First Grow - Northern Lights - 600w - 3x3 Grow Tent

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Distrex, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Dude That IS AWESOME your goin to be getting your stuff analyzed now, I love seeing all the terp And c-noid profiles in the varying strains. So interesting to me!

My day went well, overall.. but some of my new plants are showing bad signs. What this look like to you brother Dis? 1428992014058.jpg 1428992026649.jpg 1428992039062.jpg

My purple kush is not happy ):

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sorry I can't quote you v_rude, but my app is going crazy tonight.

But i'm super stoked for the testing to. I plan on doing a test on most of my plants in the near future. Especially once I start getting into breeding. It seems like an awesome tool for that. I have a few canabinoid and terpene profiles I'd like to try, for certain medicinal effects. I can't wait to see the results

So keep in mind, my level if experience with diagnosing so far. But it looks similar to how many did after I over watered for a bit.

But it does look similar to some nitrogen deficiencies. What kind of mix are you using? What about any nutrients?

Again, I havent had much experience fixing issues yet so please take that with a grain of salt :D

3. #203 A guy, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
    Nice man, I'm jealous.  I used to live on the Oregon coast and surfed a lot.  That's cool you've been able to shape some.  I can't really place where you're at in your pics but I used to surf all up and down Clatsop County.

Your plants are looking great too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah, when I moved up here I didn't see how I COULDN'T surf. I'm only like an hour ish away and the ocean here is gorgeous. That picture was taken at one of the beaches in cannon beach. I still need to glass the second board I shaped. It's a 7' fish for my wife. It's all shaped just needed to wait for the weather to warm up for it.

Thanks man :D I'm hoping they do well. Some of the more yellow looking leafs concern me some, but no think that's just me over thinking their natural process.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nice.  I lived in cannon beach for about 4 years and Needles (south side of Haystack) was my daily driver for surf.  I had a 6.0 fish that was like 2 3/4" thick and close to 20" wide but in the end I preferred "performance" longboards.  I miss those days something fierce since moving over to the dry side of the state.  It kills me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice! Right around cannon beach is usually were I go. Ecola or shirt sands usually. I've got a couple boards now, but still really like surfing the one I shaped. Just something cool about knowing I took foam insulation and a fence post and now I'm catching a wave on it. Haha.

How far from the coast did you move? To far for yhe occasional surf trip?

7. Many miles, like a 5-6 hour drive.  My best friend and some other friends still live there but I'm a family man so it's tough to get out there more than a few times a year.  I snowboard and boat/wakeboard and stuff out here but there's nothing like surfing.  I'm going to be moving to Hood River in a few years and will be picking up windsurfing or kiteboarding.  That's rad your spline is a fence post!

If you haven't surfed the Cove in Seaside, it can be pretty epic.  Localism can be a bitch there but when it's working, it's super clean and big.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've been wanting to give kite boarding a try. Seems like it would be a blast!

Yeah the board was literally foam insulation and fence post. I did all the artwork myself too.

I've wanted to goto seaside but I've heard the locals can be shitty so I haven't gone. It's supposed to be one of the best places in the us to surf.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. #209 A guy, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
    Awesome shape.  I had a somewhere around 8'10" with a similar shape, though was a squash tail.  Looks super fun.  That's pretty rad that you went ahead and made your own.  I'd think that sandwiching those strips of foam would be flexy but I'm sure the glass firms everything up.  The artwork is killer.

I approached seaside with caution, even though I lived on the coast.  Typically they were bitchy in the lineup but once you figure out the flow it wasn't bad.  I gave up a fair amount of waves to the locals.  Folks there definitely have a chip on their shoulder regarding PDX people so I don't blame you for passing on it.  Also it can be a little sketchy to get in and out off those rocks too.  It's worth checking it out sometime, I've never been on waves as big and clean as those.  I got that elevator stomach feeling from going up and down some of those swells.  The biggest and best are at the point break and those are lefts so not my bailiwick.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks man. I went with a super simple shape thay is pretty much perfect for up here. It's been a blast. The foam is glued together in those strips and also glued to the very thick stringer. So everything is actually pretty rigid. I just need to get proper foam for the next one I shape. The second board I did already looks a lot smoother

Yeah seaside does sound amazing! I'm not so much worried about the people being pricks. I'm more worried about my reaction to that. I have a pretty short fuse when it comes to shit like that and don't mind throwing my weight around. I'd really rather not end up in jail cause I caught some local keying my truck. Haha

The elevator ride is the one thing I miss on the normal days down in cannon beach area. You csn catch some waves in great days and get it, but not normally

• Like Like x 1
  11. Day 42 of 12/12:
    Well thanks to my lovely phone deciding it wanted to go crazy, I get to write this for yhe second time :D

So the ladies just started their first day of the 6th week of 12 hrs of darkness. They are looking lovely. They have chunked up a good bit since last update and they have gotten even frostier. Which is always wonderful. The aroma has gotten a little bit stronger as well, and even more lovely than before.

I'm pretty excited to give these ladies a chop, but I'm going to mske sure I give them the proper time before I do harvest this time.

After I do harvest I'll have a week or so before I start my next grow, so i'll have time to clean and reorganize and make any changes I want. I've gotten a few things but I'm thinking of making a 3x3 sip tray so that I can just have yhe one tray in the tent instead of 2+. I've looked up a few different ideas but haven't settled on anything yet.

I was able to get into the PDxA comparative grow. So I've got 5 autoflowers that I'm going to grow next. I'll have a tent full of autoflowers. These were seeds from The Vault so I'm sure they're going to be pretty solid genetics. So it's about time for me to properly read up on autoflowers. :D

I'm glad I got through that the second time without things going crazy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nice plants.
    Prob a 3-4 weeks left if its 6 weeks of 12/12.

13. Thats kind of what it's looking like. I would really love to find a breeder that has correct flowering times in their details section. Haha. Thanks for stopping back in cmgreen. Been a while since I've seen you around in gc.

14. #214 Piña420, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    How is the ipower 600w doing for ya? I bought one but havent started using it still in the box!
    Very nice grow!

15. It seems to be doing a fantastic job thus far, but then again, I have nothing else to compare it with. This is still my first attempt at ever growing bud. I've got the light in a cool tube, so my temperatures haven't been too hard to control. And I try to keep them about as close as I can. No issues so far at all with the lighting.

I have heard that when it comes time to replace your lamps, a few people recommend going with a higher end light. They do cost a little but more for the better bulbs, but not by much.

I'm still in the process of getting my med card. Once that happens I plan on doing a couple side by side grows that I can use to compare different aspects of my grow. If anyone has any suggestions on something they'd like compared of love to hear it. I'm really thinking about doing an led v hid. I know there's a few journals out there already. But I still hear a LOT of people say they'll never trust leds since nobody has a side by side grow to prove they're just as good.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #216 A guy, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    The comparison thing is tough since there is so much variability (or variety) in LED lights.  So many different spectrum blends, technology differences, and of course draw vs nameplate wattage.  I looked for any kind of LED/HID comparison info I could find prior to buying my light.  It's almost like comparing electric motorcycles to gas bikes but with a more shady, manufacturing environment that has less oversight (LED).  There isn't much to correlate in terms of specs and a grow comparison only would compare two light models at best, I have found.  If a person had some high quality measuring instruments and research money, I suppose they could find a LED light that had the same PAR output / distance and spread as a given HID setup.  That would be closer to a comparison between LED and HID, in my opinion.

I ended up buying my LED light over a 1000w HID because of long term costs.  My light draws around 740w so no appreciable difference from a 1000w HID as far as energy costs.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I will start my grow soon and plan on doing a journal here but i will be growing in coco! 
    Here is a list of things i have bought already tell me if i am missing anything?
    1.AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor
    2.iPower GLSETX600DHMWING20 600-Watt Light Digital Dimmable HPS MH Grow Light System for Plant - Wing Set
    3.iPower GLFANXINL4FILT4MD8C Carbon Filter and Inline Fan Combo, 4-Inch and VenTech IF4CF412 4" Inline Duct Fan 190 CFM w/ Virgin Charcoal Carbon Filter Combo
    4.Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect Sensi Coco Grow Part A and B - 1L
    5.Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect Sensi Coco Bloom Part A and B - 1L
    6.Advanced Nutrients Big Bud Liquid Coco Formula - 1 Liter
    7.Advanced Nutrients Overdrive Fertilizer, 500ml
    8.Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice Fertilizer, 250ml
    9.Advanced Nutrients B-52 Fertilizer Booster, 250ml
    10.2 of Smart Pot 5 Pack (5 Gallon)
    11. T5 4 Feet / 4 Tube Commercial HO 6400k for veg got 2 of these
    12. to have something to do while they grow A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
    I plan on growing some sour diesel from royal queens 8 of them in a 6 x 5 x 8! What do you think!

Yeah, you make a good point.  I don't think there's even an industry standard on how to take the readings to do the comparison between LED and HID.  That's part of the reason I'm wanting to do the comparison.  The more people that have independently repeatable results on whatever subject is getting test, the more weight the hypothesis can have.  If not for others, at least for myself.  It'll help me decide on the best way I'd like to grow.

That is at least a 25% reduction in cost of electricity.  Maybe more if you include the fact that you can have a lower speed fan since you're temperatures won't be as high.  That may not be much, but that can add up.

A couple things that I noticed is:
    • You don't have an oscillating fan.  While it's not needed, it is recommended
    • You'll need some ducting and clamps
    • If you aren't growing autos, you may want to get some solo cups or small pots to sprout in
    • If you are going to use bottled nutes, I think it's highly recommneded that you have a PPM meter and a pH meter
    • a 600W Light in that big of space seems a little low on light to me.  I've got a 600w in a space that is less than half that size
    Looks like you are on the right track though.  

• Like Like x 1

I plan on adding another 600w , i have 25ft ducting and some clamps need more clamps plan on adding another inline fan 6"inches with another carbon filter smell is a no no for me. I got seeds thru herbies already have the mother growing at my friends house wich has a veg room and flower room. I have the ph meter need the ppm thought about winging it these time  all im thinking is room temp with the 2 600w and the t5 that i have will change the bulb for flwering to 2400k these will be side lighting . In total the watt for the room is 1632watts. the room will be air tight with fresh air being brought in thru the bottom with one of the 4'' inch inline and the other will be exhausting the scrubbed air and to that i will add another 6inch inline to make sure the least smell posible oh and some ona blocks inside the end of the duct. Hopefully i get started in a week or two! Crossing Fingers! [​IMG]

20. #220 Distrex, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
    Sounds like you've got things pretty well figured out. Are you planning on starting up a journal for your grow?

It is now 50 days from the flip to 12/12. Everything seems to be cruising pretty well. The buds are fattening up by the day. I've still got another week or two before i'll be able to chop them down. But I'll start checking the trichomes here soon. I think the main reason that I chopped too soon on the little autoflower, was the fact that I pulled when the top bud was ready. I could have, and should have, let that one go for at least another week. But you live and you learn, haha.

I'm bubbling up a tea right now for the soil that I still have cooking for the next grow. Just a light mix of kelp, ewc (pulled from my own bin), some neem meal, crustacean meal, and molasses. I figure watering with that should help. I'm thinking of throwing some mycorrhizae in their and throwing on a cover crop for a week or so. I haven't seen many people do that for their soil, but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

No pictures yet as the ladies are sleeping but I'll have a few more tonight.

• Like Like x 1