First Grow - Northern Lights - 600w - 3x3 Grow Tent

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Distrex, Nov 24, 2014.

1. 25% humidity. Buy a humidifier.

2. The weather around here just really started to freeze. Humidity has dropped pretty quickly. I'm going to try put a container with water in the tent first. If that doesn't help enough then I'll have to grab a dehumidifier.

I was thinking about doing one of the perlite bottom sip setups I've seen on here. That could certainly help with the humidity as well.

3. Buy a humidifier not a dehumidifier.

4. Yeah, good catch. I must have mistyped.

5. Day 18
    I've been making sure that I water the pots a lot less than what I was doing before. It certainly seems to have made a difference. The leaves have been looking a little perkier. So that's good.

The weather around here has been pretty dry and below freezing so I've still been having a couple issues with my humidity.

I went ahead and transplanted them today into the 3 gallon smart pots that they'll be spending the rest of their time in. I probably good gave gone a while longer before transplanting. The root balls weren't as big as I've seen others, but that shouldn't hurt things too bad. I made sure that I hurried the stems a good bit. I gave them a decent watering and a foliar spray. Lights will be kicking off here in about an hour so fingers crossed they look good once they wake back up.

Attached Files:

6. I've also mixed up a little ewc slurry. I haven't gotten the equipment to make up a proper tea brewer, but figured I'd give it a whirl.

I mixed a little over a cup of ewc and topped up the 1/2 gallon container with declorinated water. I stirred it up well and plan on doing so every few hours until tomorrow.

7. Day 21
    It's been 3 days since I transplanted the two little ladies to their 3 gal smart pots... and they are looking great. I got a pretty good growth spurt and the added moisture from the pots has helped kick my humidity up a good bit. My temperatures are doing pretty good too. They are maxing out at about 82 and dipping down to about 68. So that's been great.

The soil is still pretty moist so I'm going to have to be really careful not to overwater. My mix has a pretty good amount of perlite and vermiculite in it so it shouldn't really be too bad.

Here's a couple pics, they're looking pretty good to me.

Attached Files:

8. A lil bit overwatering but thats looking good man. Keep posting up. I have the same starting time as yours and mines doing great. Its also Northern Lights seed from Nirvana bank. Gonna sub in and see how it goes. Peace! :)

9. Wow! Look at your girls. They are looking great! I'm really taking notice of your techniques!!! Those clones are freaking awesome :bongin: :bongin:

Just wondering if you were ever able to get the humidity up? I totally feel your pain regarding the "low humidity blues"!! Been struggling for weeks with so I decided to bog down and get a humidifier. If you can afford one....get one. If you can't (because growing is costly) make that your next goal:)

You're doing great. I look forward to seeing your results :hello: :hello: :hello:

10. Thanks man I really appreciate it. I hope the whole grow can go this smooth

When I transplanted to the smart pots, that helped bring the humidity up a good bit. It was at about 30-35. I've also just popped a couple autoflowers seeds into their 3 gal smart pots in the tent. With all four pots in there now my humidity is between 35-45 now. It's not ideally where I would like it, though.

I do want to try doing one of the perlite sip pots. I think that could really help with my humidity levels too.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a humidifier though.

11. Day 27:
    So everything seems to be going pretty well still.  I've had some pretty decent growth in the last few days.  My 5 point leaves are finally coming in on both plants.  I think I'll be able to top one of the plants in the next couples days, and the other a couple days after that.  I plan on either topping just the once, or either one more time after that.  I haven't really decided yet.  But I do plan on doing some LST as well.  

20141214_103940_1.jpg
    20141214_103948_1.jpg
    20141214_104255_1.jpg
    20141214_104304_1.jpg

I dropped a couple Auto flower seeds the other day, some Heavyweigh 2 fast 2 vast.  Which has a harvest time of about 8 weeks.  So they should be harvest a little after I originally wanted to flip these norther lights to 12/12, but waiting an extra week or two should really have any affect on them, at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Yeah, i've been working pretty hard to make sure I don't over water.  It's super easy when you don't normally grow anything indoors.  I've grown outdoors for years, but this is a whole new bag.  It'll be pretty nice to have someone growing the same things around the same time to kinda of compare the grows.

12. Yeah man. I know that feel bro. I stay and sleep with the plants. I got few probems with my plants like some kind of deff i couldn't figure out. So i flushed and its looking good now. When do you plant to harvest?

13. I went with an all organic water only mix, so hopefully I won't run into any issues with nutes. But we'll see

NLs has a flower period of about 50 days, according to herbies. So I should be harvesting in about 3.5 to 4 months. But, that may change depending on their size and how much they grow. If they start to grow faster than I'm anticipating, I'll have to figure out something else for the autos and flip these ladies early.

14. Organic is good. I'll try it next grow. Do you plant to ScroG your plants? Im in my DIY cab now, maybe upgrade to 3x3 tent and 600w light next grow when i experiment with this one well. Hopefully 2oz/plant.

15. I originally was tossing around the idea of doing a scrog. But I figured for my first grow I'd just stick to lst and topping. I'm pretty sure I'll give scrog a shot next time though.

That's what I'm growing in now. 3x3 tent with a 600w mh in right now. I'm hoping for somewhere around that yield as well. I know a lot of others could pull a ton more, but 4 ozs between the two would be pretty good start

16. Thats why im going ScroG to get the best yeild, but the veg time could be extended longer. What brand of your tent and light, may I ask?

17. I'm hoping that with topping a time or two and doing some lst I'll be able to get some good yield as well.

The light is a 600w ipower. It's a dimmable ballast that can handle mh and hps bulbs. I've got it in 6" cooltube.

The tent is a 3'x3' apollo tent.

18. Cool man. Gonna upgrade soon. Im in love with this shit. :))

19. So I'm finally starting to see some of my first big issues, or at least it seems that way to me.

The two lowest leaves on both plants are starting to get a little yellow and droopy.

Looking around a little bit it seems like that's a possible outcome of over watering. I'm not sure how it's from over watering. I've been sticking my finger a couple inches down in the pots and waiting till its pretty dry before I water.

I've seen others say that something like this could be from nut burn, I'm hoping Thays not the case since I haven't added anything yet and have an organic water only soil mix.

I've also read others saying that it is normal for the lower growth to do that and as long as the new leaves and growth still look good, then it's no issue.

I've upload the pictures of both plants.

It's about time for me to do my first top, but I wanted to wait till I got this issue resolved before doing anything further to them. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

20. After looking around and doing some searching. It seems like what is going on is chlorosis, from over watering. I'm not 100% but it definitely looks similar to over watering pictures I've seen.

If this is the case, it's good news. It means I'll be able to top my little ladies for ye first time, soon.

If anyone has any other opinions I'm all ears :D