The OFFICIAL GrassCity Family Cookbook

Discussion in 'General' started by tallglassesofmilk, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Welcome to the OFFICIAL GrassCity Family Cookbook:hello:  :hello:  :hello:   :gc_rocks: 

I've been tossing around the idea with Mr. Poke, of starting a non-growing thread, dedicated to providing and developing recipes that we all love. Our families both love to cook and eat amazing food and I know we aren't the only ones on GC that share this love. I wanted to make this thread with the intention that ANYONE can come in, ask about recipes, post their own recipes, tell others how they like the food, and share with everyone what they added or took out of the recipes they found here. 

Not much else to say here guys, let's get cookin'!

2. Mr Poke   :laughing:       im gonna call him that to...   :poke:    
    great idea ms poke and its my pleasure to meet you..* bows*

3. Not sure how many of y'all are fans of spicy "mexican" food but this bean recipe will get you laid (man or woman, it doesn't matter). 

This is more so a recipe from my wife's dad who raised cattle in and around Puebla for most of his youth. He slept under trees with dogs for warmth, grew huge weed plants and cooked some good fucking food.

Okay so! 

#1 soak your dry beans 24 hours. Im using 2 cups dry beans. 2-3 cups water to one cup beans to start. Add about a 1/2 tablespoon of salt for every 2-3 cups of water... Don't worry, a good amount of the salt cooks off. Don't get canned beans like 'Sun Vista' brand or other, they end up a different consistency in the end. 

[​IMG] 

#2 Add freshly rendered bacon fat. Buying manteca (pork fat) is okay but the smokey flavor of your bacon really comes thru if you cook it down yerself. I like more than most. I add about a 1/4 cup to a big pot, a couple tablespoons for a smaller pot. Nobody likes dry bean :)

#3 You want 2 jalapenos, a medium white onion, 4-6 cloves of garlic and some paprika. Give everything a rough chop and throw into the mix. Apply about a half teaspoon of paprika. This is also for smokey goodness.

[​IMG] 

#4 Set this mix to a very light boil (3 out 7 on my stovetop) with the lid on, slightly cracked open. Check it every 20-30 minutes to make sure their is enough water. You will want to boil these beans slow enough that you don't need to add water more than once or twice. Just keep them boilin'.

#5 After about 6-8 hours of very slowly boiling and adding eater when needed, stop adding water and take the lid off. Keep the heat the same and stir until about half or 2/3 of the water has boiled off/evaporated.

#6 Take a bean masher (a whisk works too) and smash the beans whilst not burning yourself. The pot will be hot as shit since you've been boiling water and lard for 6-8 hours. Smash until your soup-ey consistency becomes a thin paste. Stir this very well... Lower the heat to extremely low (1-2 for me) and keep the lid off. 

#7 Let the beans cool enough and they sort of stiffen up (not like a can of redried beans from the store, thanks to the lard). Eat up up buttercup! That is all... I don't have a finished product pic yet but I will in about 3-4 hours  :metal:

hahaha hey! I'm not pokes wife, that's 'Cannachick'

4. The recipe part:

7 lb pork butt
    1 big ass yellow onion
    A lot of garlic. Like 2 heads roasted with salt and oil

Sauce: 
    1 1/2 lb dried poblano and Anaheim chilis
    8 cloves roasted garlic
    1 Tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon salt

Masa recipe:
    1 1/4 cup bacon fat not lard 
    4 cups masa mix
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    3-4 cups of pork broth, hot

The plan: 

1. Season the pork butt with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch over over medium high heat and brown on all sides. Add onion, garlic and salt and cover roast with water. Simmer for two hours. Remove and allow to cool. Keep the broth.

[​IMG] 

2. For the sauce add the Chile's to a pot with water to cover them and simmer for about an hour. Season with salt like always. Once they're soft puree them in small batches and save the water. Use the water to make the chili paste into the consistency of tomato puree. Add the oregano and salt and mix in the meat and let it settle in a pot somewhere. 

[​IMG] 

3. For the masa, whip lard until it gets fluffy. Beat in the masa, baking powder, salt and chili powder until well combined. Stir in the magic broth prom the pork butt until its the consistency of peanut butter.

[​IMG] 

4. Fill the soaked husks up with masa... Everyone does this their own way and I suck at it, hence why I have my wife. Here's her, soaking the husks..

[​IMG] 

5. Fill the bottom of your tamale pot until water is up to the grate insert deal. Boil water on high. Fill the lot with concentric circles of tamales until the roots full but not stuffed full. You want some wiggle room. Steam for 1 1/2 hours, no PEEKING!!!! 

[​IMG] 

And then eat them of course. The whole thing takes like 5-7 hours depending on how many bowls you've smoked during the process. Enjoy ;D

5. still a pleasure to meet you sir or ma'am, even though you thought I was a lady, LOL :laughing: :laughing:

6. I'll never tell anyone the recipe for my secret muffins

7. but... but... that's like essential!!!! we gotta share... sharing is caring obama... and YES WE CAN!!!

8. #8 Yoda, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
    *BRO FIST* 

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE YODA BEHIND THE CURTAIN..

he's high as hell most the time...   :laughing:   good to meet you

9. Granola bars are way too expensive. I make my own

I use all organic ingredients. Exact ingredients vary from batch to batch.
    It makes 8-12 bars depending on what size bars you want. 

1 cup Puffed rice cereal (like rice krispies)
    2 cups of your favorite granola(s)/trail mixes. I usually use at least two kinds ( I like ones with fruit and nuts mixed in already) (I use grandy oats brand, local to me and wicked yummy)
    1/2 cup of dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, blueberries…)

For the "glue" mix

1/2 cup of brown rice syrup
    3 tbsp peanut butter

I slightly heat the rice syrup/nut butter and mix well into the dry ingredients
    pour and press into an 8 x 8 pan, then bake for 25 mins at 325 F then press again. (I use a meat tenderizer to press)

After cooled, cut bars to desired size and wrap or bag.

10. I can't wait to try those beans.  What can I substitute the pork fat with since I'm vegetarian?

Awesome dude this is great for me. Can't wait to try this.  Subbing to this thread. :D

I've used vegie oil with a couple drops of liquid smoke before. It wasn't an exact match, but close. Those beans are similar to beans you will find at a 'taqueria' or taco shop.

12. I love a good pasta alla carbonara

I don't really measure my shit though, so kind of a "wing it" recipe

Cut some bacon into bite sized pieces and saute over medium heat until it's a bit crispy

While you're doing that, get some water boiling and add your preferred pasta (I like penne)

Once the pasta is cooked, drain it reserving, let's say, half a cup of the pasta water 

In a bowl beat together some eggs (I do about 1 egg per pasta serving) with a generous amount of fresh grated parmesan, black pepper, and just a sprinkle of red pepper flakes 

Toss the pasta with the bacon, remove from heat and add the egg/parmesan mixture. stir it all together real quick and add some of the reserved pasta water until the sauce is at a nice consistency

top with a little more parmesan and enjoy!

I sauteed some garlic, mushrooms, and onions with the bacon for this batch:

[​IMG]

That looks delicious!!! I will be trying this one soon, will let you know how we like it ;)

I like this particularly because it's totally healthy and kid friendly. Nice dude

15. Macaroni & Cheese.

Add powder sachet to pasta, add water to line, nuke for 2minutes or until pasta is tender.

16. Subbed and in guys

Chef.

17. I have absolutely no cooking experience but I'll be checking back frequently. A few girls I know will make me food if I buy the ingredients.
    Does anyone have any special chicken recipes? I love chicken and probably eat it 4-5 times per week but I need more variety in my poultry life. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Can I drop some cannabis infused food recipes in here or is that just for normal food?

Chef.

19. #20 benchwarrior, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014

I wouldn't see why not but who am I to say what the official cookbook desires. No ill intent directed, but if its taken until now to start this thread up I salivate  to think how much more cannabis will be required to come to that consensus. Personally, I'm saving these for the future and replacing any instances of oil or a source of fat with a cannabis infused one.

Yes, but it involves clay and lotus leaves.

Saved to edit with recipe and pics at a later point in time..

Here is the basis:

- Aquire some Lentinula edodes, be they forest fresh or contained in plastic
    - Place the mushrooms gill side up in the sun for a minimum of 13 hours
    - If they are dried, reconstitute by soaking in water. Save the water.
    - Remove the stems and store for other endevors
    - Collect kelps, be they fresh off shore or dried off a shelf
    - Contain in water for six hours
    - Combine both sources of water together, lowly simmer for 19 minutes
    - Add tamari as desired