161 HTownBudz, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
    Looking good man!! You could take them now, or wait another couple days till they amber up more. I like mine where yours are now, at the peak of potency.

2. That's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking of pulling the 2f2v out right before lights out and giving her a day or so of dark. I've heard some pretty good things about a little extra dark time right before you chop.

Hey Distrex.  What's Shakin'?  Nice looking POlants man!  What strains are they again?

I just took a few days off from GC.  I got a bunch of things done in the boxes though.  

About the ability to look at a plant and tell weather it's ready or not.  It's a learned skill to be sure, but even experienced growers need to know what they are looking for to begin with.  WHat I mean is that every strain has different markers that will tell you when to harvest.  Trichrome color ratio, for example, is different on each strain.  Some are mostly amber, some are mostly cloudy, but most are somewhere in between.  It's also a preference thing.  IMHO there is a 10 day window at harvest time.  Buds harvested earlier will have a more uplifting effect whereas buds harvested later will be more sedative, generally speaking.  Now some strains are gonna sink you into your couch weather you harvest on day 56 or on day 63.  I'm gonna try hrvesting some buds at the beginning of the "Harvest window" and some at the end and do a smoke report.  Should be interesting.  Gotta wait a couple months though.  

Yeah, make sure you add the surfacant to the water before the neem.  Otherwise the neem will glob up before the emulsifier has a chance.

I grow flowers because I love gardening.  The act of putting your hands in the earth and becoming more a part of it.=) :hello:
    I can't explain it but I can't see myself doing anything else.  It's a passion!  I love to mix and build soil, I love to spawn life and I love to grow along side that life.  I love looking upon the yard in july and marvelling at what was just a handfull of tiny seeds only a few months.  I am just at my best in the garden.  

I would grow vegetables but the yard doesn'y get enough sun.  I live on the side of a mountain valley.  I am helping my buddy "kootsrzo" build a couple raised gardens to grow veggies.  So I am growing veggies, just not in my yard.  Other than that, I'm looking for other medicinal plants that may be effective in the treatment of the symtoms associated with arthritis.  I also Really want to keep bees!

Well, I should get to work on my update.  Should be a lrge onw since I missed week 12 update.

Take it easy,

Plaid

I'm doing pretty fantastic.  The little autoflower that I've been posting on is a 2 Fast 2 Vast from Heavyweight. It's a cross between their fast & vast (afghani x skunk x white dwarf) and a NL's autoflower.  The other two are Norhtern Lights from 00 Seeds.  My wife isn't the biggest fan of the heady high part of sativas so I'm going to try and find some tasty indicas for her.

As you said, knowing when a plant is done just by the look/smell/whatever is something that comes in time.  I'll probably play around with harvesting depending on the trichomes for a while.

I know what you mean about gardening.  It's hard to not, once you finally see the fruit of your labor.  Mine has always been the tasty food that I can make from the harvest.  But I can see the appeal with beautiful flowers as well.  It sounds like you are getting pretty heavy into medicinals as well.  I"m sure there will be tons of herbs/flowers that you will be able to grow to add in to that as well.  I've been staying up with your journal as well, there is plenty of great information in there for that side of things.  I would love to get more into that as well.  There are just so many benefits that good plants can add to your life.  One of my favorite things from my harden last year was some plain old mint tea.  It was a french mint that I got from one of my CSA's and I drank it pretty much every night it was growing.  

5. So yesterday was a great day :D  It was harvest day for the little autoflower!

So right before lights came on, I pulled the 2f2v out and chopped it at the base.  It was the start of the 82nd day.  I started to have right around 20-25% of the trichomes were getting amber and I couldn't find any clear trichomes.  I figured that's as good of time as any to take her down.  

20150305_165519_1.jpg

After I chopped her down I went through and took of most of the large fan leaves.  I tried not to disturbed the actual buds too much and just snipped of the leaves that were sticking out past the flower sites.  Once all this was done I threw her on the scale real quick.  So the initial wet weight was 44.44 grams.  I read around a little bit and saw people saying anywhere from 20-30% is what people can expect as the dry weight.  If that is the case, I should be able to have just under 1/2 oz, which seems like a pretty decent yield for my first harvest, especially considering it was an autoflower.

20150305_171759_1.jpg 20150305_171811_1.jpg

I cleared out a little space in the closet that I have the tent in to use as my drying space for this harvest.  I tossed all the fan leaves and trimmings into a paper sack with some shredded up strips.  There were a couple tiny little bud branches that I threw in as well.  I figure I'll dry those all out and freeze them so I can do a qwiso or bubble hash run down the road.  

20150305_171904_1.jpg

She's been in the closet about 20 hrs now.  The temperature in there is in the high 60's and the humidity is a little low in the mid 30%.  I'll be checking on here every so often, but I figure she'll be in there for probably 5ish days.  Once the little bud stems snap I'll do a proper trim and throw them into a jar with a boveda 62 pouch thrown in.  I figure I'll still burb it every so often but the pouches should make it hard for me to mess up.  Haha.

For the NL's, I swapped out the MH for the HPS light. I've heard some pretty good things about putting them into a longer dark period when switching to 12/12 so I figure I'll give that a shot.  Probably only 24 hrs of dark, then I'll kick on the HPS.  They are both still looking pretty healthy.  I can't wait to see how they do in flower now :D

6. Feels good huh??

7. Damn right! :D

I sneak a peak every once and while. The leaves are starting to droop and things are drying up in the closet. I figure under half an ounce of delicious bud is a fantastic payoff for all the reading and research. Plus the whole thing has been fun. I'm definitely hooked. And don't plan on leaving GC anytime soon.

All you guys have been a huge help in getting me successfully to my first chop. Many thanks to you all. A couple more months and my first official grow will be done. Still can't wait for the first puffs :D

8. Just let it dry. Forget about it. Come back in a week.

9. That's more or less what I'd like to do. With this being the first time I've dried my own bud, I'll need to peak in occasionally so I can learn what things look like through each step. But I don't plan on doing anything other than looking for a few days.

Today is also the first day of 12/12 hps light for the two NLs ladies. That light sure does kick out a LOT more yellowish light than the mh. That might take a minute to get used to. I have some blue tinted safety glasses at work, I might grab those and see how they make it look.

Attached Files:

10. #170 Deez Trees, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
    Looking good man! I did my first chop and I started slowly taking the top buds allowing more light to the plant every week. I did this for over three weeks. You can really tell the different high levels. Plus this is before I ordered my handheld microscope from Radio Shack. I'm glad I have it since I have another harvest coming soon. They are pretty cheap you should probably get one when you can. I also got those Boveda packs 62%....Awesome!

I def could have waited but heck its my first grow, got more plants on the way to harvest and five seeds on deck....I FREAKING COULDN'T WAIT! I DON'T BLAME YOU MATE! Enjoy the fruits of you labor mate!!

PS. Hope the Mrs ankle is feeling better.

Cheers!

Yeah man.  I think if you harvest some off each plant say on day 53, day 58, and day 63 and see what you think.  SOme people prefer some strains a little early or late, just preference.  There's also the fact that the langer you let a plantr go past it'd "ideal" harvest time will give you higher levels or CBD. CBG, and probably a bunch of other compounds as the THC degrades.  This will produce orange thrichromes(very generally).  The earlier harvested stuff will probably have more cloudy trichromes.  

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Goodnight,

Plaid

12. I've seen a few people doing the same thing.  It seems like a good way to sample the same plant at different done-ness levels.  I'll most likely do that on my next harvest. I have a little jewleres loup that works great for me to look at the plant, but it isn't the best for trying to get trichome pictures up on here.  I may just grab one of those USB Microscopes, or finally look for my DSLR's charge so I can use my macro lens.

Haha, I know what you mean.  It took a lot to wait until I had plenty of amber trichomes.  But I think it was worth it.

Her ankle's doing great now.  She's been back skating for a while, kicking ass!

I think that is going to be the best way to learn when a particular strain likes to get harvested.  I'm definitely going to give it a shot when I pull down the NL's.

Hope you guys enjoy the next couple months of flower for the NL's.  :D

13. Today was another big day [​IMG]
    I've been checking on the drying autoflower.  Today was the day to do a proper trim.  I tried bending the smaller stems and they had a snap to them.  So I broke out the little clippers and went to them.  I ended up with a little less than what I had calculated earlier, that's mostly because I didn't do much trimming before they dried.  I think because of that I over estimated how I could have gotten.  But As you can see, I got just over 5.5g of bud. And I got just over 13g of trim.  

20150312_171558_1.jpg 20150312_171606_1.jpg 20150312_171617_1.jpg 20150312_171840_1.jpg

The smell of this 2F2V during flower was pretty mild.  It was a little earthy and funky, but still had a little fruity aroma to it as well.  When I started trimming up the buds, you could really smell it's true colors shining through.  It had that earthyness to it still, but a lot more dank fruity herbiness to it.

The buds go thrown into a mason jar with a Boveda 62 pack.  I have already burped it once, and have noticed an improvement in aroma since it has been in the jar.  The trim got thrown into a zip lock freezer bag and put in the back of the freezer.  I plan on saving all of this tll the end of the entire grow.  Once I have my NL's down as well I'll try my hand at making some QWISO.

I haven't tried a any of it yet, but plan to tomorrow.  So stay tuned for my first smoke report, of my very first harvest [​IMG]

14. I know I haven't gotten a picture of the NL's up in a little while. My phones battery just didn't want to work with me last night. But I grabbed a few tonight. Everything is so much more yellow under this hps. I need to get a white light to put on there when I'm taking some pics.

Everything is looking pretty good though still. I opened up the LSTed lady a little bit. Pulled a few if the branches apart to let more light get down in. I haven't done much at all to the topped plant. They are both growing pretty good and stretching out a bit.

I'll probably give them another tea in a couple weeks. But other than that there's not much more I think I should do but kick back and watch them grow.

Attached Files:

15. Looking good man, coming right along.

16. Looking good in your tent my man!!

17. Thanks a lot :D

Thank you very much.

There are going to be some pretty big changes and improvements in my next grow. So I'm really glad things have worked out pretty well for my first grow.

I've started looking into some things that I know I can improve on. I'll be making some changes to my soil, my equipment, and the way I go about training. So my next grow should be pretty interesting.

18. #178 PlaidBeeSmokin', Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015

Hey man, Good Morning.  

You ladies are looking fabulous!  Those trichs are so cloudy!  IMO you still have at least a week or two.  Personally, I wouldn't dare chop her yet.  I'd wait a week at least.  The fan leaves are still really green suggesting that the final phase of flowering is still to come.  They won't get a lot larger, but they will get heavier and stickier.  

I tried that once.  It didn't seem to work.  It seemed to give them some shade from the lights actually.  Neem and Molasses seems to work for me.  Black Strap Molasses is a decent pest deterrent.  Also, Silica may be worth a try.  Potassium Silicate in liquid form and the neem and BSM keeps them at bay in my garden.  

I hear that.  For my next run after these ladies finish I'm aiming for 3 plants or so, Vegged out under a tiltedf screen like I had planned for the first run.  It would have taken another month or so to do that and I need smoke.  So I have almost 3 months to veg. the Jack Herer and the Kush x SK1, and a Hash Plant cloneright to where I'd like them.  
    Also Having learned a little more about what works and what doesn't work in terms of growing in a small space, and not having to enter flowering early, the second run should be way smoother.  
    Just workin' out the kinks in a new system.

Anyways, Good Morning, 

Have an awesome day brother Distrex,

Plaid

I think you were right.  I probably should have let it go a little while longer.  However, when I did end up chopping I was about 40%-ish amber.  But The buds didn't have a whole lot of bulk to them.  As others have pointed out, it seems like the autoflowers just don't have the same requirements as the photos.  Either way the smoke is pretty good.  I've sampled a few little bowls while it has been curing.  I haven't posted up a proper smoke reports as it is still pretty fresh and I don't think it would be fair.

The smell is really starting to come along with the harvested autoflower.  I have everything in a mason jar with the boveda 62 pack in there.  I do open it up a couple times a day (have gone down to once a day now).  It started out pretty mild and grassy smelling.  It has definitely bumped up a notch in aroma.  The grassy notes have gone down a lot.  I'm still getting some piney diesel smell, but it is pretty great.  

Yeah, it worked pretty good for me for a while.  It did knock down the adult population for about a week.  But they are back in full force now.  So I don't think it is very helpful. I did pick up some neem oil.  But they are in flower right now and I don't really want to go spraying a bunch of stuff on them.

I have my veggie starts in another room under a T5 light.  They are in some lightly amended HF soil (The same bag that I started my mix with).  The gnats were getting a little thick in there too.  They got the first spray of neem oil.  I just put a little bit in my spray bottle and shook the hell out of it.  Sprayed them twice yesterday and once today.  Maybe it's just me being hopeful, but I didn't see any gnats flying around in there at all today.  So far, in my book, neem kicks ass!

Those tilted screens do look like pretty slick idea.  Seems like it should do a good job keeping the canopy "even", at least as far as the lighting is concerned.  I think the learning and figuring things out is half of what I enjoy so much about growing.  I've changed a lot of what I first thought about growing.  Found some things that work, some things that don't, and some things that I really like to do in the grow.  I can't wait to see what we both start to get now that we are starting to figure this whole thing out (at least a little bit more).

Thank you for stopping in.  It's always enjoyable and enlightening.  

You as well my friend :D

20. #180 v_rude, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    I too have some new plans for my next run (second run)... I just ordered a second tent to be my veg tent so I can work towards a perpetual system.

I'm also pretty damn sure I'm gunna rig up my flower tent to be a giant ghetto sip tray .. With the perlite and water at the bottom so I can let the plants water themselves.

I'm getting my second tent and another light this coming week.. Then gunna start vegging up some more flavors to get ready for the next chop. My two lemon Thai x bubba kush clones will be done in about 4-7 weeks? they just starting their third week flowering LOL 1426825250073.jpg 1426825266431.jpg 1426825319291.jpg 1426825328436.jpg

Attached Files: