Does weed legalization threaten consumerism?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Messiah Decoy, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Collecting things is a hobbyist culture.

Collecting stamps most certainly would be considered a subculture.

That's all. This thread is rediculous. IMO consumerism will grow in size and spectrum after cannabis is legalized.

2. Messiah wtf is wrong with you? Honestly

You're just denying fact repeatedly like alcohol having things is bad. You probably couldn't pick me out of a lineup of people to be a stoner that loves learning and talking about weed that also tries every strain I can find, so why would you say you couldn't pick an alcohol enthusiast? You sound like a dumb hippie. Enjoy your weed if that's all you need to justify your existence. Many people strive for greater things and if they didn't the world would not be how it is today. People have been smoking pot for a long time illegal or not.

3. In ancient greece they worshiped Bachus, god of wine/pleasure

4. and in Christian churches (mainly Catholic) use wine in their religious ceremonies like communion

5. Lets make a new religion.

We will keep the part about wine being sacred and get rid of everything else.

Every Sunday you must drink wine. We must honor the Sabbath and keep it holy.

-yuri

6. #166 Messiah Decoy, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
    What great things do you strive for?

Presidency? Industry? Radical social change?

Sit your sorry ass down. Your biggest legacy will be a rusting BMW that hasn't been paid off yet.

All I'm suggesting is people should be happy with what they have instead of always wanting more.

Its sad that you have to be considered a hippie or dumb to agree with such a pragmatic concept.

7. #167 Burgerman72, Mar 18, 2015
    If nobody strived for more in life, then growth, change, and progression wouldn't exist. Sure, some people only want personal gain, but sometimes even that results in a change for the better (or worse in most cases, but not all.) open your mind, man, you have a pretty twisted view on society. But Hell, it's freedom of speech, we can all have our own opinions . Just don't be judging others for theirs, unless it is highly offensive in some way or another. Then judge all you want.

Edit: I see there was a reference to you being some dumb hippy. I'd take offence to that too. But still, I don't agree with everything you say, but that's just me.

I understand that some progress requires actual effort from individuals (though not all progress is business related).

I just think most people chasing their tail for happiness are wasting their time.

How many Americans are unhappy? What's wrong with some of these people just appreciating how incredibly lucky they are?

9. I agree with that. I don't agree with your views on stoner culture vs alcohol culture. Sure, it's different, but I have a select few people I know that I can sit down and sample different craft beers, talk about the flavor profiles... Etc... I even rock a hat every day sporting the logo of my favorite local craft brewery. Take one look at me and you know I'm both a stoner and avid beer drinker. Maybe the craft beer culture is a better example of individual cultures within alcohol users.

10. I get what yer saying.  When my wife was diagnosed with the illness and throughout her treatments, my entire world shrunk around the hope of her continued life and a good health outcome.  That's all that mattered.  That and our public healthcare system.  I was deeply grateful for the simplest things; a car that worked so I could travel to the hospital, a roof over my head, a bed, enough money to pull off a modicum of comfort and to pay for the required medications that were not covered by our healthcare system.  And our love for each other.  Everything simplified.  It was kind of a mystical liminality, a perverse ecstasy if you will.  The clarity was undeniable.

As she got better, I forgot the very things I cared for the most while she was undergoing the trials and tribulations of her illness and treatments.  All the old and unnecessary desires slowly creeped back in and I started to take for granted the very things that, just a short time ago, I deemed the most important in life.  Now it's more or less back to per usual.  We're back to striving, reaching and over extending, with all the requisite misery that accompanies life in the fast lane.

However, we do remind ourselves every now and again of what's really important.  Actually, she reminds me more than I need to remind her.

To quote Prine -

I was sitting in the bathtub counting my toes,
    When the radiator broke, water all froze.
    I got stuck in the ice without my clothes,
    Naked as the eyes of a clown.
    I was crying ice cubes hoping I'd croak,
    When the sun come through the window, the ice all broke.
    I stood up and laughed thought it was a joke
    That's the way that the world goes 'round.

11. #171 njnerd, Mar 18, 2015
    You sound like a hippie because talking about marijuana lifestyle like people's lives will be transformed entirely because of them using weed legally. You're saying that somebody like me MIGHT start thinking like you because of weed. That will never happen. It's can be a minor and major hindrance to change, but weed won't keep people inside all day. Dope does that.

I strive to make a positive difference and pass knowledge on in my lifetime. I also strive to make enough money to take care of my family in any worst case scenario. I strive to not sit home all day smoking pot and eating like a 15 year old, because that's exactly what I did when I was 15. I don't know how old you are, I'm only 19 and I think progressively. If I'm not doing something productive I'm not happy. That's how some people are and weed can't change that.

Being content with what you have is fine if it's enough but how do you justify pot, food and Netflix as enough?

I do agree that some people should be grateful for what they have and the problems they don't. However I am "unlucky" enough to be in the category that has problems I should be thankful for not having and that definitely has changed my perspective on life in the past year and half, especially in the last six months.

12. Big Pharma which makes ALOT of money, Alcohol, Cigarettes and Cancer Which Makes Alot of Money to. Threatens Oil Companies Which is huge.

You See what weed does. A Plant that's so powerful and improve our standard of living. Pain Killers Kill so many people , Weed doesn't.

It's Logical that it should be legal if it does ALL This. Restaurants would make more money and it would be much more peaceful.

I'm not opposed to people saving money on the side.

14. I think you are oversimplifying this.

Mans ego is the fountainhead of human progress.

Our desire for more is what pushes society forward. Its what keeps us from withering away

-yuri