Does weed legalization threaten consumerism?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Messiah Decoy, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Oh here we go.

Talk shit then pretend like you didn't really talk shit.

What exactly do you plan on doing when you are 50 - 60 years old? and then when you get cancer? 

Well you should calm down and have a glass of water or something cause I ment nothing by it.

The number of people who allow weed to so drastically effect their consumer life is, i think, quite small. And this type of person will exist regardless of whether weed is legal or not, so I don't think legalizing weed will have a noticeably negative effect on consumer culture. Also, if weed becomes legal, the enormous amount of tax earned by the government would surely outweigh any potential negatives that these types of people might cause on the economy. .

5. #125 well highdrated, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015

it is... 

and the only way to reasonably answer it, is to look at places where weed is legal today. Amsterdam... fantastic, lovely city. it's busy with daily life and not everyone is just laying around stoned. doing nothing. people are shopping, spending, eating out in restaurants just like in any other modern, European  city.
    Colorado.. already mentioned.. did not see any decline of consumerism.
    Washington.. not 100% sure what's going on there, but i doubt any significant changes in consumerism were observed.

i don't think your personal experience can justify the idea that consumerism is somehow affected by weed legalization. other than "some people" don't need a big house when they smoke weed, i haven't heard any rational argument as to why you think that's actually true. 

Social security? Pension? Health Insurance?

You don't need to be rich to have financial stability.

I'm not enraged in the least but your post was clearly an insult.

Well legalization hasn't been established beyond a couple states so there isn't any hard evidence whether it does or does not hurt consumerism.

It could take years before we see a dip in luxury item sales for instance.

fair enough, but you main question was if it threatens consumerism... i would have to say that it doesn't .. and it doesn't even correlate.
    i only base my opinion on observations of the effects of 1 year of legalized weed in a couple of states.
    and looking at the lives of well-known and well-established "hippies".

and looking at Amsterdam as a prime example of where weed and consumerism thrive side-by-side... there is no shortage of prada stores and shoppers, just like coffee shops and smokers. 

actually that's kind of an oxymoron in itself, since potheads from all over fly to Amsterdam to consume weed (while spending a reasonable amount of money). 
    so in a sense, serious pot users are also examples of "consumerists" .. they just consume different goods  :smoke:

10. I still don't even understand what you mean by hurt consumerism.

This idea that weed will enlighten the population and make them stop wanting shit is way out in left field.

You might as well claim mermaids night exist

-yuri

11. #131 Uncle_Meat420, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015

SS starts at 64

If you have a pension you obviously work a decent job that pays well

Health insurance costs money (unless you got mad benefits like my job provides)

That is an absolutely ludicrous idea. Dude rich people smoke weed and they still buy crazy shit. It's more like having the money and being able to afford it. Sure some stupid people live beyond there means but people who smoke weed still like nice stuff.

And you mentioned watching Twilight zone episodes, that requires at least a luxury item or two. 

Well stoners are a small segment of the population.Perhaps too small to have an impact on state-wide or nation-wide consumerism.

But it could be argued that stoners as a group are less obsessed with materialism than the general public.

and I never said all stoners should avoid electronics and live in the mountains but consumerism is constantly urging the individual to buy bigger and better tv's, phones, computers, etc.

14. you don't seem to be getting this

Syoners as a group aren't less materialistic

That's something you made up and want to believe.

Look around you dude. The majority of users on this forum.prove the entire idea to be bullshit.

I'm a huge fucking pot head. I'm smoke several times a day every single day.

I have never once turned my back on consumerism. In fact I think consumerism is the morally just philosophy toto live by.

I believe everyone should be able to endulge in nice things.

-yuri

15. Dude, you can't tell how materialistic people are based on an online persona.

And the nicest things in life aren't necessarily the most expensive. It's all a matter of perspective.

16. You can actually tell a lot.

But ill ask again. What exactly do you mean by threatens consumerism?

Do you really believe smoking weed has an influence on peoples ddesire to endulge in stuff? I've never seen anything that would even hint at that.

-yuri

17. If weed is legalized, why would it affect you like that OP? You can still do all those things at your own peril.

It won't impact much because I already toke.

But the people who become frequent users might have a change in perspective.

I could see that, but at the end of the day it's still the same. If anything people would feel less afraid for doing it.

20. No. Potheads still buy a lot of shit. And I personally would rather smoke in a nice house then a little shack. Do I want to be filthy rich? No, Do I want to be filthy poor? No. I want to be able to support me and my kid. But 150k a year wouldn't hurt. And people actually act like you have to slave work 15 hour days to make it.