My First Grow - Northern Lights CFL Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by CANandProud420, Nov 17, 2014.

1. ive realised the time doesnt matter as much all depends on the desired height ill flower at 18 inches tall probs

2. I had a small box that was 4'w x 2'd x 4' h that I made into a small solo cup box. I used the 3/4" foam board with some type of shiny surface on it. And foil tape to make it. I got 2 small fans from $gen. And a bunch of y connectors for the CFLs. So my divider was foam board, but good plastic or anything that can block the light from the flower to veg side will work.
    For most people they have better luck with pure darkness on flower than some small light... It tends to keep the plants in a veg stage.
    Some people use 20+ hrs to keep plants in veg for almost ever to get clones from.
    Typically indoor flowering vs outdoor is different as far as moon light goes in that sence of pure darkness... Dunno the real reason, just makes a difference in yields and plant growth having no light at all during the dark period.
    Also is different if you are growing autoflower plants. I am dying to try some.

3. Im following! veg time doesn't matter, totally based on size and situation indoors IMO. course Ive been growing autos so not like i have a choice :D I've got two more seeds than maybe back to regular plants we'll see

plants generally stretch 2-3 i read end of veg and flowering end so if you start at 18inches flower you can expect possibly 54inches end result, probably not that much and i think NL is an indica, a shorter plant anyways so it prob won't stretch that much

Are you going to change the kelvin temp of bulbs to a lower kelvin 2700k CFL when flowering?

4. Good info ill have to setup a divider by 12 days from now and just flower my #1 n #2 theyll be 6 weeks old, #3 will be 1 month old and #4 will be only 2 weeks old, then for my 2nd grow ill start all 4 at the same time so that they can be kept in the same space. 

Thanks your girls look good btw, Id like to try a big bud type of auto when i use up my NLs gonna need the autos for my 3rd grow. For that last phrase you posted should it all be 2700k bulbs for or mixed with daylight bulbs too? Ive got 25% of my bulbs that 2700k should it be more?

Okays guys ive looked around with no definitive answer, why are some of my fan leaf stems turning purple&red read it can be a deficiency , nute burn, genetics etc etc?

5. Nice setup man. Lemme pull up a chair and pass you a joint. Im growing Northern Lights too. Nice too see its going up every morning. :)

6. thanks mann, so far so good they hit a little growth spurt tonight going to post pics in a couple hours, got a journal?

7. Another update with pics,

On pic #3 & #4 I just wanted to know why its like that, #3 shows a fan leaf with a bit of yellow and burnt spots not caused by light since seems only 2 leafs affected, #4 is just completely yellow so any ideas? 

The last pic shows girl #4 just a couple days old finally sprouting, #2 and 3 seem to be doing alright.

#1 is 1 month n 2 days old
    #2 is a day or 2 behind a month old
    #3 is 2 weeks and a half
    #4 is a couple days old

Attached Files:

8. Your smaller leaves under the canopy will suffer. Mine always yellow near the bottom first. Old leaves just fall off after a while

9. #50 CANandProud420, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
    its getting a lil worst now and even started on girl #2, so this is normal?

#1 is getting pretty tall at 14 inches now most likely ill start the flowering phase in 7-10 days
    #2 is 11 inches
    #3 is 5 inches 
    #4 has just got its first set of leaves

I should have started them at the same time. 

10. You may watch out on the nitrogen its receiving. Some yellowing of the tips can be caused by nitrogen. Other things include lack of a mineral or 2. No big deal... But when you go to flower try and do a Lil flush to help it out... Veg nutes and flower light = dead plant...

11. #52 CANandProud420, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
    ill post pics maybe you can tell me what it is, some of the yellow leaves have black spots. 

Attached Files:

12. Lots of deficiencies, nitrogen is what's causing the yellowing at bottom to grow up, the spots might be calmag def but may be right

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

13. Woah... Hold on... I hope this helps. This is what I am starting to lean towards.

Attached Files:

Wish I had a book like that lol, so as far as you guys are telling me I dont to flush I need to give it nutrients? I bought something called Schultz liquid 10.15.10 I know its more of a flowering nutrient but would it help?

15. The book is "the indoor/ outdoor medical growers bible" bought it on amazon a few years ago. I reference it all the time. Great book.
    As far as the nutes go, it should be OK, but if you can find some potassium to add it would help. N-P-K. Where K = potassium. Im sure some calmag could do u some good too. Amazon prime is my friend.

16. cool thank u dude, well hope they get back on track I couldnt imagine losing them at this point. How long should I expect the leaves to recover?

17. Old growth never. New growth will be better. Even if you clip them off soon, its still healthy for the plant. Hell it may even shoot off a new growth or two. It won't take log for it to recover. These plants are very strong, and yours look great. They have good potential for sure.
    The worst would be a major problem mid way in flower... During veg many problems are "easier" to fix

18. cool, i was just getting worried the yellowing would spread to my preflowers lol cant have that. Ill post a pic in a day or 2, thanks.

cool, i was just getting worried the yellowing would spread to my preflowers lol cant have that. Ill post a pic in a day or 2, thanks.

19. hey guys could you help me out im starting to fear my plants are gonna die maybe im just scared for nothing but seems some of the leaves are getting some good color back and then it also seems more leaves are turning yellow. I feed #1&2 i think 2 days ago with half strenght schultz 10.15.10  I was thinking should I just flower it now or should I wait another week or so I wanted to wait till they got 16-20 inches long im just worried their condition will be fatal instantly and wont be able fix it. So far #1 is 1 month and a week old 15 inches, #2 is a lil over a month and12 inches (30 cm).  Heres some pics taken couple minutes ago.

Attached Files: