First Grow - Northern Lights - 600w - 3x3 Grow Tent

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Distrex, Nov 24, 2014.

Thanks for the compliment :D
    I'll definitely swing by.  Takes a while getting through all the great information on here, haha
    That's crazy.  I haven't seen anything else recommending a light schedule that low for an autoflower.  Everything I've seen, says/shows that an 18/6 light is probably best.  I'll have to look into it :D

That seems so crazy to me.  What cause photoperiod plants to start budding is a homone change cause by a molecule buidling up during the dark period (Ie it is broken down during light and builds up during lights off).The autoflowers have overcome this by budding as soon as they are ready to, regardless of your light period.  Where I get lost is how if the plant is already flowering, why would decreasing the light/energy to it gets increase yield.  I'll have to go look around and do some more reading on that :D

That's kinda what I had heard.  But I know I didn't read as much about autoflowers as I could have.  I spent most of my reading time on the photos.  I could easily have missed it.

2. Only speaking from experience.
    I kinda believe nothing I read unless it has PH.D. at the end. Even then I question it.

3. #143 v_rude, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    How's the AUTO brother?

You switch it to 12/12 yet???

Hahaha jk :p:p B)

I have never heard of anyone growing autos under photoperiod conditions... Why even breed the ruderalis into the mix at all then?

Then again MUCH crazier things have been proven true.. Really only way to test is same strain same conditions different light schedules. Maybe one day!!

4. Feelin a couple jabs here so here you go.
    12/12 whole flower WW auto WP_20150207_16_27_44_Pro.jpg
    I tested the same strain under three different light schedules.

5. No jabs brother... ALL Love on this end.

Would love to see the journal thread for this 3-way light schedule Auto test grow. Very interested plz link me.

I may need to purchase these Auto WW's to have in case I ever have extra space in flowering tent in future.
    Like I said earlier, I have never heard of 12/12 for autos.. But much crazier things have been proven!
    Much love.

6. It's in my SIG.
    First one 18/6 whole grow
    Second one 18/6 then 12/12 late flower
    Third one 18/6 then 12/12 on flower

The one 12/12 on flower also took longer.

If I were to grow an auto again (I am but 12/12 whole grow this time) I would do 18/6 and switch to 12/12 on flower. I'd also start feeding at three weeks and switch to heavy bloom food at 8 weeks.

It hard to truly do this experiment without proper phenos which I think would be hard to get from the method used in creating the auto.
    I've planted multiple strains from the same source and they are all different.
    Good growing. One love.

7. Much love + Respect sent your way.. I plan on reading through and educating myself today. Seems so odd to me! 1 love

8. Hey man im from louisiana you should message me

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Yeah, I didn't mean any disrespect. Just never seen anything positive about using a 12/12 for autos.

Not a whole lot new to report on the 3 little ladies. Everything seems to be going pretty smooth now.

The nls are looking pretty good. I had a couple leaves down on the bottom that had gotten a little yellow. I plucked then off. Not worried about them as 90% of the growth looks great and the new growth is still looking great.

The autoflower is still doing great. It's getting frostier and frostier almost every day. It looks like it still had a while left. Looks like heavyweight underestimated the flowering time a good bit. I'll just keep an eye on here and wait till she's ready.

As soon as the 2f2v is chopped I'll be able to switch the nls to12/12. I'm really looking forward to that. Right now the nls are about 18" high. So if they double they should still finish up right around 3', maybe a little more. But that's just about perfect for my setup.

I want to go check out some other people's NL grows. That way I can get a better idea as to the amount of stretch and possible ideas as to yield amounts.

Attached Files:

10. #150 v_rude, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015

Looking PRETTY AWESOME Bro!

Hahah i feel you on the exaggerated flowering times, Seems a LOT of the seed companies exaggerate them a bit to the short side.

From what i know (very little) NL is around a 10 week finisher.
    And i believe the Heavy INDICA rule of thumb is girls will double in size thru flower.

11. Just checking out your grow man! Looks great! Makes me want to buy a bigger tent and get more ladies going ! Cant wait to see the harvest!

12. Yeah I'm definitely seeing that, in my grow and others. I would love to know what criteria they use (if any) to come up with their flowering times.

That's the rule of thumb I'm going on right now. But some strain specifics would be good too. I usually try and get my hands on as much information as I can. Granted, some times I get a little antsy and get ahead if my self, but still. Haha

Thanks for stopping by. I alwayd enjoy the company :D

The tent I got was an apollo brand. I either got it off of amazing or ebay (not sure off the top of my head and I'm only on my phone now). It 2nd pretty cheap right around $100. It's been fantastic so far. If I can talk the wife into when we buy our next house, I wanna setup a full on grow room :D

Let's see how well that goes over. Hahaha

13. Yeah the thing about cannabis is the buds will tell you when they are ready!

Just get a 60x-100x LED microscrope to analyze the trichs :metal: :metal: :metal:

14. #154 Distrex, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    The biggest thing I have to report on the tent today, is fungus gnats. :(

I've always had one or two flying around, but it wasn't something that bothered me. But that number is starting to grow. I think it's time for me to finally add some neem into my grow. I'm not sure if I want to do neem meal or neem oil. I guess a little more reading is in order before I head to home depot, or jump on amazon.

I do have a new little toy to play with though. Spring is coming in full force up here in Portland and its getting closer and closer to time to put the veggie garden in. I picked up a cheap 2', 4 light t5 light. I figured this would be perfect for either starting a bunch if seeds, or vegging some clones.

I've got 4 different types of tomatoes that i harvested seeds from last year. A few bell peppers, a few hot pepper, and some herbs. I'll have more starting to germinate over the next couple days.

My wife and I also hit up the Chinese Garden here in portland. Plenty of the springs first buds are starting to bloom. We had a few different old forest teas and some delicious steamed buns and booked egg.

I spent a couple months in China for work, and the little tea shop here ABSOLUTELY reminded me of China. Good times! I'll definitely be back throughout the seasons.

Attached Files:

15. #155 PlaidBeeSmokin', Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015

Dude, I had problems with gnats myself.  When I started doing a neem foliar spray every week, they cleared right up.  They do not like the stuff, lol.  The other thing is the plants LOVE the neem.  Foliar spray in general is a great Idea in veg.  Kelp extract of fulvic acid or just water.  The leaves absorb nutrients 10-20 times faster than roots can so it's a great way to fix deficiency issues without having to water plant that doesn't need it.  
    Just speaking from experience here, but weekly applications of neem have completely eliminated any insect problems I've had so far.  Not just eliminated either, neem keeps those buggers away!  I have found that for me at least, prevention is the key.  Plus, if you're not firmiliar with it, you will Love the results foliar spray can provide.  

I'm stoked to see your cloning in perilite working so well for you.  It's great to see someone else that can't wait to get out in the garden.  I'm just germinating a wole bunch of flowers for the yard.  I'm building some new flower beds this spring and the soil in the existing gardens is gonna be sublime!  
    Your yard is spectacular!  Really really nice man.  nice oriental feel to it.  I hope you'll post some pics of it this summer in full bloom.  That would be great!

I refer to the flowering times provided as estimates.  Different Phenos within the same strain can have differing harvest times by one to two weeks.  Plus quality and quantity of light, nutes, and temp/humidity all play a role as well.  I just watch the buds.  Some people like to use a 30-60x magnifier to check trichromes.  I never have but I take macro pics and blow them up to check trichs.  Other people just judge by a combination of smell, appearence, and feel/weight.  
    Good seed companies will provide you with information regarding harvest times, what to look for, different phenos, and other more detailed information not found on thier webpage.  Some do not and that makes me suspicious of the source of thier stock.  

Anyways, take care man,

Plaid

16. #156 Distrex, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    Thanks for dropping by :D

Yeah I've heard nothing but great things about the oil and the meal. My next soil mix will definitely have some.neem meal mixed in. I'll be headed to home depot in the next couple hours to pickup some oil. Gotta get rid of those little bastards. Haha

Yeah, I've always had a garden. Even when I was in the Navy in base housing, I got in trouble for breaking ground to put a garden in. Haha.

What all do you have in your garden Usually?

I wish that was of my yard! There's a garden/tea house that people can visit in down town portland. My wife and I wandered around for a while then grabbed some tea and snacks.

You make a good point about harvest times. What I'm doing now is paying closer attention to the trichomes. I figure that's an easier more fool proof way. While I'm looking at the trichomes I'm paying close attention to the way the plant looks and smells as well.

Just make sure you use a surfacant that will emulsify the neem oil and the water.  It doesn't mix too well with water alone; most of It will just collect around the edge of the container used at the water level.   Even with an emulsifier it has to be stirred and/or shaken every 30 seconds-min. to keep it mixed.   
    I Love the smell though.  I don't know how to explain it other than really good.   :confused_2:

Yeah, you really can't go wrong with trichs.  Esspecially if you can find out what the "true" harvest characteristics are, ie;thrichromes. 
    Some strains that are not stablized can have 4 phenotypes and only a 2 in 10 chance of getting the sought after representation of the strain.  
    That said, I've not yet gotten specific info like that from any company.  I tried to get specific strain info regarding phenotypes, the strains preferences like temp., Rh, etc.  They tell me that they are sorry that they cannot supply me with such information.  Followed by them telling me that they are THE ONLY seed company to test for both THC and CBD.  lol, What?  I sent a letter back asking them if they were kidding.  I told them that of course there were a number of companies that test for up to 9 cannabinoids and 20 or so terpenes.  
    So now I'm not sure what to think about Crop King seeds.  Anyone here have any experience with them?

Ussually flowers, lots of flowers.  I've just been here for the second summer so this year I'm trying to get more perenials and shrubs/ornamental trees planted.  
    I'm staring a bunch of stuff.  Here's what I should have to plant in may;

Perenials;  Malva, Gaillardia, lupins, ornamental corn, pampas grass
    Annuals; Sunflower poppies, alyssum, nemophila, african daisy, nasturtiums, and good 'ol marigolds, my favorite annual!

There is Hostas, Callendula, in the raised bed center garden, the rest is for me to create.  Some other nice plants in the yard are; Rottodhendrons, a chineese maple, and lilacs.  

I'm trying to get more perennials but not too many.  I like having a few perennials in a garden to work around so I get to Create something new every year!  I love planning and building a garden space.  I'm building two new gardens in the yard; one border flower bed(raised w/ 2x12's), and another is kind of an area garden.  There is a corner of the yard with the lilacs and the chineese maple that would be perfect for an area for ornamental grasses and rocks.  perhaps a trickle pond?  It's in the shade most of the day=)

Anyways, as you can see, I've got some plans, lol.  Just a few.  Just thinkin' about it I need to go burn one down, ha.  :bongin:

How about you?

Plaid

18. #158 Distrex, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015

Thanks for the tip.  I doubt I would have thought of that.  I'll just make sure to shake the hell out of it, too :D

That's what I figured.  I know there are plenty of guys/gals out there that could just peak in my tent and tell me exactly when to pull everything, I'm just not there yet.  

That's pretty crazy.  Pretty much every seed I've seen out there has at least a THC%.  I've heard there were/are a few sleazy breeders out there.  I've heard great things about OregoneGreenSeed.com, and they are right here in Oregon.  I plan on checking them out for my next seed purchase.  I'm planning on doing some of my own breeding here soon.   If for nothing else, then to build up a good seed collection.

I'm more of a fruit and vegetable kinda guy.  I didn't know even half of all those types of flowers, haha.  I had to spend a while googling them all to even know what to imagine.   :D

There are certainly some very pretty flowers in there, and it sounds like the layout you are going with this season sounds beautiful.  What is it that draws you to planting flowers?  More interested in the aesthetics of the garden in the ground (like the victorian gardens) or are you more interested in the harvested flowers for floral arrangements?

I don't have a whole lot in my garden at the moment, but the season hasn't really started yet.  My plum tree in the front yard is starting to get its blosoms already this year.  It has some beautiful pink flowers.  The plum tree in the back is a different breed and hasn't done much yet.  The black berries in the back yard are starting to come back to life also.  I still have some rosemary, mints, and thyme that made it through the winter.  Just the other day I planted a few tomatoes, some bell peppers, and some herbs.

i've got a spot that is about 9x25 for veggies, a 5x9 spot for herbs, and I'm going to till up a 5x5 plot to grow the three sisters for the first time this year.  For anyone not familiar, the three sisters are corn, squash and peas/beans.  They all three complement each other well.  The corn is a trellis for the peas/beans, the squash is a living mulch for the corn, and the peas/beans can help fix nitrogen.

19. Hey everybody :D

Things are still looking great. I mentioned that I put some perlite in top if you soil, as a mulch, to try and stop the fungus gnats that have been buzzing around. I haven't done anything else, no sprays or remedies, and the gnat population had dropped back down. So that's good :D

The only issues is that I topped up my sip trays, gave a the nls a tea, and put the perlite mulch on all around the same time. This caused a little but of over watering. Not terrible, but the leaves did droop just a little bit. It took a couple days but they have perked back up.

The little autoflower is still kicking on. Today is day 80 from germination and I'm still not at a 50/50 mix for the trichomes yet. There is starting to be more and more amber trichomes but it's not where I would like just yet. Everything I've read says it's super common for first time growers to chop to early so I'm really trying to stick to the 50/50. I figure doing that is a lot less subjective and is a good benchmark to shoot for on my first time growing that strain. Next time I can pull earlier or later depending on how I like it.

I'm really hoping that it'll be ready this weekend, I'd love to flip the nls to 12/12 and throw my hps light up.

I've been doing more and more reading on geurilla grows. My wife broke her leg last year playing roller derby. She's all better now, finally doesn't have a limp or anything any more. So she is wanting to get out and do some hiking/camping again. So ill be out in the woods any way. I figure i can use this summer to scout out some good spots and maybe start packing in some soil, amendments, and tools. That way next season I'll have everything ready to roll and can just throw a few plants in the ground.

I would love to find a place around town-ish that would be good. I live in one if the suburbs of portland, so I'm sure if I look around enough I can find a great spot. But, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

20. Here's a few shots of the ladies before I head off to bed. They are still looking pretty good. Like I said earlier, the NL's are still bouncing back from a little bit of over watering from the other day.

I'm really ready to flip to 12 / 12 but I'd hate to shirt the 2f2v. While it looks like most if the trichomes are cloudy, there's still not enough amber ones in there yet.

Attached Files: