Issues with my 2 week olds

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by DamMastCalendar, Nov 17, 2014.

1. #21 waktoo, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    I really think this is the root of your problem.  Even in those small cups, seedlings have a very underdeveloped root structure.  If you wait to water until the top of the soil is "dry", and then water to drain, you're supersaturating the soil in the lower part of the container.  At this point, this is where the majority of your roots are.  Overly wet soils do not contain sufficient levels of dissolved oxygen in them.  Oxygen is essential for the proper cycling and uptake of nutrients by microbes and plants.  Without it, plants begin to exhibit all sorts of different forms of "nutrient deficiency" or "burn", which then generally leads to over application of unneeded fertilizers or unnecessary flushing (which compounds the problem even more).

What I would do is this...

Wait until your containers feel "light" when picked up by hand, almost like they have no weight in them.  This could take more than several days.  Grab your seedling pots by two fingers and "swing" them like a pendulum.  If there's sufficient moisture left in the soil, you'll feel it.  Then ONE MORE TIME, water slowly (in increments to ensure even hydration of the soil) until you have just the beginning of runoff from the pot.  Then, when the top of the pot dries out, water just enough to hydrate the top portion of the pot.  Continue with this method until you transplant.  First watering after transplanting, water the whole pot to drain, and then continue a watering regime that keeps the top evenly moist.  Water WILL make it's way down into the lower portions of the pot if/when needed.  Might be a good idea for you to purchase a cheap moisture meter (if you can find one), as it will at least give you an idea of how much moisture is contained in the soil at depths deeper than your "finger probe".  This will help you determine how much water to add to keep the "top" moist without oversaturating the soil in the lower levels of the pot. 

You have not "over fertilized" your plants, and you most certainly do not need to add ANTHING to your seedling pots before they will need to be transplanted.  There are plenty of nutrients contained in your EWC to get them through.  Get rid of the SuperThrive.  It's unnecessary chemical gimmickry, and certainly not organic...

Get your soil moisture right, and your seedlings will start to thrive.

2. Don't listen to that Joey guy. He's a dumbass.

3. Dude. You need to go. Insulting one of our most respected members isn't gonna make you any friends. Neither is pHing your water in an organic garden. Your rude and it is obvious that you don't know a damn thing. Head off to the hydro forums.

Superthrive? Seriously?

Sounds like Cervantes circa 1982...

5. Mind your own business and go choc nose someone else seriously! Your obviously blind to what he first said, or your his b.f and his called for backup. Your a tool. You have no idea and this thread isn't looking for trolls, take a hike!

Sent from a used tampon, launched from Mars...

6. I believe in free speech and all but you're really wasting your time over here.

Solo

7. Wasting my time? No I'm simply sticking up for myself, simple. You come and have a go at me your going to get it in return.

8. Sorry bud. You insist you're giving sound advice and so am I. Good luck.

Solo

9. [quote name="CanadianOrganic" post="20945027" timestamp="1416331159"]Don't listen to that Joey guy. He's a dumbass.[/quote

Your a wanker.

Cool your jets "mate"...........your abusive behavior won't fly here. - Chunk

10. Fair call, I get what your saying mate ;)

11. I'm too tired to deal with rude people? so I'm bowing out of this conversation. Good luck OP. I'm getting too old to be bothered by anyone who is ignorant enough to have "used tampons" in their signature? Pretty classy.

Later.

J

Jerry,

No reason for you to bow out of this conversation. You've earned my respect and just as importantly, the respect of Grasscity at large. Once in a while, we have to deal with the issues at hand and that's why we have a moderator team.

DamMastCalendar,

You've received sage advice from the GC Organics regulars and I hope you get your seedlings straightened out.

All the best,

Chunk

13. #33 DamMastCalendar, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    Wow... that went south fast.

I'll be giving this a shot.. These girls are just about done and burnt, but i'll be sowing again in a day or two... will keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing Waktoo.

Thanks for chiming in everyone!

14. The two girls in coco are on their last leg... The ones in peat have bounced back with some new lush green growth. 

What i take from this is that the 7+ ph wasn't really doing the coco girls any favours while the peat (which needs a bit of lime to raise the ph anyway FWIK) did just fine.

Lesson learned: If i pop seeds in coco next time, they'll have to be given phd water till the time they go into my main mix which is mostly peat. Only used coco to start the girls off. 

15. Why don't you just start your seeds in 16 ounce to 1 gallon pots of your good soil mix next time and be done with it?

J

16. Damn, I forgot to add this as i got distracted by office happenings.... i popped one bean into my full strength soil too. If she does well, i'll transplant everything else immediately. 

17. How long ago did you mix the soil?

Also, what's in it for vermicompost and compost?

J

Mixed and set it aside two and a half months ago. Has 50% of my home made worm castings and 50% store bought organic compost (I didn't have enough castings ready at the time). Although now i have about 50 Lbs worth of my own EWCs ready for teas and top dressing down the line.

Here's the full mix (which you helped out with earlier). Does not show granite dust that i added eventually.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1332892-opinions-my-soil-mix-everything-sourced-pakistan.html

19. "Mixed and set it aside two and a half months ago"

There is absolutely no reason to plant your seeds in anything but this mix - and the main reason that you constructed it.

Keep us posted please. I've no doubt that you'll be pleased with the seedlings planted in 2.5 month cycled organic soil.

J

20. I'll keep you guys posted right here Jerry