Question for atheists

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by keify scoobies, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Instead of asking others why they don't believe, have you ever asked why you believe? The way I see it, if God is real and has a plan.. me being an atheist is part of that plan. It's illogical to believe that I would get punished for being how I was made..

2. I'm not technically an atheist since I believe there could be a possibility of a god. However I tend to not believe in it because of a lack of proof. I look outside and I see science. The wind. Leaves changing colors. I can see evolution through how things change. You can see how genetics work. Nothing has showed me god. I haven't seen anything that can't be explained. And then there are so many religions so who is actually right? If God came to me and told me to believe in Christianity or Buddhism id do it. But until then I won't blindly believe something that I cannot see or feel b

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #23 Dryice, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014

You, technically, are still an atheist. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive.

4. Because I don't follow the sheep. Why is there a million different other religions, if you lived in a community where there was nothing but bhuddists your whole life what would you be?

Shred!!!!!!!

5. Asian?

6. We'll played 😏

Shred!!!!!!!

7. Gonna stop you right there.

There is no choice. You believe what you've logically deduced to be most likely. (Or what's been drilled so deep it causes cognitive dissonance) .

This is why you see more eductated populations, becoming less and less religious.

Smart people question everything.

At best you can argue why not he agnostic.
    No need to answer the rest. Entire post based on false premise. see above

-yuri

8. We don't choose to "not believe". Not believing in a deity is not a choice. It's like being left handed. That's just how you are. And to us, saying its "a matter of faith" is the same as saying "it's a matter gullibility". You really believe in something based on absolutely no evidence? This is especially crazy considering the religious texts were written thousands of years ago by barbarians who had zero understanding of the world around them. And even crazier yet because almost every single story in the bible, even the Jesus story, we're just straight up lifted from much older religions and just mashed together into one ultra crazy religion.

And taking into account that charlatanism has been rampant throughout our species from the dawn of time, and religions gain money and power by telling you to believe in something you've never seen or you will be tortured for eternity, how could you possibly buy that nonsense?

And when you actually analyze the texts, the Old Testament God and the New Testament God are not the same dude at all. The Old Testament God is an angry, petty, needy, insecure, sadistic tyrant. And the New Testament God is a caring, loving, peaceful, helpful guy. So what happened? Why the 180?

And there are just too many things wrong, logically with a God that intervenes in your life considering how vast existence is. You don't matter. A God that could create the existence we observe now could not possibly care about what happens to you, or the choices you make in your day to day life. There's just too much wrong with it. I could rant for hours.

You've been duped by snake oil merchants dude. They've got you scared to death and you will do anything they say...including giving them money.

I am not an atheist by the way. I am an agnostic. I don't believe in any specific deities, I also don't have a belief that there are no deities. I have no idea. And neither does anyone else. Anyone who tells you they know is either an idiot or a charlatan.

9. Religions are very obviously all made up, if you really think about it for a few minutes.  There are so many different religions with thoughts so crazy how can one believe.  There was a time when Zeus and Thor were looked on as real gods and we now know them as myths, there is a pattern there.  Look at the new religions like Mormonism and Scientology, there are people that actually believe these religions when you can prove that the founders were nothing but fraudsters.  There is a quote from L Ron Hubbard the founder who was a science fiction writer that the easiest way to get rich was starting a religion. The Christian religion is no different from these only it is older.  Just because many people believe something does not make it true, it is insanity by consensus.  There are people in the 21st century who believe they will get 72 virgins if they blow themselves up.  Look at the Catholic leaders who protected all the pedophile priests and hid them to so the statute of limitations  would run out.   Religion is harmful and the world would be a better place without ALL religions.  I say just be a good happy person and live life to the fullest because this is the only life you get.

10. Gods of "mythology" = Gods of "religion"

It's a distinction without a difference...

11. #31 KushyKonundrum, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014

Yes they are? One makes a hard stand, the other does not. Apatheism only really deals with how the topic of theism should be handled. It does not describe ones beliefs.

Both sides of the spectrum are silly to me. Making any decision on the metaphysical other than 'I don't know' always seemed to smack of arrogance to me.

I have no idea, and I'm fine with that.

An interesting quote, paraphrased, and I don't remember the source:

"The sign of intelligence is to always be wondering. Only idiots are damned sure of everything."

13. OP, think about why you and others believe in the gods of various religious teachings

Your great parents/grand parents and parents probably swallowed the Blue pill to fit in with the 'religious' masses

Think how many so-called christians (or any other religious types) do not govern their daily lives accordingly

Lies repeated over generations are still lies

ANY so-called god who demands sacrifice of any kind is not a true god

You've been conned

You're wrong.

Oh wow, you got me there.

I'm not going to hound you about something you can easily look up. :p

Please don't tell my you are referring to agnostic-atheism. Please.

No shit.

19. Some of the all-knowing liberals haven't figured out the OP has been banned. :laughing: