Should fraternities and sororities be banned?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ItsReneeYo_, Nov 24, 2014.

Yet I bet people still party there.

2. I watched half of a documentary the other day and saw that colleges doesnt necessarily condone or punish the party school mentality. Party schools like asu attract out of state full paying students who really just go to the school for the social life. It was pretty saddening. So these colleges spend more money on non academic things rather than Catering to the student body that cares about their education.

3. Why would they punish it? ASU really isn't there to babysit adults. They're getting paid regardless, which is their bottom line. ASU does have a major reputation for being a party school but it's a great school in general as well. For most people, college is the last opportunity that they get where they can be truly young,wild, n' free. Tempe, AZ has such a fantastic nightlife, most of which caters to ASU students, that even if ASU banned all partying and alcohol consumption, there's still plenty of both to be found within walking distance of the campus. 

4. Hard to pass up $5 all you can drink. :metal:

5. They banned them at Chico state. Nothing has changed. Kids are still getting fucked up and dying from
    Alcohol and drugs.
    I guess this all goes backs to actually making people be accountable for thier own actions but that would be to much to ask.

6. I don't think it should be banned but there definitely needs to be more rules and incentives in place to prevent frat houses from being known as "the rape shack" that's fucking sickening to think that right now at this moment at some frat party , a female is being taken advantage of because she's drunk .

And I'm sick of these naive girls acting like every guy who even shows her an ounce of kindness couldn't possibly do anything to hurt her . And its sad these frat boys , who mostly come from privileged backgrounds , believe that they deserve any and every thing they want .

This is why parents need to whip their children's ass and say NO every once in a while so it sinks in their head NO MEANS NO

I clean table ... I clean mouth ... You breathe deep

7. How about the fact the it's know as the rape house yet women still go there to party. Oh wait. Can't blame the victim
    Here.

8. I see you quoted my post but clearly failed to read it as I addressed that in the second paragraph . You know the whole naive thing ?

I clean table ... I clean mouth ... You breathe deep

9. Perhaps women in their first year unaware of its reputation? I could leave my house unlocked and someone could walk in, stealing my stuff. It's still their fault for being a thief, even though I failed to take adequate precautions. 

10. Has anyone else experienced this. Your friend joins a frat, doesn't have time to chill any more, and starts to become a huge conceited douchebag? Every time I've had a friend join a frat they all get this same annoying mentality. They all suddenly becomes so cocky and self centered. It's almost like a devolution when you join a fraternity. Either way I don't think frats should be banned. I think kids should just realize that they can do better things with their lives than make friends by being forced to be someone's slave for a semester. Friends shouldn't be made due to mutual suffering.

11. #31 goober0331, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    ^ Happened to a friend of mine until he left, and he left after a kid became paralyzed  after being goaded into jumping off a balcony into a small pool a few stories below. Great initiation right there.......

Then again I have friends who did the whole frat thing and turned out fine.

12. Sounds exactly like the new jump street lol.

13. There is a huge double standard. If frats were held to the standards that soroitys are. Many frats would be held in violation of the rules.

Was not in a frat in college. Would never want ti be in one.

14. #34 240sxLover, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
    In the men's bathrooms on campus, I always see Frat hate graffiti/frat graffiti in general, and some ditzy frat guy always writes "Lol someone got cut" in response to "frats are gay". Is said ditzy frat guy retarded? I never even rushed, but I'm the kinda guy who appreciates "frats are gay" on the wall, it doesn't take being cut to hate white-elitist-douche bags.

15. I never really noticed any double standards. Hell some of the sororities were just as bad if not worse than some of the frats.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Fraternities are cool and all, but I don't think we should be letting women assemble...

17. No double standards here. I love parting at the sorties house way better then the frats. Most frat house around here look like half way houses.

18. I remember someone tried to set one up here and the college wouldn't allow it as it didn't go with sense of equality, inclusiveness and supportiveness that the university tries to maintain. 

Also there was a documentary on UK tv where these American girls set up a sorority somewhere in England, but it later turned out the university wouldn't allow any filming on campus as, again, it was seen as going against inclusion and equality policy.

I fully support this

19. Lol, you can't forcefully regulate where a private club can meet.. 

20. No,  Many of those students parents donate loads of money towards the school.

{sidebar}
    What makes something like these "Greek" College and Grad School Fraternal and Sororities any different than a Secret society? Or perhaps a mini version of one at the very least. 

(I definitely typed "Solid Gold Pins" after "Fraternal and Sororities") got eBay listings on the brain still, daamn. haha :laughing: :bongin:    :hide: