Secondhand marijuana smoke may damage blood vessels as much as tobacco smoke

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by The Grasscity Post, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Yeah it's fucked. So glad cigarettes never did anything for me besides make my lungs hurt and make my mouth taste bad.

2. #22 Galaxy420, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
    the effects of cannabis are such that it would not require chain smoking(the filling of rooms with second hand smoke)  like with cigs as the effects of cigs wears off in minutes so requires one after the other. cannabis effects last much longer so less likely to have chain smoke filled rooms in houses with cannabis smoke unless Cheech and Chong live there with their Labrador.

same as 1930- put em in the tank and start pumping smoke. check back hours later to see how many are left alive with zero oxygen to breathe in then blame all problems on smoke inhalation instead of oxygen deprvation.

My question exactly.

As Galaxy420 illustrated, dirty tricks have been used here before.

For this to be meaningful, we need the "human equivalent" comparison in regards to the mice.
    Did they smoke the equiv of one joint, two joints, or 40,000?

Were the effects found because second-hand cannabis smoke is dangerous, or because so much SMOKE was pumped in that it caused oxygen deprivation? This was the case in the old monkey experiments, via gas masks.

Besides, with recent research that SUPPORTS cannabis for heart health, circulation, hypertension, etc, I'm especially skeptical on this article.

This very potentially is another meaningless, fear-mongering piece disguised as a study.

4. Well, I guess my blood vessels are damaged and will continue to be so.

I must be on the verge of an aneurysm or a heart attack :yay:

Any day now... :bongin:

6. http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/apr/13/will-legalization-spark-research-marijuana-in-the/

Marijuana is in a dangerous but exciting phase in America ""It's unfortunate, but you can count on one hand the number of human studies done in this country," she said. "It's possible to get approval, but people are just very leery, I think for political reasons."
    http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/apr/13/will-legalization-spark-research-marijuana-in-the/

We are in the infancy of understanding marijuana, this is a social and physiological petri dish for about 7% of the population.Like cigarette smokers of old, you will not care about the negative impacts until the gov't taxes you into sobriety.

Let us hope I am wrong, but as more studies are peer reviewed by physicians it appears the primary benefits long term legalization will be the taxes the gov't collects from sales of weed. Hurry up and get it over, free the weed!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/195435-benefits-you-get-from-a-gmo/

7. I remember hearing in one study (was a couple years back) that they fitted the rats with gas-mask type devices and literally smothered them with smoke for 30mins at a time.

8. Subcool 420 has COPD and he will back this up. His doctors told him to stay away from 2nd hand smoke.

9. #29 †TheGrow†, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Well my parents got high off second hand smoke one time. They never smoke, we had a party, we ended up talking for awhile and my GF and I were ripping hash bowls out of our bong... they got the second hand smoke...and well this is what happened... Didn't see any popped blood vessels lol Just happy times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-5DtcrJymw

10. Smoke is never good so I'm not surprised by this. Tobacco, weed, couch, tire - all bad smoke.

God Dude!  that study says smoke is bad just as all other studies do that can target the only aspect of cannabis that is toxic- (smoke)the administration of the plants compounds to the organism through a smoked medium. There are many,many rivers that reach the ocean not just one- get on google maps if you do not believe it!  why judge all approaches by one way of approach???????f

YO! you can even make a tea with Cannabis and doctors from the 1800's prescribed cannabis to stuff up into your ass as medicine. cannot get any more bold than that and the application of stuffed in the ass cannabis did not have smoke related problems at all- ZERO!
    they would have gotten the same results with any burnt plant matter feeding it to the primates that way.

12. #32 The real spliff shady, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
    View attachment 1661599

'merican heart association claims that pigs can fly would be more believable.

13. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1420400152.660917.jpg

14. ^^^^^   lucky monkeys!!!!  give me the mask, no! I'm next- fight ensues among the monkeys wanting to get next in line thinking there will be a party not knowing those will be their last breaths after getting in the mask

30 minutes of constant smoke sounds like an awful lot..

i'd have to imagine that if you subjected any living thing to 30 minutes of smoke from anything at all, that there would be some damage.
    i don't know anyone who inhales a constant 30 minutes of second hand smoke..

16. it seems to be there wasnt much oxygen after being in a second hand smoke environment for 30 minutes^

so thats why the blood vessels had an effect. As soon as they have anything that could point to weed they do and expect all of us to not realize what really caused this in the mice. and only time you are exposed to 30min second hand is like a hotbox

17. #37 Galaxy420, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
    edit, oops- wrong thread

18. #38 Cereal Killer, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
    I'd be really interested to see a human study like this. As others have stated, a study using however many rats in enclosed spaces pumped with god knows how much smoke relative to their size, and a study using a large number of humans being exposed to a more typical typical amount of marijuana smoke could yield very different results. Hypoxia can cause vasoconstriction as well.

What exactly do they mean by 'blood vessel function'? Vasoconstriction, vasodilation, both? Does it actually affect the integrity of vessel walls? I've always read that marijuana is a vasodilator, causing effects like lowered blood pressure, red eyes, neuroprotection, etc. Is the THC and CBD causing vasodilation no longer present in secondhand smoke? And some other compounds in the smoke have vasoconstrictive effects? If so, wouldn't they have the same effect when inhaled directly? Or is this 'overpowered' by the effects of the THC and CBD?

If anybody has the link to this study, I'd love to see it, can't seem to find it. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about cannabis, potential negative effects included among the positive uses. And as someone with a vascular disease, I certainly love to learn all I can about effects on the blood vessels, since that could be pertinent to my own life as well.

19. the small closed in size of our airways facilitate compounding the cannabis compounds into a contained space to be absorbed at will in the space. imagine that amount of smoke and compounds entering a room that is 100s times bigger than our airways. the compounds will start to disperse into that space some sticking to the smoke itself while others just randomly floating off to stick to walls/floors and surfaces.

it is the contained size of our airways and the amount of compounds in ratio/comparison that help the compounds do their thing, put that same amount of compounds into a larger space and their properties need to be increased in comparison for desired effects. ( I think of the cannabis cup where they blasted pounds of cannabis through the rocket while everyone stood in the room and breathed it in  :) . so with that said, the one joint smoked in the room will leave lots of smoke lingering while having little to no compounds( oxidation/air starts to shrivel the compounds) but say 200 joints( or equivalent)  in the same room would have vastly more active alive compounds for longer periods.

there are vapor tents that work like the rocket I mentioned but you are breathing vapor instead of smoke ( the vapor tent contains four or five volcanos spewing cannabis at the same time and you sit in there and breathe)-really seems like a waste but some people need extremes in all things :)

so second hand vapor seems to be a non issue because of no smoke involved but a room filled with smoke would hold the compounds better in the air because they would stick to the smoke better then sticking to vapor??? not sure about that one but seems feasible...

20. #40 josephjt93, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    I'm sorry but anybody who has ever smoked a cigarettes knows they're twice as bad as 10 joints. Hell, I've hardly stopped smoking cannabis. Now, I did try my first handful of cigarettes after smoking cannabis and of course it was horrible. I had to relearn smoking tobacco because of how horribly harsh it is on your mouth and throat and lungs. Not only that, it causes you to tire for the next 10-30 minutes up to an hour, even the next day if you use too many cigs. Of course, once you're used to them, the high lasts 5 minutes, you're smoking 2 to feel it. Can't stop unless you get another, just another. One more. Now joints are a different story. Can't stand that nasty taste. Rather smoke all my weed in a bong. I've smoked no greater amount of cannabis than 1 gram at a single sitting and it leaves me with one or two coughs and I'm at peace for the next couple hours. Tobacco cig? You stink like shit for the next hour, or even day. One can barely breathe without coughing or irritating your lungs painfully. If you're going to post "studies" post citations with real informational pages. We know from real experience, poor soul. Try learning something.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum