First grow indoors need help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sakerocket, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Hello everyone, I just finished up getting my box setup. I am now about two weeks in and one of my plants is showing a little bit of yellowing on lower leaves. I have searched a bit on it and it seems there are about 100 different things that can cause it. So I just need someone with a trained eye to say "hey you fuc*ed this up and you need................" Please help fill in the blank lol. I swear it looks worse in person. It really is dry, crispy and the yellowing is focused on the lower leaves from mid leaf out to the tip. the yellowing seems to be in between the veins which from reading sounds like iron. It just doesnt look like any of the ics I have found with Iron problems. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. What soil are you using. Are you using nutrients at this point? What kind of lighting are you using?

3. #3 sakerocket, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
    Just as some background info on the setup, I built the box 52" wide by 24" deep and 48" tall. It is split in half with one side running ~240w of 5500k-6500k cfl. It has a few 2700k in it as well. The other half has ~350w of 2700k cfl with a few blues in there as well. This side also has a 35w 3000k metal halide mounted in the box and a 10000k 2ft tube. I also have a 2x2x5 tent with a 250 hps not setup yet. Growing in just a bunch of soil I had leftover from all my Bonsai trees (for cuttings etc not the pumice rock soil). This has been the poorest grow you have likely seen but I had a bunch of stuff already for my trees. I have used some general plant food 6-12-6 I know it's not the ideal thing but it is better than nothing for now and that's all I got. 

4. dimensions are off but close

5. pics would be a great help also quote people for replies

6. It's nutrient burn.
    I'd suggest flushing until the runoff is equal or with 200ppm of the water being used for the flush.

Ok thanks for the reply. I'm thinking I should go ahead and flush the other two containers too even though they haven't shown signs yet. I got the Fox Farm stuff now Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Grow Big, Bush Doctor Microbe brew, Kangaroots Root Drench, and Open Sesame. I'll look into the schedules for this stuff. Thanks again.

8. Looks like you're using more coco than soil. lol
    Yeah, I'd flush the crap out of it until the runoff is dam near the ppm you're flushing with.

9. #10 sakerocket, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    I've flushed all three containers now. My question is I obviously won't be feeding them this time with everything soaked. But for my next watering I assume I just start my Timewrecks on the Veg side at the beginning of Fox Farms Schedule. http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/images/pdf/SoilENG-Q2.pdf   But the ones on the flower side (12/12 from seed)  I am wondering where to start it at on this schedule. I'm guessing week 5 even though they are just 3-4 weeks in. Or should I give them the last couple weeks of Veg mix? Thanks again

10. #11 CustomCocoMan, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Ummmmm, I'm confused.
    The plant in the first pic is 3-4 weeks old :confused:

My plants are not even 3 full weeks into veg.
    1416456377992-710857374.jpg

So I was thinking that plant is like a week old.
    I'd start them at the 2 week mark on the feeding schedule because you clearly have a couple of weeks of veg to go.

11. 3 weeks from planting a seed maybe 1.5 weeks sprouted and that may be a little off. I can't figure out when people consider start of veg lol 

12. The day after the seedling opens its seed cracker leaves starts the seedling stage.
    Then the seedling stage lasts one week and we start counting veg time.
    The Veg stage lasts how ever long you want.

I usually veg 4 weeks and then flower them.
    So total grow time is no longer than 90 days from seed, and because I use Co2, I can cut a week off the total grow time.

13. Ok so I have 5 total in the 12/12 side (258 watts CFL and 75 watts HID 333 watts total) 3 just over a week old. 2 are just popping out now, These are all random bag seed that I'm just doing 12/12 to test lighting etc and get some going while the Timewreck veg's. I know I wont yield much from these but it's a test batch I guess. The Timewrecks are anywhere from 1 week to 2 weeks old now (221watts CFL) We'll see how this goes. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

14. #15 sakerocket, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    That being said should I still start the ones on 12/12 at week 2 of feeding? I know that they aren't capable of flowering for at least a few weeks.

Edit; I think I found the answer so thanks again. I'll run veg nutes until I see signs of flowering. 

15. Okay, remember that with low light levels, you also want low tds within your soil.
    So I'd personally would not feed them what's suggested by fox farm.

You should do 1/2 strength until they're about 8-10" tall.
    Then I'd do a feeding than a couple watering days, and maybe even a few.
    You really need to catch runoff and test the tds to see how hot your soil is, because fox farm is making calculations based off HID lighting and then a 20% runoff. I assume you're going to the grow start to finish in them pots?

Just make sure you don't add too much nutrient because soil is really easy to overdose. ;)

16. Yeah, that's what I do, veg nutes until I start to see them flower.
    Maybe I'll start adding in my sugars when I start flowering.

17. Thanks again man very helpful. How can I test the soil,,,,,, cheaply? I am so poor right now. 

18. My buddy that gave me these timewreck seeds is also bringing me a spare tent, carbon scrubber, fans and 250w HPS that he isn't using right now so I'll have that soon too. I'm actually thinking I may use the tent for veg and set up a second flower spot in the same cabinet where I currently veg at. That way I have all my flowering stuff in the same box. I am not sure what I should do yet but I want to get it all ready soon so I can just go with it. 

19. Well you test the runoff and determine by what you fed to what you got back.
    That difference determines if you should feed again, just water, and when to flush it.

Again, I'd suggest 1/2 strength, then a few watering with water only, then another feeding.
    with the low light levels the plants are not going to use a whole lot of nutrients and the salts will build up rather quickly.