1st Grow Check it OUT

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CareGiver420, Nov 21, 2014.

1. #1 CareGiver420, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
    Edit - This will be updated everyweek ! So please give advice/tips!

Thanks for stoping by!

They are 2 weeks old just transplanted into the vegg state.
    Started in party cups, transplanted into 1 gal pots, will transplant one more time into 3.5 gals then a 5 gallon right before flowering.

I have Fox farms OC,and Foxfarms Happy frog, I mix with 20% perlite in with both.

I will be using Advanced Nutes, Voodoo Juice,B52,Overdrive,Big Bud,Bud Candy,
    Havent Added any yet they have been sucking up the nutes in the Fox Farms Ocean Forest/Happyfrog Mix.

My Runoff PH was about 6.2 So that sounds good to me.
    Watering with Tap water at about 7.2 PH, 200PPM
    I have 4 1000Watt Lamps (2 MH) (2HPS)
    Will only be using 1MH 1HPS for this grow.

Planning To Veg for 6 Weeks At Least.

I Have a 8inch and a 6inch inline fan.
    Mountian Air Carbon Filter (hopefully these things work lol)
    2- 6inch Hoods,(light reflector) 2- 8inch Hoods(light reflector)
    2 Fans set up to blow canopy heat level down, Maybe will set up 2 more just to move air around the room.

6 Plants, Pineapple Express, Skunk#1, Frisan Dew, Grapefruit Kush, High Prioity, Master Kush.

****BELOW was a problem I had but Has been solved!****

Hi guys my plants were doing fine till I changed to ro water and thought it would be better for my seedlings, i forgot ro water needs cal/mag added, but anyways it made 2 out of 7 plants go brown/yellow spotting.

One has tiny yellow spotting, and the other has a brown blob on one of the leafs.
    Not sure what I should do to get them through it please help!
    They are 13 days old
    In fox farms ocean forest mixed with perlite and fox farms happy frog.

Under cfl lighting about 2-4 inches away from top of plants
    In solo cups going to introduce them to 1000w mh bulb for veg in about a week.

I think it's a cal/mag deficiency
    Should I add cal/mag + to my water and mix it in and water the seedlings?

Or just continue to water with plain water and hope the plant grows through it?

Also would a foliar feed be any good?
    Haven't been feeding them no nutes but water.

Here are pics thanks a bunch!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416540265.017913.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416540280.401059.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416540294.655008.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416540309.836536.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416540322.737071.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Well, really all I could think to do is use the regular water you were using before and try to kind of flush out the ro water you were using from the soil. You have to be carful not to over water though because that can be really dangerous. Just water like normal and hope it makes it through while you flush out the ro water. I hope I helped! Good luck!

3. Plants this small aren't going to have Cal/Mag problems unless you're using an inert medium (no nutrients like cocoir or something).  You're using good quality soil that has nutrients in, so you shouldn't expect to feed your plants until they have had a chance to penetrate the soil with their roots.

One thing that typically looks like calmag is being rootbound, which is possible in these small pots you are using. Are they cups?  And only half full?  Time to move them to a half gallon pot or something, and the fresh soil will give them a supply of nutrients for a week or two that will perk them up a bit.

Watch out for RO water, as well as lacking the minerals and stuff in tap water which can be useful, it also isn't neutral pH7 as you might expect but often as low as pH6. People don't realise, the carbon dioxide in the air dissolves in the RO water and makes it acidic but there's nothing to buffer it because the water is 'pure'.

4. Yes solo cups and about 3/4 way full, I was thinking it was time to transplant in a week but was waiting for more sets of leaves, but if I continue to use ro water should I add some calmag+ to it? Or not even

Haven't fed them was waiting on the transplant to do so

And thanks for the reply and information very helpful Brotha

5. #5 howando, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
    They will have a lot more roots than you think, transplant them now and you'll see.

Once you put them in a larger pot with fresh soil, there will be some calcium and magnesium naturally in the soil.  The symptoms are probably from being root bound in those pots.

Is there a reason for using RO water, other than you just read somewhere that it might be good?  Sometimes there are good reasons for doing it, but often there's not any need.

6. Make sure you aren't over watering or over foliar spraying those seedlings. I agree, too young for Cal/Mag to be an issue, especially since he's in a decent soil. Could be ph from the RO water. I'd start there if not over watering.

My well water comes out of the tap at 700+ PPM. After the RO filter it is usually about 20 PPM, but the pH ends up being acidic. Check the PPM's of your tap water. Might not need to use the RO like I do.

7. Ok thanks guys, I will ph again and again, but I jus though ro was fresher so I used it haha, but I do believe it's from me watering them with 5.9-6.0 ph ro water because before then I was using tap water and they were fine, I will also try and transplant them in a few days maybe tonight, but the one seedling in pic only has 2 set of true leaves is it too young to transplant ?

I though you were so pose to wait till 4-5 set to transplant from cups to pots

8. Forgot to add I haven't foliar fed at all, was jus asking if it was good or bad at this stage o_O?

So I'm going to water once more than let them dry out and transplant !

Just don't want to shock the baby baby seedlings

9. Your cups aren't even full!

These aren't really seedlings any more, in my opinion, and there is a lot more going on in the soil than you are realising.  If you leave these another week or ten days until they have 4-5 sets of nodes and end up 5 inches tall, they will be definitely rootbound and start to stunt their growth.

Most of the things you read about when and what to do, are kind of rules of thumb and need a bit of context. If the cups were a bit larger and a bit more full, maybe there would have room to grow a little more, but considering you've got a bit if trouble your best bet is to transplant into some nice fresh soil and stop using RO water without a good reason.

10. #10 CareGiver420, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
    Thanks

I'm going to water once and transplant into - 1 gal pots

And about ro water haha I guess il jus go back to tap my tap is at 7.1-7.3 ph range ppm is at 299

So I don't have to add cal mag or any nutes yet to my water correct?

Jus plain water
    And do you think I should ph it down to 6.5? My tap is 7.2 ph out the sink

The tapwater you describe is perfectly fine.  The pH and ppm values are normal.  In soil, the natural minerals and processes with the roots will buffer the pH so that the soil is closer to 6.5-6.8 anyway even though your tapwater is reading as 7.2.

If you never give your plants any other nutrient feed, you may feed to give them a calmag feed maybe 3-4 weeks after you put them in their 1 gallon pots, unless you then pot them into larger pots after that.
    If you feed your plants a nutrient mix, that probably already has calcium and magnesium micro nutrients in so you don't need any extra calmag unless there are signs that you need it.  You wont see those signs for weeks and weeks, if you re-pot them now.

The signs of a rootbound plant are the signs of calmag problems, so first off consider if your plant is actually rootbound before jumping to a chemical fix.  Adding chemicals wont help in that case because the problem is something else, it just looks like calmag. Depending on how long you veg them, you may see these signs again in your 1 gallon pots.  When you do, carefully check if they are actually rootbound before trying to fix it with chemicals.

12. good idea i will deff take your advice and see what happens.

will post pics in a couple weeks to see there progress! :hello:

13. #13 CareGiver420, Nov 22, 2014
    I just transplanted into bigger pots and put them under a 1k blue hortilux bulb.

It's about 5 feet away to not burn them and to slowly introduce them to the new lighting from just cfls for the first 2 weeks.

There was some slight browning on one of the leafs tips and the others kind of have developed tiny yellow/brown spots (these were on the plants before transplanting) but I think it will be fine since I just put them into brand new ffoc/happy frog/ perlite mix.

Soil run off was about 6.2 so that's good I believe ?

I watered after transplanting and here they are!

Strains - Pineapple Express, Skunk #1, Frisan Dew, Grapefruit Kush, High Priority, Master Kush

Here's some pics
    Any tips/advice is very appreciated!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416639542.454318.jpg

14. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416639703.814600.jpg

15. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416639870.514636.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416639884.631403.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416639899.531361.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416639908.684645.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416639918.999293.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416639929.303839.jpg

16. Now it looks like you're going somewhere!  A little room to grow, nice big light, very nice :)  They will take a day or two before they start growing again, so don't worry.  Nice stuff  :smoke:

17. That is nice. I am glad you figured out a good solution!

18. #18 CareGiver420, Nov 22, 2014
    Thanks guys, Im going to keep updating  just so i can keep track of things, and help with other beginners!~

Will post updating almost everyday/every week

Hopefully these baby girls will be huge and healthy by the end of this grow.

19. They have been getting fuller in size and like the new light I believe , only thing I'm noticing is the edge of all plants are starting to curl upwards slightly does this mean they are hungry and ready for nutes or heat stress? The light is 5ft away and is a 1k mh bulb, I have ventilation going but the leafs are all green and fresh jus edges are curling a tiny bit upward, it's been 3 days now since transplant

Pics

Attached Files:

20. #20 CareGiver420, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
    Pics

Attached Files: