My first grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NorthernAutos, Nov 16, 2014.

1. So they are 11 days old today and heres an update,
    If any of you can look close at the first picture and tell me what the small green "spikes" are coming out of the stem above the two bottom leaves?

Also in the second picture what is causing the leaves to almost shrivel in and twist?

Overall im pretty stoked, id say for a cheap setup and a first time they are looking really good

Attached Files:

2. #42 Joghorn, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    I dont know. the more i read the less i know. My plants are thriving doing awesome, in what many would consider an sub-optimal setup. while i see other with "phenomenal" setups who's plants are sad. i dont get it anymore. 

twisting leaves usually means too much nitrogen. i'd check and correct that and see if they get better.

Small green spike near the leaf nodes are stipules. all bud plants have them male or female

3. #43 CANandProud420, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
    Looks like theyre as they should be for 11 days good going dude

4. Thanks man I'm pretty fuckin stoked, hopefully they'll actually yield something.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #45 leahw, Nov 23, 2014
    The twisting could be from light, humidity, our heat stress.

6. #46 Indie-Kah, Nov 23, 2014
    Dude, EVERYONE growing indoors has "sub optimal" setups and conditions.

Don't sweat it.

That;s WHY all this discussion...it's about how each of us approaches at attempt to bring whatever aspects WE have an idea how to control to as close as possible to outdoor "optimal" conditions.

Truth be told, there IS no "right answer" to any issue, much less the number of issues involved.

First because it doesn't matter WHAT you do, you'll never match good out outdoor grows in the right areas. Second, because we're each dealing with different conditions to cope with. You and your next door neighbor can both grow the same strains in the same amount of space, you'll still both run into different problems with the exact same setup and methods.

I throw a shitload of numbers around. Those numbers are related to what the plant wants and what the equipment can deliver. I tell you what *I* can use, or what YOU will have to solve, if you use any of those methods.

Doesn't matter beyond that..it's just knowledge to figure out what you need, to best copy outdoor conditions. You may have issues that prevent you from using the "best way to do that", because it makes ANOTHER problem insurmountable...such as you might deliver the best light circumstances you can...at the cost of developing heat issues you can't possibly control, which will kill your plants sure as Justin Bieber will eventually come out of the closet.

Nobody's ever going to know EVERYTHING about them. And an indoor grow will NEVER precisely match "best conditions", nor will any two people ever cope with EXACTLY the same grow conditions, if they don't both build absolutely identical hermetically and environmentally sealed grow areas pretty much right next door to each other. So listen to folks...their methods, the "why" behind it, their reported or documented results, any science behind it.

Test, practice, test again, tinker. When you find the best way to get the best yield YOU can, stick with it, and fuck everyone else. But keep asking questions, listening to answers. You might find new ideas or tricks to try. Give advice of your own for what works for you and why, so the next newbie might miss making some mistakes YOU did.

We're a community of people with a common interest, and this is a long way from a "perfect science", yet.

Think of it as a huge group of parents constantly discussing the best way to raise children.  You might prefer non-corporal punishment, while I feel that spanking during the period they can't have "why" explained in terms they can understand, and CANandPROUD might believe that you apply the belt, within reason, right up until they're making adult decisions....and it's possible we'll all get extremely well behaved kids with ambition, high work ethic, and a drive to be successful. Or MINE, being the ones handled halfway in between the two of you might end up as a pregnant teen, a juvie hall graduate, and a high school dropout, while yours graduate MIT's post grad Electronics Engineering program and Johns Hopkins Medical School, while CANandPROUD's all graduate suma cum laude from undergrad programs at good schools with arts degrees that'll get 'em in the door at lucrative but unrelated to their degree jobs.

But we can, and should, discuss to no end what we do and why, to get our results, and what those results WERE, so others can try them, if they think those solutions are applicable, or will work better in their conditions.

7. well said and thanks for the semi shout out haha 

8. Here's a quick little update, they're looking pretty healthy but have a bunch if the yellow colouring on the leaves. Hopefully my new setup will work out! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416951523.249223.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416951543.310194.jpg

9. Your new set up is looking good. The better the environment the better the plant. I've read.......If the leaves are turning yellow it may be due to over watering??? How frequent do you water???

10. I water them a decent amount every 2-3 days but never soak them, then re-water when its dry to the touch till about 2cm down. 

Got a 180w LED on the way and im making a box so they should grow better in there!

11. I water every three days so at least you can rule out over watering:) Your pics look great.

The new growths (I believe)  are the plant beginning to form their sex. Although its premature now, the sex will reveal its first sign in these places and there are a lot of helpful hints about this on here which is pretty cool. Are your plants both fems????

12. Both the seeds are feminized so I hope they're females haha I'll keep updating the pictures with the new growth every few days!

13. The most noticeable change is the new growth forming in the V's of the branches, they're growing fast as hell :D ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417082761.915000.jpg

The two last pictures are a picture of each plant, overall very happy with my first attempt and I'm getting rid of that tinfoil soon!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417082887.397420.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417082900.490611.jpg

14. Getting pretty.

15. Ditched my aluminum foil today! You can dooo it;-)

Looking good!!!!

16. So I found this stuff called Easy liner in my house and I'm wondering if you guys think it would work to cover the walls?
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417158448.475667.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417158461.343249.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417158483.003184.jpg
    It's white and somewhat reflective but also a weird plastic/rubbery material so I don't know if it would melt? I have a good fan and the 180w LED has one built in so it really doesn't get too hot in there but you guys are more knowledgable than I am lol

17. #58 leahw, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
    The plants are looking good so far!!

I think that white plastic stuff will actually take away from your reflectivity, and it could melt. Foil Mylar or panda plastic is your best bet. Or you can just use flat white paint. All three are great options!

18. juat wanna point put lumens is not the best way to messure light as its in respect to human eye so a green light will put out more lumens than a red light of same wattage. As humans eyes are more responsive to green light..
    Also nasa has proven plant do use some green light there are some pigments that can use it to make energy :)

auto help page if you need help with autoflowers http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1294434-Need-help-with-autos?-Welcome

new vote page sept please vote http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/photovote/2014-09-03-autoultimate%C2%AE-loki_1752/

19. Alright sounds good, I'll ignore that stuff. Hopefully I'm not snowed in tomorrow and can go to homedepot haha