1st Grow Check it OUT

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CareGiver420, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Any help would be appreciated! Or I could be worrying too much lol

2. A tiny bit of curling will be heat stress, they are still fairly small and they only have a few leaves to cope with it, but they look really really nice, growing lovely.

Probably wait for a few more nodes before nutes, they will grow faster and faster now they have more leaves to power them.  End of the week? *shrug*

3. Looking great after the transplant. Your tap water sounds good, mine is about 230ppm and I tried Distilled for a little while and it just fucked with my plants. Tap water does contain a lot of micro nutes that your plant needs so as long as your water isn't really bad it's the best thing for your plants. I'll sub in though. Looks like a good grow.

My grow journal http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1323166-another-noob-his-first-grow.html

4. Distilled is ALWAYS a no-no.

Did you know it's possible for a human to die of dehydration drinking only distilled water, if they aren't getting certain things in their diet that mix with the water, so the system can "uptake" it? Most specifically certain salts and suspended metals (for instance, drink a gallon of distilled water when suffering heat exhaustion after a summer marathon, you're still going to have a heat stroke. Drink a couple quarts of Gatorade, you'll be fit as a fiddle. Drink a liter of spring water or tap water, you'll do OK).

Plants have the same issues. Difficulty making use of the water. The water's there, it just doesn't get taken in by the plant as efficiently.

Water plus nutes plus light energy equals sugars, sugars equal plant energy for growth. Can't uptake water properly, you're shorting one part of that "equation", and reducing sugars produced, so plants aren't as healthy.

Aside from that...a pH of 7.0 is EXACTLY neutral. Higher is base (alkaline), lower is acidic. (or have I reversed that again? No matter, principle's the same). Ideally, the plant wants "neutral", but, as I say over and over and over...look where they grow best unattended or with minimal attention. Look where they grow wild.

If they tolerate those conditions well, do what you can to match them, and don't stress the plants over-controlling if it's within natural ranges for an outdoor grow.

And remember, natural/outdoor conditions aren't stable. So don't worry if your heat shoots up for a bit every day, even if it tops 100 (F), or drops a bit every day, down to 50 (F). They survive that in nature. hell, Washington and BC "coastal" bud has a reputation that spans the globe...we don't see an average low above 50 until April, when you plant seeds in late Feb, and average monthly lows don't top 60 until July and August. Our average highs don't crest 60 until May, or 70 except in July and August. That's on the COAST...most growers on the west side of the Cascades aren't on the coast, they're inland and higher up...right up to 2500-3000 feet above sea level...their highs and lows are even lower.

So as long as you're not spending the majority of the day EVERY day at 85-100 degrees, or 50-65 degrees, no big. Average it out, and keep it at 70-80 if you want, as a constant, but it's not absolutely necessary, and one or two days of screwup won't do damage, if it stays in those ranges.

Same with RH...rain happens when RH tops 75%-80%. It's also temperature related...warmer air can hold more water vapor, colder holds less. Most of the plants are "native" to tropical latitudes, anywhere from jungle to high desert. Thing Forrest Gump's line about tropical jungle rain..."Little stinging rain, big fat rain that fell off leaves, rain that blew sideways, even rain that came from underneath"...rain, rain, rain, and more rain for 6 months...then another 6 months of short showers every couple days, and humidity so high you couldn't throw off heat efficiently through sweat. Similarly with the high desert of the 'Stans...6 weeks to 2 months where you wonder how the hell anyone could call it a "desert", and imagine you could jump in a wadi and surf to India, if you could make a surfboard. The rest of the time, it's "humidity? What is this humidity you speak of?" There's more water on the surface of the moon than in the air around there in July.

And it varies greatly, not just day to day, but hour to hour.

Humidity's relationship to plant health, in such cases is more relative to fungal infections than the actual plant. For instance, in this part of Washington, you WILL be fighting fungi, period. All out war. Too dry, you have dry mold and some types of mildew to cope with. Too wet, you get leaf rot, root rot, bud rot, various molds, and plain old mildew mildew. But we have an outdoor climate that ensures an atmosphere FULL of spores for each of these.

It's cheaper, for me (and in my position, this makes me believe it's cheaper for others by an even larger factor) to spend my money on Greencure and a 1 gallon pump sprayer from the hardware store, and spray the hell out of my leaves, from above, and from under, every couple-three days. Just use a rolled up piece of paper cupped around the buds while doing this during flower, so as to avoid depositing it on the flower, if at all possible. I don't even know if that last makes a difference, I just want to avoid getting foreign chemicals on my flowers.

5. You sound like you did quite a bit of research regarding the lighting and everything, however it seems you got hooked by "advanced" nutrients marketing...youll soon learn all the brands offer just about the same thing

6. I dunno...I swear by Fox Farms, because I've chemically broken them down for other reasons, and they give EXACTLY what they claim...while a couple other products I tried doing the same with did NOT.

But overall, right idea...same chemicals, similar balances and intensities, regardless of CLAIMED balances and intensities, in general.

7. Do you mind if I ask what other products? And I don't have a problem with fox farm because they aren't overpriced...advanced has a cheap starter set (jungle juice) but then they make it seem like you have to buy all their other overpriced hype products

8. Thanks for the advice I tried keeping the room cooler by adding another fan that oscillates in the room, they look healthy, I might switch to fox farm nutes next grow whenever I run out because they are expensive for me.

Will update pictures in a week or couple of days! :p

9. Happy Frog, Mad Farmer. One other I can't remember the name of.

Happy Frog doesn't deliver the potassium nitrate balance it claims, if you break it down, trying to extract it. Under gas spectrography, it might, but I wasn't able to "break it loose" the way it should have. Mad Farmer, it was the rated level of potash I couldn't extract chemically.

Fox Farms, by weight, I got EXACTLY what I expected of ammonium nitrate by the label (they use ammonium, not potassium, BOTH will work in fertilizers), and only .03% off the potash the label claimed.

That's good justification that I would have to be silly to attempt to refute...but you're referring to the line and not the soil right?  And isn't happy frog made by the same company as foxfarm?

11. #33 Indie-Kah, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
    Ahhh...OK, I guess (since I wasn't aware HF was a FF product--not in the same section in my store, fuckup's mine) I should be specific. Grow Big and Tiger Bloom liquid nutes from Fox Farms broke down "properly"

Alright indie and thanks for clarifying mophead

13. Back to work guys!

Here are some updated pictures

Only 5-6 days after transplanting from solo cups

Also started 15 different other strains they are being germinated and waiting for them to sprout!

Thanks for stopping by!

Pics

Attached Files:

14. One of them still kind of has a slight twisting to the top 2 leafs other than that they look healthy and fine to me, although the master Kush is growing more round than all the other plants lol looks funny to me.
    :eek:

15. Sweet ok!

Seeds have sprouted that was fast lol

16. Hey guys quick question so it's only been a week since transplanting and the roots are already coming out the bottom of the pots, i believe it's a 1 gallon pot or little less.

Should I transfer or give it more time to grow?

About 1-4 roots are poking through out of each pot .

Thanks again for the help !
    B)

17. #40 CareGiver420, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
    No one answered :(

But anyways I have fim'd 3 of my plants they were working on their 5th sets of leafs. In pics its hard to see but I think I did this right. Can get close ups if needed

The other 3 I tried the LST where I bent the main stem over so the under growth would get light.
    Going to get string or something to tie down jus didn't have anything tonight. But hope this still works out.

Pics