Easy glass cleaning.

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by Mr_Krabs, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Hey guys just wanted to share a little method I've used to clean all my glass gear.

I'm a bit of a science buff and engineer with a decent background in chemistry. So I wanted to share my way of cleaning as the popular methods for me like iso and salt are just too much work. I mean shaking the mix around and trying to get all the solution to dissolve the resin and ash to me is too much effort. And I'm leary of reusing a cleaner like Grunge Off.

So here's what I use. Sodium percarbonate. It's essentially powdered hydrogen peroxide. And it's much more concentrated than the 3% stuff you buy at the pharmacy. Not too expensive either. It's also the active ingredient in Oxyclean. But Oxyclean is only 50% sodium percarbonate and has added dyes and perfumes. You can get Oxyclean free and clear without dyes and perfumes but it's still only 50% pure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sodium-Percarbonate-Uncoated-Kosher-5-Lb-Pack-FREE-SHIPPING-/201218411591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed98d4c47

This is 100% pure sodium percarbonate. It's my favorite general purpose cleaner and disinfectant. I use only a teaspoon in a whole load of laundry along with detergent and in warm water it really cleans and deodorizes your laundry as good as bleach but is color safe. I also use it to clean and disinfect my stove, bathtub and heck even to kill white powder mildew on my herb garden, not weed herbs like basil and mint which is especially vulnerable to powder mildew), be sure to rinse the residue off the leaves after soaking the plants for a few minutes. It's such a useful and very safe cleaner and disinfectant. When using it though, you have to remember it's only good for about 8 hours before it loses it's peroxide cleaning and disinfecting power.

But just as an example, my bongs are always crystal clear because I clean them after every use cause it's so easy using this method. So the example I use is my really resinous bowl since I don't clean it as often since it makes it hard to use a metal screen which I like so I can corner a densely packed bowl more effectively than a loose packed snap. Also cornering a densely packed bowl tends to vaporize the weed more than just combusting it like a typical snap which is good for efficiently using your weed.

Simply use one or two teaspoons of sodium percarbonate and fill with water fresh off the boil. You'll find the sodium percarbonate will start vigorously bubbling. This is the real oxidizing power of the peroxide at work. Along with the hot water and resultant sodium carbonate, the resin will saponify and dissolve in the mix and simply float to the top. After the bubbling settles in 15 minutes or so simply rinse out the glass and it should be crystal clear.

The leftover carbon in the bowl is because I tend to clear the screen of resin by torching it and the resin turns to carbon deposits which need to be wiped off with a paper towel. The rest of the bong doesn't have torched carbon deposits and so cleans crystal clear without any scrubbing or agitation, let the peroxide do all the work.

http://youtu.be/pYGJ4JZilCs

But what you will notice is in the beginning, the throat of the bowl is pretty much black with stuck on resin. At the end the throat is 100% crystal clear. Total elapsed time soaking in the bubbling mix might have been 15 minutes and yes it bubbles continuously the whole time cleaning. A whole bong will clean similarly if you can fill it up all the way by plugging any holes at the bottom to prevent draining. All the gunk will simply float to the top and can be rinsed off very easily in the end leaving you with a crystal clear bong with essentially no effort, no shaking, and no reuse of cleaning material like Grunge Off, which I find thoroughly disgusting.

I want clean and disinfected glass every time I use my bong. And this does it easily and is also a very useful multipurpose cleaner too. Hope you guys can put this info to good use especially with some of the more troublesome multi chamber units people go crazy with. The foaming action really gets into all those hard to reach areas.