Tips of first true leaves turning brown? Where did I go wrong?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by clarebearr, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Your soil looks wet. It should be drying out in a day or two. If its still wet after 3 days id water less from here on out. Let it get pretty dry before you water.

2. I agree wholeheartedly with this entire post.

Perfect.

3. #63 clarebearr, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
    I think I had just watered when I took that pic. I water as needed. If the top is dry, I go to the edge of the cup and dig a finger down into the soil an inch or so and if it's all dry I water until I get runoff. I water every 2-3 days. I heard that if the soil is dry 1/4" down then it can be watered, so that's what I've stuck to thus far. :) I don't need root rot all over again, haha :D

4. Good catch, noted on the sphagnum peat moss! And good to know that I can talk to Clackamascoots on here, that definitely helps. A million thanks to you dude, I appreciate all your help :D

5. #65 turtle360, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
    You're very sweet to your eager contributors. Surprised you're not suffering from information overload.

Having said that as a humbled student myself I'm left at a loss. I don't think you mentioned what strain you're growing other than a mention of a White Rhino and some free seeds.I don't know what that is. No chance there are any autos in play? Just asking.

Second, if you're going to grow in FFOF why start them in coco seed starter pellets? Can't you just as well germ them and put them in a cup of FF Light warrior? coco to soil? Anyone help me out with this one.

Did I get this right, you're watering with water ph-ed to 5.3 straight from your fish tank? This is something marijuana growers do? I guess this means there are no fish in it and you're oxygenating it with the tank's pump? The run off is 6.5. Pokesmot is way ahead the curve from me, but again I must have a reading comprehension problem. You're in soil at this point. 6.5 is a sweet spot. But is it not so that if you put in 5.3 and get 6.5 it suggests your soil ph is upwards of 7? You use Fox Farm and General Hydro products. I would bet $ to donuts if you ask them they'll tell you it's more important what you put in than what comes out meaning you should ph adjust your solution to 6.0-6.5 to feed. I've struggled with ph-ing. It's the biggest mystery. And it's a moving target.

Lastly genetics. This is your second go round? Ever consider going with a strain considered easy to grow like a Northern Lights and try just soil? Some strains are harder to grow. Again you don't say what you got.

6. Let me do my best to answer your questions!
    My only plant is a feminized White Rhino.
    I started in coco seed starter pellets to start my seeds in a medium with no nutrients. Unfortunately the seed starter pellets have no amendments to provide airflow so my seedlings would get root rot and die. I was growing two seeds that came free with my White Rhino seeds that both got root rot from the seed starters so I transplanted to FFOF to save my White Rhino seedling, and it worked.

Water from my fishtank is high in nutrients, especially Nitrogen. This is something you can do to water your plants, yes. For me it's not exactly the best option because I think I am giving her too much Nitrogen as the soil itself is already too hot for her. The pump in my aquarium doesn't give my plant any more or less oxygen, they're unrelated. I am not using any sort of aquaponics, simply growing in soil and using nutrient-rich water for my plant.
    The pH question I can't really answer because I have just about 0 understanding of pH. I figure Pokesmot understands it better than I do and he said 6.5 runoff is good so I'll stick with it for now.
    I've never really heard of one strain being easier to grow than another, just that some are better for stealth growing than others. So I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you ask why I didn't choose an easier strain.

Hope this answers your questions! :D

7. #67 turtle360, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014

So there are fish in the tank?

Ph is the bane of my growing existence. It's #1 on some growers impact list but the art of handling it is full of old wives tales passed along with no proof suggesting it makes any sense. The popular way of calculating soil ph via runoff is as follows and I quote:

Rough Calculation Guide:

Here's some good info on ph.....
    If your runoff pH is higher than your starting pH, use this equation to determine your soil pH:*
    Soil pH = Runoff pH + Difference

If your runoff pH is lower than your starting pH, us this equation:
    Soil pH = Runoff pH - Difference.

For example, say your the starting pH of your solution before it goes in is 6.5 and the pH of your runoff is 7.0. The difference is +0.5, so using the above equation:
    Soil pH = 7.0 + 0.5*
    Soil pH = 7.5

If your starting pH is 6.5 and your runoff is 6.0, your difference is -0.5 and using the above equation:
    Soil pH = 6.0 - 0.5
    Soil pH = 5.5

Therefore, if your solution goes in at 5.3 and comes out 6.5 this suggest a soil ph of 7.7.

Again, I think this is highly dubious. I've challenged repeatedly on another forum for anyone to show that they can corroborate a runoff ph calc with a same result using another method. You can hear a pin drop. Because the internet is full of bad advice and urban legends.

And yes there are strains known as easier to grow. Northern lights is just one. Another is:

http://www.autofloweringseeds.com/buddha-white-dwarf-autoflowering-feminised-seeds-1740

8. There are 3 fish and two plants and it's full of green algae. I plan on watering with this water again in the future when she can handle higher Nitrogen levels. For now I've switched back to distilled water. Oddly enough, pH is 5.7 going in and 6.5-6.6 runoff. I can't explain it! But, my plant looks happier. Can't complain about that. :)

Thank you for the pH explanation! Seriously, I've never understood until now. So, for soil I know 6.5 is the sweet spot. Is it better to have 6.5pH soil and 6.5pH water, or is it fine to have whatever pH as long as runoff is 6.5pH? I think that's the only bit I don't really understand.

And interesting to know some strains are easier to grow. Do you know what makes them easier? I'm curious, not trying to challenge you :D Do they grow faster, or require less maintenance, or are they hardier breeds? Something like that?

Thanks again for all the info on pH, I'm screencapping all of it for reference. I really appreciate it! :)

9. Happy to say I took your suggestion and invested in new soil! Organic sphagnum peat moss, organic perlite, organic earth worm castings, and the clackamascoots mix. Excited to get her in organic soil, I'm sure it will make her a happy, healthy lady. Appreciate all your advice :D Thanks again!

10. Sweet. You've made the right choice...i wish someone had pointed me in the organic direction back when I first started. I wouldn't have as many gray hairs no doubt.
    Any questions just holla

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. I'm glad someone did it for me! :D
    And thanks again, you're so kind!

12. hey guys, sorry to tag you all but I am desperate for help. :(

this is my plant 3 days ago:

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1419444456.165714.jpg

this is her when my boyfriend found her yesterday:

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1419444479.834459.jpg

this is my plant 12hrs after watering:

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1419444433.882011.jpg

she doesn't look better... guys, I am desperate for advice and not getting any. I am begging for your help. i am on vacation and having to tell my plant sitter how to handle this. we are both freaking out. she is under 3 26watt CFLs and 3 20watt CFLs. she is in fox farms ocean forrest soil in a solo cup. there is a fan blowing on her. I can't figure out the problem no matter how hard I try. I need second opinions. is it damping off? I flushed her soil with distilled water the other day. it was dry when I flushed her soil. it was dry when she was watered last night, but it was moist the day before, so I don't think it is under watering, especially when she still hasn't perked back up after 12 hours and plenty of water. is she starving for nutrients that she can't pull from the soil? should I feed her with water from my fishtank? the fishtank water should be full of nutrients. or I could mix some earthworm castings into fishtank water and water her with that, trying to give her a little nutrient boost. I have hydro nutes at 1/4 strength mixed but I don't know if I want to give her that. should she be transplanted? her roots are not poking out of the drainage holes at all. she is not too big for the cup yet but maybe she needs to be transplanted for more nutrients. I could have her transplanted into a larger container with equal parts of sphagnum peat moss, earthworm castings, and perlite. maybe some fox farms ocean forrest as well, for nutrients. I asked him to pH the runoff, it is 6.7pH. I also asked him to check for "bottlenecking" and there is none. she had a very thick stem and I had been tapping the top of the plant, giving the stem a gentle bend, leaving a fan on her since 1wk old, etc building up a nice thick stem so I don't know why she'd just fall over like that. I'm running out of time to save her I think, there's no way this is a good sign and I need to act fast. I just don't know what to do.

please, someone help me :(

13. Wish I had the answer. I'm in over my head with this one. Leaves look like there's been some burn going back some. Isn't that nute burn from the tips going down the edges experienced folks? All speculative but it's in Ocean Forest which is hot for seedlings, but shouldn't do this. I'm at a loss about the water you're pulling from your fish tank. If it's a common practice that's news to me. Let me get this straight: there are fish in the water? The water has additives? Fish food? Fish poop? My first rec: stop putting fish tank water on her. I don't think she's starving for nutrients out of your fish tank. Leave her be. When she dries out rehydrate the soil with spring water, doesn't have to be distilled. The soil will feed her for a while. And transplant, out of the question. Unless it's a last ditch attempt the stress could put her down for the count.

And don't get upset. Just a first grow attempt plant. Lost plant= $20 loss. Nothing more. Start another one.
    Google easy to grow seeds. You'll come up with stuff like this:
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/choose-best-strain-marijuana-beginners
    http://sensiseeds.com/en/cannabis-seeds/beginner-strains

Personally, I have just two grows under my belt and I've had tons of problems (why I hang here) but I got harvests despite everything with this genetics:
    http://www.buddhaseedbank.com/index.php?sec=variedades&var=WD&lang=ing

Start simply. Few to no transplants. No medium changes. Steady lighting, steady temps...........

If she pulls through please keep me posted.

14. Nute burn is from her transplant into FFOF soil. If you can tell in the pictures, it's all on older growth and new growth is fine. If I didn't specify, I have been watering with distilled water, not fishtank water, for the past 2 waterings. I flushed her with distilled water, then the plant-sitter waited until she was dry (when she was found hunched over) and gave her distilled water again, pretty much flushing her again. runoff was 6.7pH. I have 5 more white rhino seeds, if I start over I am starting over with white rhino. it is recommended for beginners. Thanks for trying though, I appreciate it.

15. Ok. Guess what I should say is don't try to do too much to her. If she pulls out great. If not pop another seed.

Can you post a picture of the fish tank?

16. #76 gone4good, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    she found it hunched over? i think your plant sitter dropped the ball...sounds like the roots dried and damaged their osmotic abilities.

start over and flush only if you've added something to flush.

17. I'm on vacation, I'll post one when I have one.

18. he checked the plant the day before and the soil was moist, so I told him not to water. the next day she looked like this

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1419464193.057824.jpg

19. she died. ignore my post.