Snow...Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Burghy, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Personally I love snow, it's beautiful. The first snow fall has always given me an excited warm feeling inside but I know some people absolutely hate snow.

What are your thoughts?

2. the first 10 mins are great...

• Like Like x 3
  3. I like snow and winter a lot. I like watching is snow, especially when it snows heavily. Winter is a nice change from hot weather. Snow is a nice change from rain. Variety is nice.

I remember one year after it had snowed there was freezing rain. Driving on roads that went through woods was really nice because the trees were glittering in the sun. It was beautiful.

Where I live I don't have to endure long, cold winters every year. Last year was one of the longest/coldest in awhile. The snow/coldest weather lasted from sometime in November until sometime in January. Probably about 2 months. There have been some recent years with almost no snow at all.

4. It depends on the consistency of the snow..

If it is really wet, then I don't like it. If it is more 'dry', then I love it!

5. I really like the snow when it comes down really fast in those big flakes. And I think everything looks really nice when it's all covered in snow. But the problem with living in the Northeast is that once snow is there, it's there for weeks and then gets all dirty and gross. That's when I don't like the snow. I should live in Virginia or someplace where it snows a lot in like a day, but then a couple of days later it's all gone.

6. I like it for a few weeks, but 5 months of winter gets old... And if it stayed at like -5C that'd be great but it just gets so fucking cold :(

7. I love the snow! And cold weather in general. I start getting uncomfortable when it is 60 degrees outside and I spend my summers in misery just waiting on winter. I wish I lived further north so I could get full winters but I have to settle for second best which is the mountains of Western NC which stay much cooler than the rest of the southeast and have semi-northern winters. Plus the higher elevations here (anything above 5,500 feet, the highest elevations here go up into the 6,600 ft range) have climates that mimic Canada not only in weather but also in foliage. Nothing but fir trees and minimal shrubbery can grow up there and it is like a different world from the ground level areas which range b/w 2,000-3,000 feet. If it is 20 degrees at my house than it can be -15 on tops of mountains not including the windchill.

• Like Like x 2
  8. #8 Johnny Blazed, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
    nope i prefer fla where a normal winter day is 60 degrees

9. Kind of 50/50 for me I love the whole wintery night scence walking around the snow is all sparkly and shit its awesome

but then for some odd reason everyone forgets how to drive

10. I like the activities it brings ; snowboarding and snowmobiling is great but -40 degree weather is dreadful. Shovelling sidewalks, scraping windows, flat tires, shit roads, vehicles that won't start all make winter fucking suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  11. Love it right now haha. The snow here is beautiful and driving through it blazed is amazing with the snow on the trees. Gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. It's pretty. Snowballs are fun to throw at people. Off-roading is fun as fuck with some snow.

But for the most part, I could do without it. Or more so it's counterpart, ice. I'm grateful to live in Kentucky, large amounts of snow are more the exception than the rule here. Still, icy roads, people wrecking on them, then having to drive on said icy roads in order to deal with said people, etc., I would hate to have to do it continuously from November to April every year.

I didn't know what snow was until I moved to New Hampshire :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  13. It shocked me to learn that there are plants in eastern KY and nearby areas that normally only grow in New England and Canada! Hobblebush, elderberries, etc. Appalachia is a cool place :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  14. I hate it.

More and more every year.

I hate the cold, I hate the darkness.  I hate shoveling the stuff.

15. Yeah there is just something about the Appalachians that is much different from the areas that surround it. I grew up thinking it was normal but every time I left the mountains it was like entering a completely different world haha. I go to Georgia, East Tennessee, and Upstate South Carolina quite a bit and even just going these short distances shows a major difference in the foliage; there are tons of southern pines and there really isn't much else but up here there is a huge array of plant life.

This is what I mean when I say that the higher elevations have Canadian climates, it really feels like being in Canada up there in both climate and the types of plants.
    The first pic was taken on Mt. Mitchell which is at 6,683 feet in elevation and the highest point east of the Mississippi River and the second was several yards from the summit on Richland Balsam Mtn. which is at 6,410 feet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Those pics are beautiful! Especially the first. I've never seen Mt Mitchell, I need to add it to my list of things to see. I've done a lot of exploring and hiking around the NC/TN line and further north, never been east of Asheville in NC though. A lot of good hiking around Mt Mitchell, no?

I got to go to Asheville, and do some exploring in the Blue Ridge area a couple months back. Amazing place, never fails to blow my mind! I used to live up in eastern KY, but I live a little west of Appalachia now, but I still head out east pretty frequently, and love the scenery doing so! :smoke:

17. #18 squidrick420, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    There is no shortage of great places to go hiking out here! I've lived in the area my entire life and I still find new trails all the time. Since surveying is a part of my civil engineering program in college I have been working on mapping out some new trails but I haven't gotten all the data I need yet haha.

The Mt. Mitchell area is great but going up on Mt. Mitchell itself is sort of a bummer since it has a paved trail, observatory tower, and a damn tourist center. Not much nature left on the mountain, however, you can hike along the Black Mountain ridge line and get to Mt. Craig which is nearly as tall as Mt. Mitchell and is the 2nd tallest peak in the east coast. The Black Mountains are one of my favorite areas and they are right down the road from Asheville.

I live by the Blue Ridge Parkway and on the border of the Great Smokey Mountains so I have way too many options for hiking in virtually any climate that WNC can throw at me haha. I prefer high elevation hiking though for the views, cooler temperatures, and most importantly no black bears to scare off (usually).

Edit: If you like my pics here is the link to my Panoramio account, I take a lot of nature pics and upload them into Google Earth. I have more that I haven't added yet.
    http://www.panoramio.com/user/8361893

• Like Like x 1
    I have about 3 feet of it pilled up against my garage right now. I tried to get to my car at school yesterday and I had to walk through waist high snow, and I don't wear waist high boots. I couldn't see the curb under all the snow, so I tripped in it and fell the very short distance face first. By time I got to my car, I was freezing and I had snow in my crotch. 

I fucking hate it so god damn much. And yet I live here. 

19. I love to snowboard and ski so of course I love snow!